Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Do any of the rooms at the JW have pull out sofas and a king bed? That would probably be the most ideal setup for us (vs say two double beds).
danbnash likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My wife and I recently completed a six-day stay at the Marriott at 555 Canal, which we were attending for a conference. Look, the hotel is very big and very suited for conference-goers, so I would not call it charming. But the service was great, including some great advice and restaurant recommendations from the concierge desk, and everything worked well - housekeeping, a pretty decent gym, etc. Plus, due to either my Marriott Platinum or her Marriott Gold status, we received a free upgrade to a largish (albeit with a small bathroom), quiet, corner room (2802) with a good view in two directions, including toward the Mississippi. For those who can get the 02 corner rooms, I'd highly recommend them.

A nice little perk of the place is that if you have Netflix (and perhaps other apps?) you can access your account for free on the tv in the room. BUT make sure to sign out when you leave, as the person staying in the room before me did not do so (so I did it for him/her).

The only lounge is a rather small and charmless one on the ground floor, where Marriott elites can get some sort of breakfast. We didn't use or need it, so it didn't make any difference for us.

Finally, I'd contrast this hotel with the supposedly more upscale JW Marriott New Orleans, which we stayed at several years ago, and which I realize some folks here prefer. The JW was fine in most respects, but it has paper thin walls that are a real drag in terms of hearing the tiniest movements (not to mention some loud cackling) from next door. Perhaps we just got lucky, but we heard nothing this time in our room in the Marriott except a bit of the rush of elevators a couple doors down from us, and that was not a problem at all.
silverthief2 and danbnash like this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
NOLA advice, no status

We've got ~700K Marriott pts and thinking of booking 6-7 nights in NOLA using a Travel Package. Since we have no status would the RI on St. Joseph St. be a good choice? We enjoy the free breakfasts we've had before at other RI and the airline miles are a nice bonus. The extra large rooms w/kitchen are nice too. Thoughts?

Edit: Booked the Homewood Suites FQ a couple days ago but now thinking a Marriott TP makes more sense.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 25, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:03 pm

Looking for a current recommendation. My husband and I will be going away for our first trip sans child. We've chosen NOLA for 2 nights beginning of January. I haven't been in 15 years and husband has never been. We're interested in food, drinking, and music. I'm Platinum and husband would like to feel like he's in a "nice" area, while I'd just like to be walking distance to the major places. Currently, the Marriott is actually pricing higher than the JW and Renaissance. Would consider any of the full service hotels, including SPG. Thoughts?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Stayed at both, JW Marriott is MUCH nicer and is almost directly across the street with an entrance on Canal street. Nice lounge on the ground floor too. Those 2 are the best in relation to Bourbon street unless you want to stay at the W which is in the quarter.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:41 pm

I've stayed at most of the Marriotts in New Orleans. My current favorite is the Queen & Crescent. It is Autograph collection. The rooms are smaller but recently renovated. Very good cooked to order breakfast for Gold and Platinums. The location in the central business district is safe and quiet but close to everything.
I recommend Frenchman Street for good music. Cochon and Restaurant Rebirth are two of my current favorites places to eat but there are many wonderful options. Don't miss the happy hour st Luke if you like oysters.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Jjfab
I recommend Frenchman Street for good music. Cochon and Restaurant Rebirth are two of my current favorites places to eat but there are many wonderful options. Don't miss the happy hour st Luke if you like oysters.
Thanks for the suggestions. Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The JW is smaller than the Marriott, the latter being more of a convention hotel. They're across the street from each other give or take. Both have exec lounges which will be open during the week. If rates are basically the same I'd go w/ the JW.

Cheers.
Considering that the Marriott (555 Canal St.) has an M Club Lounge would you still choose the JW? We're a retired couple w/Gold status.

Also, can you request a small fridge at JW?

Last edited by philemer; Dec 30, 2017 at 1:30 pm Reason: Marriott has small fridges but not if JW does
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Looking at the recent reviews for the JW on the marriott website, it has a rather large number of pretty poor/ so-so comments, including serveral from Gold/Plats.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...t-new-orleans/
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
Looking at the recent reviews for the JW on the marriott website, it has a rather large number of pretty poor/ so-so comments, including serveral from Gold/Plats.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...t-new-orleans/
Thanks for the link. I need to look at Marriott reviews more often.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:49 pm

Will be in New Orleans for work. Which of the hotels (JW Marriott vs Marriott Convention Center vs ???) would have the best breakfast and lounge food?

Currently Marriott Gold. Location is not important for me. Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
The convention center lounge wasn't so great. The JW was better but I don't remember the Marriot. From what I recall none of them down there are spectacular. Last time I was at the JW the lounge was on ground floor so no views. Regular Marriot had views. Renaissance offered breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
In the latter part of February, I must attend two days of conference (8:30 - 5 pm) held in the Crown Plaza near the airport.

I get a great rate at the Fairfield, but usually prefer a full-service Marriott. The closest one, New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, is double the rate of the Fairfield and does not have an airport shuttle. I do not know about this lounge versus food options near the Fairfield.

I recently had foot surgery but think the 15 minute walk Fairfield to Crown Plaza is doable. Is there any compelling reason to go with the Marriott that would require Uber/Lyft to move around?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
In the latter part of February, I must attend two days of conference (8:30 - 5 pm) held in the Crown Plaza near the airport.

I get a great rate at the Fairfield, but usually prefer a full-service Marriott. The closest one, New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway, is double the rate of the Fairfield and does not have an airport shuttle. I do not know about this lounge versus food options near the Fairfield.

I recently had foot surgery but think the 15 minute walk Fairfield to Crown Plaza is doable. Is there any compelling reason to go with the Marriott that would require Uber/Lyft to move around?
Have you read any of the reviews of the FFI MSY on other sites, like TripAdvisor? Some of them are pretty not great. We are staying there for one night (in May) because we're arriving in the evening on a Saturday night and FQ etc. hotels are through the roof, plus we have a Chase cat. 1-5 certificate to use so it will be free.

However, I know the faults going in and for one night I can deal with them. I've been thrown out of worse places.

Do you have to stay at a Marriott property at all for just these 2 nights? Are there any airport hotels closer to the Crowne Plaza that are better?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks for the warning which explains the drop in rate at the Fairfield that I noticed today ($120>$84).

It is a three night stay and I need a Marriott property to keep elite status so I suppose the Metairie at Lakewood is the way to go despite the price. Most all the other Marriott properties with lounges cost more than Metairie for my nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.