Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How does the bamboo forest in the lobby look? Are the trees big and healthy? I haven't been through DTW in a while, but it's always fun to watch the workers pruning the stuff growing inside the hotel.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I didn't take any pictures of what the property calls the "Club Executive Lounge," but I found the size and space to be a fairly typical club lounge.

The quality of the lounge breakfast itself was slightly better than the the average concierge lounge at legacy Marriott's Marriott properties in North America. For example, they had three kinds of berries and what looked like homemade granola. The Starbucks coffee machine was also better than food service industrial coffee you typically get. I'd put it more on par with what I've seen at the Marriott properties with M Club lounges. I can't comment on the nightly offerings, but it's probably safe to assume that alcohol is not complimentary. Judging from the setup after breakfast there are two hot selections each night.

Only unique thing is a shoeshine machine at the entrance. Keycard accessible 24/7. Located on the 8th floor.

They apologized and gave me 2,000 extra points.
Thanks for the additional synopsis on the lounge. The old BWI Airport 10th floor lounge had a shoeshine machine - but not now in the M-Club-ish 1st floor lounge.

Hope they fix their outlets.

David
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How does the bamboo forest in the lobby look? Are the trees big and healthy? I haven't been through DTW in a while, but it's always fun to watch the workers pruning the stuff growing inside the hotel.
It looks nice. The lobby is very modern, but well done. My only complaint is the bar and restaurant are sort of after-thoughts as they're stuck in the corner when at least the bar should be prominent in the center of the lobby.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
How is the internet now? I stayed at this hotel maybe 4 years ago and the internet was terrible. Slow as hell. Signal wasn't good either for wifi. I'd have to assume that now it is much faster. I'd hope at least. Also how is the AC unit? Is it motion sensored?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It looks nice. The lobby is very modern, but well done. My only complaint is the bar and restaurant are sort of after-thoughts as they're stuck in the corner when at least the bar should be prominent in the center of the lobby.
Aren't there still tables next to the water (in the casual dining area that I think would be considered part of the bar) that seem to be on a peninsula? I've enjoyed sitting in that area for a drink or a light meal.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mikebor
How is the internet now? I stayed at this hotel maybe 4 years ago and the internet was terrible. Slow as hell. Signal wasn't good either for wifi. I'd have to assume that now it is much faster. I'd hope at least. Also how is the AC unit? Is it motion sensored?
Internet was fine on the enhanced option. I didn't measure the speed, but had no issues with either watching video or streaming on Spotify.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't there still tables next to the water (in the casual dining area that I think would be considered part of the bar) that seem to be on a peninsula? I've enjoyed sitting in that area for a drink or a light meal.
Sort of. The bar is hidden in the corner. The restaurant extends from the wall and has some seats next to the reflecting pond. I can't describe the shape, but the lobby bar should be in the center of the lobby atrium.

For what it's worth, AVOID an atrium-facing room as the windows are not blacked out and you can see through the windows. I saw plenty of naked people walking between my room and the elevator. Even the curtains aren't 100% opaque.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

I had another 1-night stay here.

Delta was going to put me up, but I told the red coat supervisor I'd just book the room as I'd rather get the points than forgo them. The red coat supervisor was super kind and then gave me a $150 Delta voucher, which was $20 more than the cost of the hotel room, and a couple meal vouchers -- enough for a fancy room service breakfast. Needless to say, I was happy.

I immediately checked in and sent the hotel a message using the Marriott mobile application, asking if there were upgrades and that I would be there in 10 minutes. They responded within 2 minutes, saying no suites were available even though Marriott.com listed every room category as being available.

When I got to the front desk, I asked again about an upgrade. The agent said there were none available and that they get 50 platinums a night and only had 10 suites. I politely said, I'm ambassador and not platinum. He apologized, hit some buttons on the keyboard and said he can't find an open suite but could give me a room with a treadmill. As I'm a fitness enthusiast, I jumped at the room as I've always wanted to try a Westin treadmill room but have never had the opportunity. Delta had my bag so I had no gear. I asked if the property had the Westin workout gear, which he said they did. He asked my size and about 20 minutes later socks, men's running shoes, shorts and a shirt were delivered. Everything was brand new and still had tags attached so I'm guessing this isn't used much. Oh yeah, I was offered points or breakfast. I chose the points as I was too tired to play the game about not offering a local amenity.

