FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton DFW Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/581312-sheraton-dfw-airport-dallas-fort-worth-master-thread.html)

IsleTraveller Jan 17, 09 10:04 am

Does anyone have a recent stay experience here? My wife, son (7 yo) and I are considering staying here for two nights in April.

As a Plat, what is the chance of an upgrade?

Thank you in advance

SleepDoc Jan 17, 09 10:13 am

Originally Posted by IsleTraveller (Post 11093247)
Does anyone have a recent stay experience here? My wife, son (7 yo) and I are considering staying here for two nights in April.

As a Plat, what is the chance of an upgrade?

Thank you in advance

I've stayed here twice as a Platinum in the past year and have only been upgraded to a Club Level room. The lounge is decent in that it serves free beer, wine, and hor doerves in the evening but nothing really special as far as the quality of the food. They also have breakfast in the mornings but I didn't partake so can't really comment on that. In addition the rooms have free bottled water plus you can take water from the lounge as well which is a nice touch. Club level rooms are of average quality and the fitness room is small and with old equipment. I honestly feel if you're going to be staying at an airport property that the Westin DFW is the better choice of the two. I've been upgraded to a suite there, rooms are comfortable, fitness room is large and has newer equipment and generally the hotel has a more upscale atmosphere. No lounge here though from what I recall. Hope this helps!

IsleTraveller Jan 18, 09 6:41 am

Thank you, SleepDoc.

Your observations are consistent with those of others. We do not plan on spending too much time in the room so the average quality room with lounge access at the Sheraton may win over the better quality room at the Westin.

SleepDoc Jan 18, 09 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by IsleTraveller (Post 11096843)
Thank you, SleepDoc.

Your observations are consistent with those of others. We do not plan on spending too much time in the room so the average quality room with lounge access at the Sheraton may win over the better quality room at the Westin.

No problem! There are some other great hotels in the near vicinity. Sounds like you'll have a vehicle which is a must in the DFW area. Let me know if you need any recommendations of things to do, see, or restaurants in the area.

drron Apr 18, 09 10:31 pm

Stayed at the westin DFW a few days ago after flying SYD-LAX-DFW.Was upgraded to a suite there and a much nicer room there than here at the Sheraton where i am staying before flying out tomorrow.
However here at the sheraton I have been upgraded to the club floor.The lounge has been open on this saturday night.Staff still fantastic and it is good to be able to get free beer and wine.Attendant was allowing these to be taken to room.Food plentiful and standard fare for US lounges.We also got free internet and to me these 2 benefits plus getting breakfast in the morning outweigh the upgrade.All this and only $69 a night.
From the floor diagram on the door there is only 1 suite on the floor.

IsleTraveller Apr 21, 09 12:24 am

We stayed here over the weekend earlier this month.

The facts:
- a short 15 mins from DFW (on the N side of the airport)
- depending on functions in the hotel, self-parking could be a problem on-site but there is plenty free street parking available
- P status recognised on check-in, upgraded to Club floor and given passcode for free in-room internet access
- free internet access available (perhaps tagged to free in-room internet) in [email protected]
- need to swipe card for access to floor
- TV and sitting area immediately off the elevators
- "standard" club room : nothing special (looks recently renovated) but had a west view so could see DFW runways; no aircraft noise
- lounge is wide open (no doors) with water and pop available at night
- breakfast (even on weekends) is continental plus scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon
- afternoon hors d'oeuvres (even on weekends) consists of a hot appys (wings, taquitos, etc) plus cheese and crackers; alcoholic beverages, pop and water available at no charge; super sized cookies are available from 730pm
- newspapers available in the lounge
- did not use any other hotel services or facilities
- hotel was relatively full on one day and had cool water for our showers in the morning; the next day, it was empty and the water was fine in the showers; at check-out, was advised that this is "normal"
- personal observation : have stayed at comparable Sheratons where less than 7000 pts would have been required for a free night; at the right price, one coould get good value at this hotel

Leumas Jun 12, 09 3:04 pm

Had a layover and stayed here for one night. The free shuttle from the airport took forever to arrive (maybe it was about 9pm).

I was upgraded to a Club Level room even as a Gold. I suspect I got a room where the original guest cancelled in the last minute - I found a letter addressed (unopened) to someone else and a plate of cheese and crackers plus a few bottles of water, which was greatly appreciated as it wasn't until almost 11pm until I settled in and I had an early flight the next morning. I actually feel a bit guilty as I was a bit rude to the check-in person (it was late and I wass tired)...

Breakfast at the lounge was as described. The lounge is small though, I'd breakfast at the sofa.

There was also some construction work at the check-in/lobby area.

Watch out for the shuttle back to the airport as it only leaves every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.

freeupgrade Jun 12, 09 6:40 pm

Last time I was at Sheraton DFW, the TV had to have been at least 15 years old. To be fair, that was in '07.

Does anyone know if they have put in flat screens or plasmas yet?

