Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
JW NOLA

Stayed here about 3 years ago. Nice hotel that is convenient to everything. Good lounge, but probably not applicable since you will be there on a weekend. Lobby had a few restaurants..

This is more of a convention hotel with two towers of rooms and expansive open areas. You might want to see if there are any conventions in town, because they may overrun the hotel.. At the rate that you qouted, it doesn't seem to be a high occupancy week.

enjoy.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
JW or Renaissance Pere Marquette. Do NOT go to the NoLa Marriott. One of the worst stays I've ever had. The breakfast buffet at the JW is fantastic in Shula's and it is right infront of everything. It's a smaller hotel and the staff more attentive to individual needs whereas the Marriott could give a rip.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Renaissance Pere Marquette is a great place with great service and excellent restaurant. Going for Jazz Fest in April. Again. Our 5 stay after staying at other properties except the RC.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I would say... go with the RC, it's a wonderful hotel. Since you can't use the certificate there, the Pre Marquette would be a good second, I also hear that the JW was renovated recently.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Nov 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Marriott Platinum, Southwest RR
Just got back from NO last week, did one night at the CY near Bourbon. Hotel is the modern courtyard with the interactive touch screen when you walk in, small cafe with the normal CY offerings, same menu as other ones I have been in. The hotel IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION THOUGH! This was a unpleasant surprise for us since we have been remodeling for too long and she just wanted to get away from the noise, but at 8am there was construction noise. Still nothing bad about the hotel, we were put in a makeshift room RIGHT next to checkout, but it was 1 night only and we were there for 10 hrs total.

We went to the Ritz the next 2 nights and loved it! Rooms are great, beds incredible and hotel overall is elegant. The Spa is wonderful! Was not complimentary for platinum though. Hotel was busy, but the courtyard is relaxing and the rooms are quiet. Complimentary shoe shine after walking around in New Orleans is essential too IMO! We did not eat at the hotel, but you are in New Orleans so go get some beignets, po boys, muffulettas and all the other amazing food!

Stayed at the JW in June. Nice hotel, nothing too special, Shula's amazing, waking up too A+ steak room service after partying all night is pretty much unbeatable. The beds were comfortable with better amenities and sheets then the CY, but honestly not much difference in hotel location wise and special offerings, did have outside pool with 1.5 hrs of sunlight a day.

All hotels are the same area between these 3, never noticed a difference in walking around. The Ritz is the best but after that, from what I have seen and heard, go with the best deal downtown on the weekend!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bokeyes23
Just got back from NO last week, did one night at the CY near Bourbon. Hotel is the modern courtyard with the interactive touch screen when you walk in, small cafe with the normal CY offerings, same menu as other ones I have been in. The hotel IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION THOUGH! This was a unpleasant surprise for us since we have been remodeling for too long and she just wanted to get away from the noise, but at 8am there was construction noise. Still nothing bad about the hotel, we were put in a makeshift room RIGHT next to checkout, but it was 1 night only and we were there for 10 hrs total.

We went to the Ritz the next 2 nights and loved it! Rooms are great, beds incredible and hotel overall is elegant. The Spa is wonderful! Was not complimentary for platinum though. Hotel was busy, but the courtyard is relaxing and the rooms are quiet. Complimentary shoe shine after walking around in New Orleans is essential too IMO! We did not eat at the hotel, but you are in New Orleans so go get some beignets, po boys, muffulettas and all the other amazing food!

Stayed at the JW in June. Nice hotel, nothing too special, Shula's amazing, waking up too A+ steak room service after partying all night is pretty much unbeatable. The beds were comfortable with better amenities and sheets then the CY, but honestly not much difference in hotel location wise and special offerings, did have outside pool with 1.5 hrs of sunlight a day.

All hotels are the same area between these 3, never noticed a difference in walking around. The Ritz is the best but after that, from what I have seen and heard, go with the best deal downtown on the weekend!
Thanks. This is great advice. I just emailed the hotel and was told that the CY would still be under construction.

The RC is out of the question due to price. the JW is certainly within reason but the certs mean free at the CY.

Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The last time I stayed at that CY (also using a cert), I got a room where the window opened towards an internal corridor, which basically meant zero privacy if you opened the curtains. If you do choose that hotel, make sure you ask for an external view room.

That SHS is pretty nice, and if you don't want to walk the extra half mile, cabs in NOLA are cheap and plentiful. For a multi-night cat 4 stay with the spouse, that's probably what I'd choose.

At the cat 5 level, my picks would be the Ren Arts followed by the JW.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swag
The last time I stayed at that CY (also using a cert), I got a room where the window opened towards an internal corridor, which basically meant zero privacy if you opened the curtains. If you do choose that hotel, make sure you ask for an external view room.

That SHS is pretty nice, and if you don't want to walk the extra half mile, cabs in NOLA are cheap and plentiful. For a multi-night cat 4 stay with the spouse, that's probably what I'd choose.

At the cat 5 level, my picks would be the Ren Arts followed by the JW.
I just booked the SHS using the certs. I would love the Ren Arts or the JW but I think I'm going to save my longer lived Cat 5 cert for something else in the spring.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I will be attending a conference in June 2012 at the Westin NO Canal Place and want to book at a Marriott relatively nearby. JW and Renaissance NO Arts are roughly equi-distant from the conference site. Also considering the RC New Orleans. Is the RC worth the additional cost? How likely are upgrades as MR Plat at these three properties? Any other considerations?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I stayed at the JW a couple months ago and would recommend it. While it's not as posh as some other JWs, it was very, very nice. As a PM, I was given an UG to a corner room, with a pretty spacious, separate dressing area, lots of windows and ample space. The CL isn't extreme greatness, like, of instance the Detroit FS Ren Center or CVG FS, but it met the standard of a good CL.

