Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 15, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT Premier, AA Gold, UA Silver, National Exec, Goose Island MBA
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
The Saint for the reason you stated: the location. I would actually do the CY Iberville over the Saint if you can get that. Fewer points, better hotel, virtually same location.

Enjoy!
Same amount of points for the JW Marriott - any idea if the renovations are complete or will be by December?

CY Iberville is currently sold out but I'll keep looking, I'm happy to save the points.
Old Oct 28, 15, 6:40 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
just did 4 nights at the Ritz..............loved it. bathtub was amazing.
Thanks for your suggestion. Stayed there in September and it was outstanding. Heading back in two weeks for 4 nights and upgraded to the Club using the RC Card upgrades.
Old Oct 28, 15, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Rapid Rewards
I stayed at the JW in July. Was our actual room the most updated and what you might expect from a JW? No. Is the rest of the hotel very nice? Yes. The staff were great - very accommodating and welcoming. They were moving the M-club the day after we left, but the food there was VERY good. The location is great - at least for accessing French Quarter. Short and easy walk. The area seemed safe. We had considered the Saint, but my husband was nervous about it's proximity to Rampart Street - which is not known to be a good area at all. Not sure if that is or isn't an issue. We paid only a little over a hundred per night. My husband works for the govt, so we either used a govt rate or a it might have been a AAA Hot Deal. It's hotter than hades down there in July, so maybe rooms at cheaper then too?
Old Oct 28, 15, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott PLT Premier, AA Gold, UA Silver, National Exec, Goose Island MBA
Originally Posted by dmazza View Post
I stayed at the JW in July. Was our actual room the most updated and what you might expect from a JW? No. Is the rest of the hotel very nice? Yes. The staff were great - very accommodating and welcoming. They were moving the M-club the day after we left, but the food there was VERY good. The location is great - at least for accessing French Quarter. Short and easy walk. The area seemed safe. We had considered the Saint, but my husband was nervous about it's proximity to Rampart Street - which is not known to be a good area at all. Not sure if that is or isn't an issue. We paid only a little over a hundred per night. My husband works for the govt, so we either used a govt rate or a it might have been a AAA Hot Deal. It's hotter than hades down there in July, so maybe rooms at cheaper then too?
The general rule is to not walk up (away from the river) from Rampart. I've stayed on Rampart itself and it was fine but I wouldn't venture much further at night.

Thanks for the update on the JW. I think I'll stay there for New Years unless I can scrounge enough points for the Ritz.

ETA the JW is closer to two of my three favorite NOLA restaurants - Luke and Cochon. The third is equidistant - K-Pauls (RIP Chef Prudhomme). I'm excited to try out R'evolution next trip.

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Oct 28, 15 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 17, 15, 11:56 am

I'm staying in 3 Marriott properties over the upcoming holidays - the SHS in Warehouse District, the AC, and the JWM. Will post a compare/contrast.
Old Dec 20, 15, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
I'm staying in 3 Marriott properties over the upcoming holidays - the SHS in Warehouse District, the AC, and the JWM. Will post a compare/contrast.
Thanks - look forward to your report.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 16, 5:36 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
My family and I stayed at the New Orleans Ritz for a couple of days before Christmas, and we had a great time. We were upgraded to a courtyard suite through the AmEx fine hotels and resorts program and the room was very nice. My wife also use the spa, and she said it was nice.
Old Jan 12, 16, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the report on the Ritz. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 16, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji View Post
Any update? I'm trying to decide where to stay.
Old Jan 29, 16, 1:50 pm

Sorry, been fairly busy with stuff so haven't had a chance to post yet.

I stayed at 3 hotels over 10 days in New Orleans - the JW, the AC, and the SHS.

The JW was probably a lower level JW compared to the others I've stayed at.

The good: The rooms were a bit dated albeit very comfortable. The property still has desks. The lounge was one of the nicest I've been to. It was closed on the weekend except for breakfast. There is a pool table and board games on the upper level. However the food seemed to go fairly quickly. Also, on Wednesdays they have a manager's reception where the honor bar is free (!), needless to say I took advantage. Late checkout was granted (2 PM). The hotel bar was nice but there is no reason to drink there when there are so many great places around. They also were just opening a Fogo de Chao in the adjoining building, but again, don't waste your time with all the fantastic food available.

The bad: There were elevator renovations going on meaning 2 of 4 elevators were out of service, leading to long wait times. The hotel was very crowded due to New Years and the Sugar Bowl, lots of fans from Ole Miss and Oklahoma State. Housekeeping staff began making rounds at 8:30!! Anyone who has been to New Orleans knows that most days you don't want to be woken up before noon, so after the first night I hung the Do Not Disturb sign.