Thanks.

Leumas Jun 13, 09 9:52 am

Not 100% on this, but I think my room had a flat screen of some sort...

SleepDoc Jun 13, 09 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Leumas (Post 11901852)
Not 100% on this, but I think my room had a flat screen of some sort...

Ditto... I believe they're all flat screens at least in my stays there.

mwg25 Jan 10, 10 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Leumas (Post 11898709)
Watch out for the shuttle back to the airport as it only leaves every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.

Or on the half hour if it's early enough in the morning. I would make sure you ask for clarification of shuttle times before you go to sleep.

I stayed here last weekend before catching a 6:30 am flight and for those purposes, it was totally fine for the price. Very typical Sheraton, nice staff, seemed quite empty.

caffeine addict Dec 6, 10 8:18 pm

Good stay!

I thought this hotel was a bargain.

Had a one night Saturday night stay. Booked cheapest room advance purchase for about ~$85 all-in.

+Free Shuttle
+Club Lounge
+Lounge open on WEEKENDS!
+Happy hour
+Breakfast incl. Eggs/Bacon/Hash browns/sausages
+Fantastic lounge attendant
+Plat recognition

As the lounge was closing for drinks, she topped off my wine glass and encouraged me to grab some more food to take back to my room (which was on the same floor and maybe 10 seconds away).

I thought it was excellent for a domestic Sheraton airport club lounge.

I also grabbed breakfast first thing sunday morning and took a couple plates back to my room to consume. There was a big convention there and the lounge is, as others have stated, quite small.

Room service menu was reasonably priced and very tasty. I had some soup and a sandwich for ~$18 including the automatic charges.

omegadeal Apr 16, 14 5:12 pm

I just finished a stay here, and for an airport property this is a really good one.

Nice hotel, friendly staff, clean rooms, and a decent gym. As plat I got an upgrade to the club floor. I never used the club lounge, but when I got off the elevator on the club floor the hostess for the lounge came out to invite me in which I thought was really nice.

Even if the lounge isn't open they will leave coffee out in the morning, a refrigerator with sodas and water during the day (I did grab one of these), and I noticed that there were freshly baked cookies left out when I returned to my room last night.

RDB68 Jul 21, 14 2:59 pm

Average Stay

Let me begin by saying that I have come to realize that reviews by folks that stay at SPG properties are and should be different from those that stay at other brands. More is expected from SPG hotels than from most other loyalty brands. So with that in mind, your stay here will probably be better than your stay at most other hotels in the area.

The property is definitely convenient to the DFW. I didn't use the shuttle service, but they had two or three vans at the property every time I left or returned to the building.

The wifi was very strong on Sheraton DFW link. It is probably the best I've ever encountered, no kidding.

The gym had a wide variety of equipment. I stuck with the treadmills which were sturdy. My only complaint about them would be the TV didn't work and the touch screen was barely operable. I used the incline and speed buttons on the handrail once I realized that was the case.

I did not dine on site, but there were a couple of seemingly high quality options next to the lobby. Had I needed to I would not have had any reservations with eating in the hotel restaurants.

The room was fine. The bed was very comfortable. The TV was a flatscreen though the number of channels was limited (about twenty). The chairs sat well and the desk was good. The desk area could have used a couple more outlets as I only found one socket available for use at the desk. The closet was oddly placed in that it was near the door (normal), but had a door stopper to keep the room door from hitting the closet doors. Fair enough, but the closet doors didn't slide; they opened out. Thus one of the doors wouldn't open due to the room door stopper. So only half of the closet was useable. The bathroom was not bad. The vanity and mirror area were big and well lit. The shower was my only complaint (and probably a common complaint for me). Relatively low pressure and I've never had a shower take so long to find the hot water. I had to let it run maybe five minutes to get a comfortable temperature. I opted for the Green Choice program so I can't comment on the cleaning service. I like the 500 points per night it's available.

As for SPG recognition it was acknowledged that I was Gold and I selected the free internet as my ammenity. But I'm sure the room was one that anyone could be assigned to. It was on the seventh floor (out of twelve) and there was no indication that was even an SPG Preferred room. Usually I can get in a room with an extra bottle of water or a refrigerator or something.

I would recommend this hotel because it was not a bad stay. But I would likely look at other options before rebooking here.

uxb Jul 23, 14 5:33 am

I wouldn't recommend this property at all. I had checked in a few nights ago. Asked for a wake-up call at 4:00 am, and then went to return my rental car. I did so and got the shuttle to Terminal D. I called the property to let them know where I was. They said they'd be there in 15-20 mins. After an hour of waiting, I took a $30,- cab ride back. When I got into my room, I pulled back the covers to reveal the sheets were dirty. Had some dried blood stains on it. Had housekeeping change the sheets. At 4:15 am, I got up to the sound of my mobile. Apparently, the hotel never put in the wake-up call, so I had 15 mins to gather my stuff and leave. Smh.