FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/589797-le-merigot-santa-monica-ca-former-jw-master-thread.html)

bokeyes23 Feb 22, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you for the updated response, I didn't feel the 2011 data was adequate for my question, but appreciate your concerns over the duplication of information. As stated in my question, I plan on providing an up to date review, so I was hoping for a reciprocation from a recent guest at the property on their experience.

Providing a pedantic review of the posting policy may have been perceived as helpful to some, but I personally found the detailed, recent review to help best. May be a best practice some of us Flyertalkers may want to incorporate in our dealings with fellow members, but that's just one persons opinion.

Again I will provide feedback once my travel is complete, thanks again for the up to date information from all!

Boraxo Feb 22, 2013 12:03 pm

The earlier reviews basically addressed all of your questions. Nothing has changed in the past 2 years. That being said it is certainly nice to get updated reviews.

To avoid the "pedantic" responses it is helpful to either: (1) Use the existing master thread, assuming you can find it - in this case easy to do by hotel name or location, Or (2) Note that you have tried a search or that you didn't find earlier threads to be helpful. Otherwise the assumption is that you just didn't look.

simong Feb 25, 2013 2:02 am

Been a while since I have seen this thread, there is a lot of talk about it being set back (which it is) and all views are obstructed.. A picture paints a thousand words so wanted to share what the view is like from the end rooms.. Can't complain IMHO..

http://i48.tinypic.com/22xs1f.jpg

LatinAmericaFlyer Mar 10, 2013 10:43 pm

This picture accurately captures the Le Merigot. It's not technically on the beach like the Renaissance La Concha, but it's less than a two minute walk... hardly anything to complain about. I have received nice suite upgrades as a platinum at this property.

bokeyes23 Mar 20, 2013 9:00 am

EASY Choice between Hotels JW Santa Monica or MDR Ritz: Not Even Comparable

I must say that I really appreciate all the advice and sharing of the room photo's, but my experience was not anywhere near comparable. The views for all rooms except the room you took a picture from are COMPLETELY obstructed, I could see a sliver of ocean and sand and definitely not the Pier, which was my hope. We were upgraded to a room with a nice balcony, but the hotel is no where NEAR category 8 expectations.

Let me preface this summary with the fact I HAD to stay at the Ritz Carlton Marina Del Ray my last night of the trip after choosing this hotel for my family for 5 nights, I waited a week to post this response hoping I would regret my decision less, I do not.

Dated, albeit not to badly, are the rooms and hotel. The sink didn't drain well in the room, not to bad, but taking a shower in a pool of my own filth since the drain didn't work= gross. The sink in the spa was no better, over 1 minute to drain after minimal use, so it seemed to be systemic in nature. The outdoor pool are felt dated as well, especially the walking area to beach from the pool, rusted, cracking tile, old. I understand nature's tole, but category 8= high expectations in maintenance and quality.

The Spa was sub par at best; I love steam rooms and this one was an older, dingy steam room. When I asked for eucalyptus I was told it was automatic and they couldn't add it but would look into it. This happened about 8 times in 5 days, one time during the evening a worker did make more eucalyptus come out when the steam did, but that was 1 time in 8 days at a category 8 hotel. The staff just wasn't the caliber I would expect at a Spa so highly touted. The facility was a Groupon gone bad caliber IMO, I have never paid for a spa that bad. I did go to a Spa in Anaheim Hills later in the week, amazingly nicer in quality and had no hotel affiliation.

The breakfast certificate is for $16.95 for toast, oatmeal, juice and yogurt I believe, or what is called the continental breakfast, the $15 pancakes could be another options. Obviously prices are higher in Santa Monica so this was expected. Quality was no better though, less then local breakfast downtown at 1/3 the price.

The location of the hotel is ok, but you can't see anything from the balcony unless you are the lucky 1 maybe 2 rooms that still have a view of the pier. It is Santa Monica so noisy car traffic when relaxing on balcony, and walking around the area you realize how close to Venice and how dirty everything is. Not the fun atmosphere I was expecting. Wife and Family were not impressed or happy with the choice, I would rather have stayed in Fullerton at the Marriott for 40,000 points, those rooms are comparable to these. ( this cost 160,000 points for comparison). I couldn't see the ocean from the room really or hear it, so location didn't do much for me, perhaps more traffic, dirtier and higher parking cost.

The Marina Del Ray Ritz was beautiful, everything I would expect from a a top notch hotel, undoubtedly better in every aspect from the JW. I choose the JW for the pier, beach, kids swings/park by hotel, proximity to downtown LA, category 8, steam room/spa, ambiance I was hoping for. The Ritz put me in a much larger room with separate shower and tub, with a great view of the marina, balcony a very small one, but great views, could see LA, the Marina, the Mountains everything. The hotel had a wonderful pool, huge hot tub, yoga grass area, tennis courts, basketball court (would have sold me there), quite, spectacular property, great service. Short drive to Santa Monica if you want to see the pier or spend the day, so much cleaner I can't describe, so much quieter it was amazing. I would highly encourage anyone considering the 2 choices like I did, please do not even consider the JW, it has no advantage I am aware of over the Ritz in terms of the property, the hotel is sub par for a nice Marriott, let a lone a JW.

I only put this in short, blunt terms in order to save someone the agony and time considering staying at the JW. You might like it, say its ok, and enjoy ignoring the things I mentioned. Or go to the MDR Ritz, get what you pay for, relax and have a great property and hotel at your disposal. FYI public parking directly across the street from RITZ for $8 day too :)

I did park on the street in Santa Monica for free most nights and in the City parking garage about 2 blocks away for $5 day. Bruno's Italian down the street is GREAT, had about 3 meals there and all were amazing with great prices. Home cooked meal can't beat it! Right by the pier fyi on Ocean Ave.