---

The Springhill Suites was the worst of the properties I stayed at. Rooms were clearly dated as well, with some damaged fixtures (towel rack for one). The closet layout didn't make any sense as you had to sit on the bed to put anything in. The staff were very nice. The location leaves a bit to be desired if you are going to the FQ but its pretty easy to get to the Garden District, Warehouse District, and Riverwalk Mall. There seemed to be a lot of people staying a night before or after their cruise (that terminal is also close by). Still, I'd recommend looking elsewhere unless you need a suite for more than 2 people.

---

The AC was what I expected from AC hotels (first stay). Room was nice, with high ceilings and plenty of room. Only shower (no tub). No lounge, but there is a nice roof deck. The "bar" in the lobby was unspectacular but solid. Its a block from the JW so still a great location for the city. Easy walk to the FQ and Superdome. This is a good budget option for a single traveler or couple.

---

Delving a little OT, I am of the belief that New Orleans is the best city to eat and drink in in the country. Highlights for food: Trenasse, Luke, Restaurant Rebirth and Borgne for higher-end Creole and Cajun (seafood abounds). Domenica for great Italian, especially their pizzas. Coop's Place is a dive bar that serves amazing fried chicken and red beans and rice. Old standbys include K-Pauls (RIP chef), August, Herbsaint, Emeril's, etc. You seriously cannot go wrong in this city.
Old Jan 29, 16, 6:55 pm

Looking at the following hotel on points. These 3 are the only ones available. Will be there in a few weeks and want a fun location/atmosphere. Which one of these should I pick?

Courtyard Downtown near the French Quarter
Renaissance Arts Hotel
Residence Inn Downtown

Right now those are the only 3, but if there is a particular one that I should watch out for, please give that suggestion too! Thanks!

Last edited by lovebug; Jan 29, 16 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 29, 16, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
Looking at the following hotel on points. These 3 are the only ones available. Will be there in a few weeks and want a fun location/atmosphere. Which one of these should I pick?

Courtyard Downtown
Renaissance
Residence Inn Downtown

Right now those are the only 3, but if there is a particular one that I should watch out for, please give that suggestion too! Thanks!
Gotta be more specific. Which CY? Iberville is great. The other one is horrid. Which Ren? Many like the PM, many don't. Many like the Arts, many don't. Depending on which CY and which Ren, the RI may be your best choice, or may be your worst choice.
Old Jan 29, 16, 7:21 pm

Gotta be more specific. Which CY? Iberville is great. The other one is horrid. Which Ren? Many like the PM, many don't. Many like the Arts, many don't. Depending on which CY and which Ren, the RI may be your best choice, or may be your worst choice.
Sorry. I added the changes. It's the CY near the French Quarter. Also, the Ren Arts.
Old Jan 30, 16, 6:26 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
Sorry. I added the changes. It's the CY near the French Quarter. Also, the Ren Arts.
OK, I cannot believe I'm writing this, but given your parameters, I'd choose the CY. It's the only one that is quick walking distance from the French Quarter. It's also walking distance to Harrahs, if you are so inclined. It is a meh CY with non-descript rooms, but it wins, IMO, because of location.

The Ren Arts is beautiful, but farther away. Plus, I had trouble sleeping there because the architecture created a loud echo allowing me to hear everyone walk down the hall all night. The RI is also too far from everywhere you want to be.

If you are looking for a nicer hotel, keep an eye open for the CY Iberville (cool rooms, great location), the JW (not as nice as most JWs, but good location and still nice), the Ritz (expensive points-wise and not worth it for your type of trip, IMO), the Saint or the Ren PM. About the Ren PM: some rooms are great and others are not, so you have a chance at awesome or a chance at cramped. Even the Marriott on Canal, which is a convention hotel, would be a better choice than the CY you list, especially if you can get one of the larger rooms.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 30, 16, 6:38 am

OK, I cannot believe I'm writing this, but given your parameters, I'd choose the CY. It's the only one that is quick walking distance from the French Quarter. It's also walking distance to Harrahs, if you are so inclined. It is a meh CY with non-descript rooms, but it wins, IMO, because of location.

The Ren Arts is beautiful, but farther away. Plus, I had trouble sleeping there because the architecture created a loud echo allowing me to hear everyone walk down the hall all night. The RI is also too far from everywhere you want to be.

If you are looking for a nicer hotel, keep an eye open for the CY Iberville (cool rooms, great location), the JW (not as nice as most JWs, but good location and still nice), the Ritz (expensive points-wise and not worth it for your type of trip, IMO), the Saint or the Ren PM. About the Ren PM: some rooms are great and others are not, so you have a chance at awesome or a chance at cramped. Even the Marriott on Canal, which is a convention hotel, would be a better choice than the CY you list, especially if you can get one of the larger rooms.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks so much for your info! So helpful! The Ritz did just open up. I'll watch out for the other ones!

Search this Thread