Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The PM has had this wording about this room for years. They should be applauded for offering this particular room at a very discounted price, rather than trying to pawn it off on some unsuspecting guest. They are very, very upfront about this room and this policy. If you are willing to take this room, you know ahead of times there will be no UG.

The T&Cs are clear that UGs are at the hotel's discretion.
Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.
In this instance, the hotel has identified that UGs will not be available if you book this room type. The hotel could wait until the time of check-in to let guests know, but is very upfront in letting guests know both before booking and after booking.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The PM has had this wording about this room for years. They should be applauded for offering this particular room at a very discounted price, rather than trying to pawn it off on some unsuspecting guest. They are very, very upfront about this room and this policy. If you are willing to take this room, you know ahead of times there will be no UG.

The T&Cs are clear that UGs are at the hotel's discretion.

In this instance, the hotel has identified that UGs will not be available if you book this room type. The hotel could wait until the time of check-in to let guests know, but is very upfront in letting guests know both before booking and after booking.
I completely agree that upgrades are at the hotel discretion and are of course subject to availibility. Excluding elite benefits from certain rates (revenue or reward, unless specifically mentioned as an exception in the program's T&C, seems to be a fairly substantial contradiction to said T&C. What's next, no breakfast and/or lounge access for elites booking discounted rates or on awards?

That said, I wouldn't be as annoyed if this were disclosed upfront at the time of booking. Eujeanie so helpfully the rate rule for the room. However, when I looked at the rate rules at the time of booking in April, and now when I check it out on Marriott's website, this is exactly what I see:

Rate Rules

Big Discount, Tiny Room - 119 SQFT, see Rate Rules

Modifying Your Reservation
Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.
Result of a glitch? Perhaps.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
As a newly minted Marriott Gold (Thanks to UA Gold that I had), I have zero experience with Marriott.
So, Marriott gurus, please weigh in on my choices for New Orleans for Labor Day weekend.
I'm interested in the following, in order:

1) I'm price-conscious (a teacher!) but open to the $34 more per night at the JW if it's notably better than the cheaper ones.
2) Free breakfast, even better if it's good quality
3) Free internet (are both breakfast and internet free for Marriott Gold?)
4) Lounge access/ free drinks
5) Room Upgrades
6) Location-- I have stayed at and loved the Hampton Inn DT/Convention Center, which is actually more distant than any Marriott property. Didn't love the long walk, but it was worth it for a $79/night room, with upgrades to a 1BR suite in a gorgeous renovated building.

Here are my options:

Residence Inn Downtown $127
Marriott Downtown/Conv. Center $127
Spring Hill Suites Downtown $132
Marriott New Orleans $151
CY on St. Charles $161
JW Marriott $161

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!
Old May 24, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
My pecking order (with intentional spacing):

JW Marriott $161

CY on St. Charles $161

Stay Home

Residence Inn Downtown $127/Marriott Downtown/Conv. Center $127/Spring Hill Suites Downtown $132

I'd actually put the Iberville CY above the JW, and the Perr Marquette before the Marriott New Orleans, but those weren't on your list. The JW being the same cost as the CY puts the CY out of contention, and the JW is worth and extra ten a night over the FS. With the others, you may save on the hotel, but you lose more than that in time value getting back and forth to the French Quarter and other tourist spots.

One more thing... after you make the reservation at the JW, go to the LNF thread and see if any of the awesome people who frequent that thread can help you get an even better rate through LNF. It's worth a try. There is nothing to lose. And many of those people are amazing at finding a better rate.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by CJKatl
My pecking order (with intentional spacing):

JW Marriott $161

CY on St. Charles $161

Stay Home

Residence Inn Downtown $127/Marriott Downtown/Conv. Center $127/Spring Hill Suites Downtown $132

I'd actually put the Iberville CY above the JW, and the Perr Marquette before the Marriott New Orleans, but those weren't on your list. The JW being the same cost as the CY puts the CY out of contention, and the JW is worth and extra ten a night over the FS. With the others, you may save on the hotel, but you lose more than that in time value getting back and forth to the French Quarter and other tourist spots.