I also stayed at a Residence Inn in Anaheim Hills which I would prefer over the JW, views of the mountain were great, room was decent and came with $65 spa credit at local hot springs ( all better the JW facilities) and a Residence inn in Costa Mesa, I would stay at the JW over that one though :)

I had pics of the Ritz views, but deleted them after thinking its not worth showing the Mrs. what I didn't pick over the JW. The ones of my balcony at JW have family in them so won;t post, but the pic above is a great example of the possible room you have a very slim chance of getting! otherwise just picture a huge white building where the ocean is and more of the hotel where the pier is, the sky looks the same though!

pbiflyer Apr 27, 2013 8:26 am

So, no concierge lounge at this property?

jtp1947 Apr 27, 2013 8:39 am

Correct.

Hosserunda Aug 3, 2014 1:49 pm

Did they just renovate this hotel? The photos on the Marriott website look so much nicer and very different than the ones on Tripadvisor and in the reports here on flyertalk.

Hosserunda Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

I stayed at this hotel this week for two nights in points. Quick report:

+ location is just perfect if you want to stay on MR points in Santa Monica. Even if you don't care about the pier, everything is in walking distance.
+ Lobby is new, public areas like courtyard and pool are nice.
+ I have to confirm that there are at least 20 rooms from my count with balcony that will offer an awesome oceanview. Of course not 180 degree unobstructed, but definitely good view.
+ Rooms definitely have been upgraded recently, new walls and carpeting I would say.

- No upgrade for plats. Got a standard city view, facing the courtyard.
- I tried to reach them over twitter, Facebook and email prior to my stay but nobody bothered to respond to me or answer my questions and request for an ocean view room.
- As states above, rooms have been partially renovated but unfortunately only "half-assed". The furniture is partly disgusting, the beds worn out. The bathrooms old and used. Below the standard any JW should ever be.
- bathrooms are huge, but what does it give you if you can dance in the bath room but there's not enough space at the sink to store two amenity bags?
- shower head is so low, you can't put your head under it if you're over 6.
- breakfast is the biggest joke I've ever experienced at any marriott!!! (400+ nights). You get a voucher as a plat for $16,50, enough for the continental BF. You can upgrade to the full warm buffet for $12 extra per person. However, I've seen better BF at Fairfield inns than here. No fresh egg bar, very few cold items, only 3-4 breads, nothing special. Even the eggs Benedict are pre-made and kept warm. Disgusting. The overall selection is really really poor. Worst: The full buffet for $28++ doesn't even include coffee specialties like cappuccino. $7 extra!!! What a joke.
- I had a letter shipped to the hotel. They charged me $3. Huh??? Oh yes you're right. 45.000 points / $600 per night is not enough.
- The bar does not have any draft beers. None!
- The mini bar in the room is from the last millennium. When it turns on, it sounds like a huge truck is starting it's engine in your room. Also you need a key to open it which they did not tell us about at checkin. A guy came up but didn't find the right key. He left the minibar unlocked from his own general key. The next day it was locked again.
- The safe, just the the mini bar is also from the last millennium. It also has an old style key which we had to call for to get it. Annoying to have to carry it around with you.

Few more points but I feel I don't have to write them to deliver my conclusion which is I would never ever stay here again. The hotel obviously is doing great with people who stay in the area for business and want to collect thousands of MR points per stay on their companies dime. I personally would never ever stay here again, it's not a good hotel and doesn't give you back even 5% of what you spend (no matter if cash or points).

ohmark Aug 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hosserunda (Post 23366141)
+ I have to confirm that there are at least 20 rooms from my count with balcony that will offer an awesome oceanview. Of course not 180 degree unobstructed, but definitely good view.

The problem with almost all of the balconies is that they have solid walls of a height that requires you to stand on the balcony to enjoy a view. If you sit or recline on the balcony--your only view is of the walls, the sky, your room, and other rooms.

Hosserunda Aug 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark (Post 23366540)
The problem with almost all of the balconies is that they have solid walls of a height that requires you to stand on the balcony to enjoy a view. If you sit or recline on the balcony--your only view if of the walls, the sky, and your room.

Your statement might be correct. However, I wanted to make the point that some of the info in postings above is not true, saying that there are only 1-2 rooms at the hotel that have a good ocean view. Maybe you need to step on the balcony to have the ocean view, in my mind that's ok. The balcony is part of the room too.

Just two things I forgot that I think are important:

- We wanted to print out two emails at the business center. Even if you already paid for Internet access at your room, or got it free as a platinum... The internet at the business center costs $7 for 10 minutes. Printing is extra. They are completely out of their heads!!!
- We had absolutely no traffic noise from the street, but although we were 4-5 rooms away from the elevator we heard it going all the time. The building is very noise sensitive and you shouldn't expect to have a very quiet room.

SkiAdcock Aug 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the update on the property. I'll also update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

west_end_NYC Sep 30, 2014 2:47 pm

I just booked a 3 night MR stay at the JW Le Merigot for next March. However, after reading the last couple of posts I am now a bit skeptical. Is this property really that sub-par for a JW? I was also considering the Ritz Marina del Rey, but initially chose Le Merigot due to inclusion of free breakfast (I am Marriott Gold) and proximity to Pier, etc.

Boraxo Sep 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel and Spa, Santa Monica, CA

They are roughly equivalent except for location. It depends on what you value. If you want a quiet room and proximity to LAX then RC is a good call. If you want to be walking distance from shopping, nightlife and Santa Monica beach then JW is best. If you have a rental car either will work.

estedman Oct 4, 2014 2:10 pm

In terms of Category's there is no way in heck that this hotel should be a "9" maybe a "7".