Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa, Tenerife, Spain CLOSED 1 Jul 2022 [Master Thread]

Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa, Tenerife, Spain CLOSED 1 Jul 2022 [Master Thread]

Old Aug 21, 06, 6:14 am

I spent my summer holiday 2006 in the hotel and loved it ^ ^ ^
Old Sep 19, 06, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Titanium
Sheraton La Caleta, Canary Islands Upgrade Question

I am an SPG gold and emailed the hotel regarding a possible upgrade for our room for an upcoming stay at the Sheraton La Caleta in the Canary Islands. I am not really sure what kind of room we have as I booked it through cash and points.

I emailed the hotel about a possible room upgrade in advance (we will be there in about 3 weeks) and I got an email back stating the costs per night to upgrade to the same room on the club level and ocean view. Is that the correct procedure? In the past I have usually been upgraded to club level or an ocean view before my arrival. Should I expect this same hassle when I arrive to get an upgrade? The main reason I wanted to try and confirm an upgrade now is that we are arriving very late in the evening and am afraid an upgrade will not be available. Is the fact that we are on cash and points affecting any complimentary upgrade?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or clarifications.
Old Sep 22, 06, 5:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, KLM Gold, ex-BMI Gold, ex-AC Elite (...sad isn't it)
Originally Posted by GoCanes
I am an SPG gold and emailed the hotel regarding a possible upgrade for our room for an upcoming stay at the Sheraton La Caleta in the Canary Islands. I am not really sure what kind of room we have as I booked it through cash and points.

I emailed the hotel about a possible room upgrade in advance (we will be there in about 3 weeks) and I got an email back stating the costs per night to upgrade to the same room on the club level and ocean view. Is that the correct procedure? In the past I have usually been upgraded to club level or an ocean view before my arrival. Should I expect this same hassle when I arrive to get an upgrade? The main reason I wanted to try and confirm an upgrade now is that we are arriving very late in the evening and am afraid an upgrade will not be available. Is the fact that we are on cash and points affecting any complimentary upgrade?

They are just trying to push you to pay for the free upgrade (if it's available) that you would get on checking in. Essentially you'd be paying a premium to guarantee an upgraded room in advance.

I was there a month or two ago and they gave me a suite on checking in. I asked for a very specific one and was able to see that is was available on their computer monitor.

They had me already booked in an upgraded club room (which looked nice from the ones I saw) as a result of my platinum status. So you shouldn't have any problems getting an upgraded room when you check-in unless they're booked solid.

So I'm sure, you should be fine with your late check-in (you may want to call on the day and speak to the manager).

Overall the staff were very nice and helpful to their 'elite' guests (two different lounges, one for breakfast and one for the snacks/drinks). Enjoy your vacation.
Old Sep 22, 06, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by CdnUKPlat
They are just trying to push you to pay for the free upgrade (if it's available) that you would get on checking in. Essentially you'd be paying a premium to guarantee an upgraded room in advance.

I was there a month or two ago and they gave me a suite on checking in. I asked for a very specific one and was able to see that is was available on their computer monitor.

They had me already booked in an upgraded club room (which looked nice from the ones I saw) as a result of my platinum status. So you shouldn't have any problems getting an upgraded room when you check-in unless they're booked solid.

So I'm sure, you should be fine with your late check-in (you may want to call on the day and speak to the manager).

Overall the staff were very nice and helpful to their 'elite' guests (two different lounges, one for breakfast and one for the snacks/drinks). Enjoy your vacation.
Thank you. I'll try my luck and see what happens. Right now, they say I have a 4th floor room (not club room). So, even upgrading to a club room on check-in would be nice or just having a room with a view. I am not expecting a suite or anything like that. So, we shall see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 22, 06, 9:45 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by GoCanes

My take on this is that they are telling you in advance that club level and/or ocean view rooms at this hotel are higher category room types than Gold members receive as a Preferred Room, subject to availability at check-in. Also, if you've already booked what this hotel considers to be a Preferred Room, they don't have to upgrade you any further, so they may be saying that in order to go up in room type you'll have to pay for it.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Oct 16, 06, 4:13 pm

Weather

Does anyone have an idea on the weather in Tenerife in Mid October? I need to go get warm for the weekend and Tenerife is on my list of places to go. Is it pool / beach weather? Or just pleasant? Thanks
Old Oct 16, 06, 4:26 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by talltravel
Does anyone have an idea on the weather in Tenerife in Mid October? I need to go get warm for the weekend and Tenerife is on my list of places to go. Is it pool / beach weather? Or just pleasant? Thanks
I'm from SC. I think pleasant. You're from Boston. You think...?
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/60015.html
Old Jan 20, 07, 4:45 am

Sheraton the Canary Islands...anyone recommend?

Hi, planning on visiting somewhere in the Canaries with Mrs. DorianGray in the next few months. Probably the Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa in Costa Adeje, Tenerife. It looks quite nice, Cat 3. Only $45 per night with Cash and Points (though I guess it will be upped a level soon?)

We are interested in relaxing, laying at the beach...not really in golf. Also we could stay at the Sheraton Mencey Hotel, but that is in the city, not a beach place at all.

What do you all think about the place? Would probably be upgraded to a really nice room since have Plat status.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by DorianGray; Jan 20, 07 at 5:18 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 8, 07, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
GoCanes how did you get on in the end?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
My take on this is that they are telling you in advance that club level and/or ocean view rooms at this hotel are higher category room types than Gold members receive as a Preferred Room, subject to availability at check-in
This is my experience. I think it's a great property with excellent staff, but Golds are unlikely to get anything other than a preferred room.