My room had polyester fill pillows so I had to call down and ask for new pillows. The at-your-service agent was very friendly and addressed me by name. 30 minutes later, a maid arrived and let's just say she didn't seem happy about it. "What's wrong with your pillows?" she asked. "They're not feather pillows," I said. She gave me four new pillows and left.

Besides the pillows, the room was clean and comfortable. Good TV with a good selection of channels. Wireless internet included an enhanced high-speed option, which not all properties have anymore. No slippers with the bathrobe -- and only one bathrobe, which could be an issue if there were two guests. The complimentary two bottles of Voss water was a nice extra. I believe this is only stocked in the rooms with the treadmill. I also had one complimentary full-size bottle of purified water.

I didn't use the lounge for breakfast as I used my Delta meal vouchers to order a room service breakfast, which was a nice treat. And with a treadmill in the room I never left until it was time to board my flight. I ended up using the treadmill four times, doing a total of 5 miles at 15 incline and 4 mph.

My only complaints about this property:

1) Not recognizing the difference between platinum and ambassador nearly 6 months into the new, combined loyalty program and only a couple days away before the re-naming of the elite status levels. Hopefully, this changes beginning tomorrow.

2) Feather pillows used to be standard, at least in my experience, at Westin under legacy Starwood and even at legacy Marriott's Marriott brand, but now the default option seems to be polyester, faux down pillows.

And who are the idiots that design hotel rooms? Seriously. Hotel room lighting sucks. I counted at least five separate light switches. The lighting wasn't as yellow as some hotels, but it still sucked. Why don't hotels get designed with nice overhead lighting?

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 12, 2019 at 2:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:18 am
Suspended

An update based on another stay: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30788266-post1987.html

Note the following:

Last week, pre-launch of Bonvoy the front desk clerk recognized me as a platinum. The same clerk was working this time around and recognized me as an ambassador. So that's interesting.

Even more interesting was the pre-arrival email I received 24 hours before my stay from the hotel's "lobby ambassador" asking for my special preferences and the purpose of my stay. That's never happened before at this property.

When I arrived I was upgraded to the treadmill room, which I requested over a suite in an email responding to the "lobby ambassador." I thought the lobby ambassador might be on-duty but if she was she never greeted me personally. Waiting in my room were two cans of Diet Pepsi (one of my three drink preferences; the others being champagne and chablis) and a personalized note in an envelope. This was also my firststay since September in which all of my standing room preferences (feather pillows; extra feather pillows, so six not four; and extra towels) were requested. It was also only my second stay since September in which I was greeted in the room with a personalized thank you note or letter. The only other hotel to do this was the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection in Paris.

I don't know if this was because of my ambassador status or because I'm a repeat guest, but the recognition here was appreciated and is noticeably better than just a week ago.
One other thing.

I finally caught the weekend spread in the "club executive lounge" on the 8th floor. Four wines: pinot grigio, chardonnay, merlot and cabernet sauvignon. Each was $12 per glass, but the lounge attendant told me the wine brand (Trinity Oaks) was cheap and not worth buying. None of the wines were displayed. I didn't see any spirits. She said "better stuff is in the bar."

The food consisted of a fried chicken; 7-bean soup; various cheeses including brie; a spinach, tomato and blue cheese salad; and celery and carrots. For dessert there were cookies and two types of brownies.

The lounge was jam-packed at 5:30 p.m. on a Saturday, when the food appeared. Maybe 20 people in a lounge with enough seats for 30. I can't imagine what it's like Monday through Friday.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 17, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:21 am
Suspended

I stayed here Friday. Despite previous pre-arrival emails nothing this time around. I did, however, receive a fruit plate and four cans of Diet Pepsi in my room. No personalized note this time, however.

