Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by estedman
In terms of Category's there is no way in heck that this hotel should be a "9" maybe a "7".
As has been previously posted in various threads, categories are supposedly based on demand for award rooms, not perceived quality of the property.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohmark
As has been previously posted in various threads, categories are supposedly based on demand for award rooms, not perceived quality of the property.
Sorry. I have not read every single thread in the forum to know that. I will get right on that though, I wouldn't want you to have to point out my faults.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by estedman
Sorry. I have not read every single thread in the forum to know that. I will get right on that though, I wouldn't want you to have to point out my faults.
Glad to help. Sorry to offend.

Last edited by ohmark; Oct 7, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this property recently and can offer any good or bad. Thinking of a reward stay as a Platinum member.
Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For those curious about other options: In late-2015 we decided to try the Fairmont Miramar which is the only other decent chain property in the immediate area (there are many boutique hotels that are definitely nicer and more $$$). Really enjoyed our experience there and the location is a bit better if you plan to walk downtown to shops, restaurants, cheaper parking or nearby offices. Made good use of lobby/patio bar and the restaurants were good, if overpriced (isn't everything here?!) Using Virtuoso agent we received $100 credit, free breakfast, and a nice ocean view higher floor balcony at the Fairmont. Marriott is hit or miss on ocean view upgrades, even for Plats.

Overall I would say the Marriott rooms were a bit more updated. You can't go wrong at either place.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by holocker
I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this property recently and can offer any good or bad. Thinking of a reward stay as a Platinum member.
Thanks
Yes, we stayed a couple months ago for 2 nights on the way back from Hawaii. Overall it was a positive experience. I had read some reviews that the rooms were dated but the one we got was pretty modern so maybe they updated them recently.

Don't worry about the views. Even the best rooms facing the ocean have a much bigger building right in front blocking your view so I wouldn't make that a priority.

When I mentioned it was our honeymoon they did the whole champagne and chocolate covered strawberries bit so that was nice.

One small issue was with the breakfast coupons for Plat. If you get them just be careful and ask for clarification again and again if you need it. They are only good for the "continental breakfast" which IMO they need to define specifically what that means. The host said we could get whatever we wanted and I thought that meant hot food too. I've seen oatmeal, eggs, and other hot items on "continental breakfasts." So I was pretty surprised when I got a bill for $30 after getting a bagel and 2 pieces of bacon He worked it out in the end but it made for some awkward moments between us and the waitress.

There weren't many restaurants within walking distance but it's great for beach access and close to the pier too. Hope this helps.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update Marko123, and congrats on the wedding/honeymoon!

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:29 am

BTW - this is what I have in the exec lounge sticky for the property, based on a report from a year ago:

* Santa Monica / LeMerigot, JW Marriott / NO LOUNGE; $16.95 credit/person towards breakfast which covers cont'l brekkie; additional charge to upgrade to full brekkie; 07/08/15 update

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - this is what I have in the exec lounge sticky for the property, based on a report from a year ago:

* Santa Monica / LeMerigot, JW Marriott / NO LOUNGE; $16.95 credit/person towards breakfast which covers cont'l brekkie; additional charge to upgrade to full brekkie; 07/08/15 update

Cheers.
Thanks! That sounds about right too.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Found hotel to be fair at best and a little tired

Just my opinion
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:56 pm

If my biggest priority, is a nice ocean view, would you recommend this hotel or the Le Meridian Delfina Santa Monica?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:21 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Le Meridien Delfina is not on the beach. It is a number of blocks away and you can see the water from some of the rooms but in the distance.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by moefl
If my biggest priority, is a nice ocean view, would you recommend this hotel or the Le Meridian Delfina Santa Monica?
Not all rooms have ocean views here, but it's close to the beach vs. the LeM.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by moefl
Delfina is not even in the same league as the JW - read the reviews and you'll see why. It is basically a rebranded Four Points and nowhere near as nice a location.

JW is not technically "on the beach" like Loews where you can step off the property into the sand but it is sufficiently close that I doubt most people would care.

However you should know that many JW rooms do not have an unobstructed ocean view so if that's a top priority you might want to consider the Fairmont Miramar. Most rooms have ocean views though the hotel actually on the other side of Ocean and a bit farther from the beach due to the cliff.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:11 pm

Thanks guys!

Im looking to use spg points for my stay which therefore eliminates a hotel like the Fairmont.

I dont necessarily care if its one block or 5 blocks from the beach, as long as i can sit outside on an balcony and watch the beach and sunset.

Is it fair to say, that if I get a direct oceanview room on a higher floor at the Le Meridian, that i will get a much better all encompassing view of the ocean, rather than if I stay at this Marriott? Many people above were writing that alot of the oceanview rooms/balconies at the Marriott have obstructed views, and you would need to be standing in order to see the ocean.

Am i correct in my assumption why I may like a oceanview room at the LM better than the Marriott, or am I making a mistake?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.