Elite guests at this property should also be aware that 4pm checkout is not available, or so I was told, because it is a resort hotel.

Incidentally, every single guest at this property gets an automatic complimentary buffet breakfast - except those on points stays. I have a points stay ahead and the hotel has taken the trouble of emailing me directly to tell me I won't get the buffet breakfast. This seems a trifle churlish.
Old Nov 16, 07, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
GoCanes how did you get on in the end?

This is my experience. I think it's a great property with excellent staff, but Golds are unlikely to get anything other than a preferred room.

Elite guests at this property should also be aware that 4pm checkout is not available, or so I was told, because it is a resort hotel.

Incidentally, every single guest at this property gets an automatic complimentary buffet breakfast - except those on points stays. I have a points stay ahead and the hotel has taken the trouble of emailing me directly to tell me I won't get the buffet breakfast. This seems a trifle churlish.
When we arrived we were upgraded to an ocean view club level room on the top floor. We were on cash and points. The staff was very nice and friendly. We were treated very well at every moment. I don't think we got an upgrade before arriving but were given one upon check-in I think. I just don't remember.

There was a separate area for the club room buffet near the pool area and it was strictly enforced. There were no free buffets for regular guests while we were there. So, the information you received is right, but it is not just for non-rev guests, no one gets the free buffet but for club level guests as of 06.
Old Oct 4, 08, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, KLM Flying Blue, LH Miles&More
Thumbs down Sheraton Caleta: TOUR OPERATORS YOU BELONG!!

Tried in
AUG/ SEPT to make reservations for 24-29 december in the Sheraton Caleta, Tenerife.
Via the SPG site and SPG reservations the hotel appeared not to have any rooms. Strange, since I wanted to make the booking in aug/sept.
When I emailed the hotel, it appeared rooms were available......
Only I had to pay a high rate and a mandatory Christmasdinner, even when I appeared to arrive late...

According to the hotel, the hotel has agreements with Touroperators, and the hotel could not make an exception for me, even when I paid the high rate and made reservation as a SPG and not via the economic touroperators.
I had some email contacts with the hotel, but without any result. They insisted I had to pay the high rates and for the Christmasdinner.

Looking into the touroperators offers like Intra de Jong, I noticed very economic packages in this hotel, and inclusive of the mandatory Christmas dinner!!
Only, I do not like touroperator packages, and packagetourist. It is just not my way of traveling.

When I wrote to the SPG customerservices they did take my email seriously. They even called the hotel. But without any result. It appeared the hotel sold many rooms to the Touroperators, and the hotel is allowed to do this.

So no holiday for me on Tenerife.. I was lucky I could book a suite in the Sheraton Fuerteventura for normal rates without a mandatory dinner for €100! Without the feeling I was cheated by the hotel.

Sheraton Caleta: TOUROPERATORS YOU BELONG!
Old Dec 3, 08, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sheraton La Caleta Resort & Spa

Anyone stay here recently? How is the hotel holding up?

Anyone familary with weather in the Canary Islands in March? It looks chilly from the averages... is it truely not beach/pool weather at that time of year?

T.
Old Jan 5, 09, 6:02 am

Christmas card: ludicrous nonsense

I do like this property but the lack of Platinum benefits (no late checkout, no complimentary breafkast when on points and 0 out of 3 upgrades for me) has forced me to overlook Tenerife for my last couple of winter sun breaks. The hotel also seems to favour those staying for fixed periods with tour operators rather than SPG customers. March is fine in Tenerife, we've always had good sunlounger weather in that month at that hotel although it isn't obviously guaranteed.

Incidentally this moring (5 January) I received what appears to be a Christmas card from this property. I think I got one last year but don't recall. The cover features silhouettes dancing on a beach and the photocopied message stapled to the inside reads: "Isn't it a wonderful thing that we're all different? Each of us has strengths and skills to share. And when we link our individual strengths together we're invincible. Happy holidays from your Sheraton La Caleta Team." I can't work out what I dislike most about this: the incompetent timing (it was posted on Christmas Eve), the waste of money that could be better spent giving guests the benefits to which they are entitled, its sheer hopelessness as a marketing tool or its meaningless waffle about diversity.

Typical, IMHO, of the ethereal and slightly evasive way in which it deals with SPG customers. A nice hotel though.
Old Mar 18, 09, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
Excellent from any point of view

I'm just back from a wonderful 4-days stay at Sheraton La Caleta. I've been impressed by this hotel. All the staff is smiling and making you feel comfortable, everybody helped us having a great time. Fran, at the reception desk, is one of the best (if not the best) example I've ever found of how the perfect person at the reception desk should be.
We were staying 2 night for free (free nights from recent promotions) and two nights on cash and points. We received a very nice upgrade to a beautiful deluxe suite in the 2nd floor with a large terrace and a great view of the ocean. 4 complimentary bottles of water each day, and complimentary buffet breakfast at the magnificent spot they have for club breakfast (by the pool). The club lounge (connected to a very nice terrace) is a very good option in the afternoon/evening for a drink and a snack. The two restaurants we tried were quite good (specially the japanese one). The spa was small but very comfortable, and the treatments and terapists were top class.
Sincerely, one of my very best stays in a resort in years.
Old Mar 19, 09, 12:36 am

Deluxe suite? Club breakfast by the pool? On a free night? Four bottles of water? Every day?

Please share your secret with us! I haven't had the remotest sniff of any of these things during stays at this property

Search this Thread