One more thing... after you make the reservation at the JW, go to the LNF thread and see if any of the awesome people who frequent that thread can help you get an even better rate through LNF. It's worth a try. There is nothing to lose. And many of those people are amazing at finding a better rate.
Thanks for that reply. Keep em coming!
FYI I didn't put some others on the list because they were either sold out (Ritz Carlton) or over $200/night (French Quarter hotels).
Thanks again!
Old May 25, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by kyushuman
As a newly minted Marriott Gold (Thanks to UA Gold that I had), I have zero experience with Marriott.
So, Marriott gurus, please weigh in on my choices for New Orleans for Labor Day weekend.
I'm interested in the following, in order:

1) I'm price-conscious (a teacher!) but open to the $34 more per night at the JW if it's notably better than the cheaper ones.
2) Free breakfast, even better if it's good quality
3) Free internet (are both breakfast and internet free for Marriott Gold?)
4) Lounge access/ free drinks
5) Room Upgrades
6) Location-- I have stayed at and loved the Hampton Inn DT/Convention Center, which is actually more distant than any Marriott property. Didn't love the long walk, but it was worth it for a $79/night room, with upgrades to a 1BR suite in a gorgeous renovated building.

Here are my options:

Residence Inn Downtown $127
Marriott Downtown/Conv. Center $127
Spring Hill Suites Downtown $132
CY on St. Charles $161
JW Marriott $161

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!
Definitely avoid the CY St Charles. No breakfast there. On top of that, their lowest cost rooms are the "smaller rooms" which live up to the name, one queen bed and not much else, with the only window opening up to an interior hallway. As a Gold, you may get upgraded out of it, but no guarantees.

The full service hotels have lounges, but according to this thread, the one out by the convention center may be the only one open on weekends.

As far as room upgrades, the JW is your best bet. I think fully 1/3 of the rooms there are oversized corner rooms. I've never not gotten one as a Gold or Plat.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Marriott-family hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

I would vote for the JW. Just got back from a stay there and got one of the oversized corner rooms as a Plat. Plus, one of the better Lounges I've been to in a while.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by chuckworth
I would vote for the JW. Just got back from a stay there and got one of the oversized corner rooms as a Plat. Plus, one of the better Lounges I've been to in a while.
Was that on the weekend? Was the exec lounge open? If not, what was the brekkie situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Was that on the weekend? Was the exec lounge open? If not, what was the brekkie situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.

I was there last month and the Lounge closes starting Friday afternoon for the weekend. I didn't spend the weekend, so not sure about weekend brekkie.
The Lounge is currently on the first floor next to FD. The hotel is under remodeling and some elevators were not working and some floors closed off. The Lounge had been on a higher floor, and a cocktail bar was converted into the Lounge. Not sure if this is temporary location or it will be moved back to where it was previously.
I agree the morning and evening spreads are very nice. It was very weak in the yogurt area, but otherwise very good.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My bad. I just realized the JW is one of the 14 properties that is closed on the weekends& doesn't offer brekkie option, but 1,000 points instead.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:06 pm

I love the JW in New Orleans. They are consistently the most polite Marriott staff with whom I have worked. Always upgraded. Lounge is far superior to most lounges.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
FYI... The Executive Lounge at the JW NOLA is now open on the weekends. Just had breakfast there! Still no evening snacks/dessert though, but still it's nice of them to open for breakfast.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dat4life
FYI... The Executive Lounge at the JW NOLA is now open on the weekends. Just had breakfast there! Still no evening snacks/dessert though, but still it's nice of them to open for breakfast.
If you haven't yet, it would be helpful it you noted this in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html thread so that the thread can be updated.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
just did 4 nights at the Ritz..............loved it. bathtub was amazing.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I just stayed three nights at the JW last week. The staff were great and the service was very good. The property however seemed a bit dated to me. The hallway areas seemed pretty fresh, but the rooms were a bit on the older side and could probably use a refub soon.

In addition, the lounge in no longer on the 27th floor, it's been moved to a very dated, strange looking room on the first floor just behind the check-in desk. The offerings were still good, especially for breakfast, however it was a strange setting. Overall, for the rate I was able to get ($119/night) it was a good deal, however I would probably explore some of the other properties next time, just to see how they compare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.