Unlike many Westin properties, this Westin has a 24/7/365 lounge that serves breakfast. At check-in, I was only offered points or a "local amenity." However, I'm entitled to choose between points, an amenity and breakfast. I chose breakfast. The front desk didn't know what to do because with the lounge nobody does this, they said. After a few minutes a manager emerged and they gave me their business card with "breakfast" written on it and their initials. I asked what it covered and was told anything. So, I had poached eggs with rocket and three glasses of Chandon California sparkling wine. There was no champagne-by-the-glass. It was 100% fully covered, including tip and tax.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended

I stayed here again. I've become a regular over the past few months as the rates have really dropped to the point where they are competitive with the off-airport hotels. I've regularly seen the Westin under $130.

There's no question that this is one of the best hotels in the Detroit area, both from a hard product and a soft product perspective. Certainly with respect to Marriott brands as so many of Marriott's properties in metropolitan Detroit are nothing more than glorified limited-service properties (the Marriott Livonia, Marriott Detroit Metro Airport, Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest, Marriott Southfield, Westin Southfield, and Marriott Troy being examples). I noticed there are now bellmen. Previously, I was told they didn't have bellmen because of staff turnover. Hopefully, the bellmen will stick around for a while this time.

I consistently decline a suite as I prefer the treadmill-furnished rooms on the second-floor. I like working out two or three times a day. It's too easy to come up with an excuse when you have to go to the gym.

No in-room amenity this time around. Previously, I received Diet Pepsi and fruit. All of my requests (extra towels, feather pillows, and mouthwash) were fulfilled. Slippers were stocked with the bathrobe, which is a change from before when this property had bathrobes but no slippers.

The SPG channel still doesn't work, despite other Marriott properties now having a channel labeled "Bonvoy." As with the former SPG and Marriott Rewards channels, it's a collection of propaganda films. Some of them look like they cost a lot of money to produce.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 14, 2019 at 3:52 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Westin TSA Checkpoint

Warning for those staying at this property, don’t use the lobby TSA checkpoint, especially if you have PreCheck like 90% of us do. I went down to the lobby around 7am this morning and saw hardly no line so decided that I’d wait until 7:40 to go through security for my 8:25am departing across the checkpoint at A36 and head up to the Westin lounge to eat breakfast. BIG MISTAKE! When I came back down at 7:40, the line was out to the bottom of the ramp and someone else told me the PreCheck line out in the main Terminal was a good ~15 min wait so decided to wait. The line ended up moving very slow with several families with children and people in wheelchairs. About 5-6 people behind me ended up skipping up to the front because their flight was about to leave and I ended up following behind because mine was leaving in 20 mins and there was no way I would have made it without it. There is no Pre Check lite at this checkpoint as I was expecting, so I would recommend skipping this line all together unless there is absolutely no-one in line, and give yourself more time as I clearly didn’t.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Jun 29, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Just completed a two night stay. Lovely hotel, upgraded to a true 1 bedroom suite. Suite was in great shape, very clean. Bathroom was huge. Soaking jacuzzi tub, separate area with a door for the toilet, stand-up shower and dual sinks.

Enjoyed the lobby bar, BUT, agree with poster above who wished it was in center of lobby, or up against the pool. Currently, it is off to the side in the corner of the lobby. It's cramped and not the best atmosphere, given there is a lobby with huge atrium nearby. That said, prices were reasonable for an airport hotel and the staff was excellent.

Only used lounge for water and coffee - so can't report on lounge offerings.

Didn't use checkpoint either, went into terminal as I am Clear + PreCheck and Westin's checkpoint is a normal checkpoint. Can get full with non-seasoned travelers, if you're Clear + Precheck, just make the 6 or 7 minute walk if there's any line in the Westin.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I found some pics that I took while the hotel was under construction, about 2002/2003

Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Here's another blast from the past

James Luckard likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Breakfast Benefit at Westin Detroit Metro Airport?

Both the Exec. Club lounge, and Reflection's restaurant, are temporarily closed. The only breakfast option appears to be in-room dining. As a Titanium Elite, would I be offered this as my breakfast amenity, something else, or nothing at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.