The Ren PM is one of my favorite hotels. The rooms are funkier, with a cooler vibe. If the rate is better at the Ren, I'm there. But if the rates are equal, the JW has won my business.

The CY is a good CY, but I'd only stay there if it was a huge rate difference.

The Arts hotel is cool, but I had trouble sleeping in the room. While the design is pretty, the hotel's starkness meant I could hear people walking down the hallway at night, which woke me up a few times. Maybe I'm a little too Princess-and-the-Pea on this, but given there are other good choices in NO, why stay where the noise is bothersome? (Which is also why I won't stay in the FQ anymore, only near the FQ.)

Finally, the FS on Canal... I've had really bad rooms there, and I've had really good rooms there. If you stay there, you want to have a room in the tower closer to the river, in a room towards the end of the hall, on a high floor, with a view of the river. These rooms are larger and nicer. Unfortunately, this puts you quite a distance from the CL, IIRC. If my function is in the FS, staying there makes sense. For any other trip to NO, again, with better options available, don't stay here unless there is a big price savings to be had.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
Cheapest way from MSY to JW Marriott

looking for cheapest way from airport to JW Marriott, having trouble searching this forum and bus website thanks alot
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Hertz4me
looking for cheapest way from airport to JW Marriott, having trouble searching this forum and bus website thanks alot
How many in your group? If it's three or more, then take a taxi. It's a fixed rate and at two or three it's a break even over the shuttle and you get a direct trip to your hotel. If it's just you, then either make friends with someone headed to the CBD and share a cab or take the airport shuttle. The drawback here is you have to wait until they fill the van and may get a scenic tour of the quarter & central business district.

Also, a plus for the shuttle is there is a discount if you buy a round trip when leaving the airport.

Enjoy your visit.
Yahoo! search: airport taxi at msy
http://www.ifly.com/louis-armstrong-...rt/taxis-limos

Fares Information: A cab ride costs $33.00 from the airport to the Central Business District (CBD) for one or two persons and $14.00 (per passenger) for three or more passengers.
Yahoo! search: airport shuttle at msy
http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/

Adults (6 or older): $38.00 Round Trip per person; $20.00 One-Way per person
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Originally Posted by Hertz4me
Go to the Airport web site and look for public transportation.
There is a bus that will take you to the Hospital that is near Canal street,
you need to transfer ones and walk about 10 min. to the JW Marriott.
Cost around $2.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
thanks guys 3 of us took the $2 bus :0)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

Yeah, from the pictures, it seemed to me that the CY in the Convention center was nicer, esp that courtyard at the CY!

Anyone have any recent info on the RI near the Convention Center?

as a Platinum for the last few yrs, and having done a lot of work/play travel to my hometown of New Orleans-- i've stayed in most of the Marriott properties there, mostly at the non-FS properties.. My favorite is the CY Convention Ctr/Warehouse Dist. because the location is great, as you are a 15 min walk or a 5 min cab ride from the Quarter or the Superdome, but far enough away so that the all-night partying crowds won't affect your sleep.. Also it is probably the most unique-looking CY i've ever stayed in, the lobby and dining areas are very 'New Orleansy' and as others have mentioned, it's done up in the Warehouse District style with lots of exposed brick, high ceilings, beams, skylights, etc.. I have stayed on the aforementioned floor 2A before-- the rooms on that floor are really nice, kind of like small Warehouse style apartments, one of the rooms i stayed in was taken up by an enormous hot tub that consumed about 1/4 of the room.. But my favorite room is a suite on the 5th floor, and i call it the 'Super Bowl Suite' because we have good luck whenever i'm in town for a game and stay there.. Also, i have to say that the staff there are very friendly and helpful.

the RI and SHS are very close to the CY ( within a 2or 3 min. walk in either direction) so the location qualities are similar-- SHS is more modern and, i believe, larger.. RI is not quite as nice as the CY and SHS, but the RI is the only Marriott property in the City that accepts pets, so i wind up staying there sometimes.. also, though the RI is very near the other two properties-- the walk to get there seems a little more dicey and the couple blocks surrounding it slightly darker than the location of the CYand the SHS-- anyone familiar with NOLA can tell you that these things are different from block-to-block.. Also, parking at the RI isn't as convenient as at the CY and SHS; you have to walk all the way to the back of the hotel and across the street, as opposed to being within the structure as with the other two.

I only recently (last month) tried the CY on St. Charles & Canal (near French Quarter) and it wasn't bad-- the location is, in some ways, better than the other hotels i mentioned, since it's directly across the street from the FQ and and close to everything else-- but it's an entirely different vibe than the other properties-- a lot more hustle-and-bustle, high-rise in the City type-feel than the other hotels, which are a little more out-of-the-way and low key.. Also, our room was pretty small, but this is probably due to the fact that we arrived late on BCS weekend and got whatever was left.

If i had to choose, in order, i'd stay at the CY Conv. Ctr., SHS, CY FQ, RI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.