Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone know what the Internet situation is at this property right now? I'm looking for a place to go hide and finish a project and unwind in the next couple weeks but I'm going to need Internet that works (and preferably doesn't cost an arm and a leg).
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bdesmond
Does anyone know what the Internet situation is at this property right now? I'm looking for a place to go hide and finish a project and unwind in the next couple weeks but I'm going to need Internet that works (and preferably doesn't cost an arm and a leg).
Just back from a 5th-night-free point stay. Booked Deluxe, upgraded to Honeymoon Suite. In-room ethernet worked flawlessly, in-room wifi was spotty in my area (room 825) though functioned fine throughout the property. Suite was fine, but easily would have passed for a standard room elsewhere in the world - size was really all it offered.

Don't recall precise cost for internet. Good luck finishing your project.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Update info on Westin Puerto Vallarta

Does anyone have any current knowledge of the Westin PV? I've not been able to find anything current. Thinking of staying there Thankgiving or the neaby Marriott, any comparrisons would be appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 9, 2008 at 4:13 pm Reason: Moved into master thread
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:03 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i was there spring break 06 and 07 so my info is somewhat dated. it is a very nice property and is within easy walking distance to marina vallarta which has a number of restaurants bars and shops. i find it a little more adult than the marriot which is essentially right next door. not sure why i say that but i also have a number of friends who stay at the marriot and love it. to me i would stay wherever you get the better deal. all in all puerto vallarta is out favorite mexican beach town and we hope to return this year. if you are a platinum they will also treat you right with access to the beach club which means breakfast and cocktails.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I was wondering if I stay at the Club Regina Timeshare (I own there) and have a Platinum Starwood level, could I use the lounge at The Westin? Since they are "Collocated" in PV and Cancun, it might be a nice perk.

Cheers
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Westin Puerto Vallarta

Originally Posted by abk
i was there spring break 06 and 07 so my info is somewhat dated. it is a very nice property and is within easy walking distance to marina vallarta which has a number of restaurants bars and shops. i find it a little more adult than the marriot which is essentially right next door. not sure why i say that but i also have a number of friends who stay at the marriot and love it. to me i would stay wherever you get the better deal. all in all puerto vallarta is out favorite mexican beach town and we hope to return this year. if you are a platinum they will also treat you right with access to the beach club which means breakfast and cocktails.
Thanks abk, and thanks San Diego !K for taking care of the proper house keeping without a fuss!

Does anyone have more current info on this property? Seems like a time warp took away the last year and a half.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:10 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by X3Skier
I was wondering if I stay at the Club Regina Timeshare (I own there) and have a Platinum Starwood level, could I use the lounge at The Westin? Since they are "Collocated" in PV and Cancun, it might be a nice perk.

Cheers
Not as a regular elite member benefit, but you could always ask as a gesture of goodwill.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not as a regular elite member benefit, but you could always ask as a gesture of goodwill.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thanks, I will try that.

Cheers
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:04 pm

Did you hear anything further on the property? I'm curious on new info as well... thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
My partner and I will be staying at the Westin Puerto Vallarta during the holidays and were wondering if there were any recent stays or trip reports.

I sent the hotel an email with some questions but have yet to hear back. So here I am with a few questions:

* Does the hotel offer shuttle services to the downtown areas/beaches?
* Airport transfers?
* What can one expect as a SPG Gold?
* Any good nearby eats or shopping?
* Where does one go for Xmas mass? (in English if possible?)

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
I cannot comment on the transfers - but taxis are extremely inexpensive - and the Westin PV is very close to the airport. You will also be practically right across the street from Marina Vallarta - and there are some great restaurants and bars within walking distance around the marina - have eaten there many many times. Also, the taxi fare to the Malecon' and downtown shopping is very cheap. Would definitely recommend Le Bistro restaurant next to the Rio Cuale for lunch or dinner - a superb venue - also La Palapa restaurant which is right on the beach in the downtown area. Have fun.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SleepDoc
I do promise to do a detailed review with pictures of course of the Westin Puerto Vallarta.
Waiting..... T-50 and counting. I'll give you some slack.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Westin Feb 2009

The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Paseo De La Marina Sur 205 Puerto Vallarta, MX 48354

Westin Feb 2009 (0 Photo)

And just like that... another review by me and with time to spare! Okay been actually back for less than a week and a half and had an awesome time in Puerto Vallarta. Mrs. SleepDoc and I can not say any more nice things about the great staff and service we received at the Westin Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa. There were minor issues but without a doubt we were well taken care of...

Booked
Ok now I knowCheap Elitealways says book what you want and don't expect to get a suite upgrade even on special occasions! Well, I took the risk. Booked a great Gov't rate of $189 for 6 nights for a double partial view and tagged on another night using points by calling the Platinum Concierge who arranged everything nicely for me. I may not have a Starwood Ambassador but I've been quite pleased with my Personal Concierge.

Naturally the whole 6 weeks before my booking as well as on the day of my arrival I was sweating bullets and praying to get the honeymoon suite. I figured what the hell... I'm platinum, I'm having my wedding and reception there the least they could is upgrade me to a suite. Nevertheless I sighed some relief when I check into the hotel! So yes,Cheap Elitebook what you want! But if you're thrifty and lucky like me you'll get what you want!

In addition I booked two C&P rooms for my parents and brother then upgraded them both to Royal Beach Club rooms for an additional $70 per night well worth it in my opinion.

Depart
So off to my report. Stayed overnight at the Aloft ORD with a great park and fly rate plus they took dogs so our little Doxie was able to stay and come with us to Mexico. 4 painful hours in the airport and an airplane ride later with a very pissed but thankfully quiet dog we arrived in Mexico for our little destination wedding. Thankfully there wasn't a long wait outside in the hot tarmac before entering the airport. If you filled out your customs and visitors card prior to landing one breezed thru to the checked baggage belt. Porters are available to help you with your luggage and work just on tips. Well worth it IMO! Customs no problem, official looked over our dog's paperwork and pondering whether to stamp Bella's doggie passport card. Just kidding! Taxi from airport to Westin was 150 pesos. I think there must be some surcharge to leave the airport with passengers as on the way out they must pass a booth and hand over some money. If you're cheap and without much luggage. Exit the far airport exit just after international arrivals and take the bridge across the street. Same taxi, just outside of the airport is now only 50 pesos to the Westin.

Arrival
Short 5-10 minute bumpy taxi ride to the hotel and was greeted by friendly bellmen. I believe it was Hugo and Oscar that helped us that first day. Holding and bringing our luggage to our suite and greeting us every morning by name when we passed by throughout the day. All of the guys were great, Sergio another bellman was a character and we had many of long talks when I walked the dog first thing in the morning. I periodically tipped all of them on our stay here at the Westin. Consistently got great service and they deserved the tips without a doubt.

Hotel Exterior

We arrived a little prior to 230pm. Was greeted by Adolfo at the Front Desk and Platinum status was instantly recognized and at this point was confirmed to be upgraded to the honeymoon suite with jacuzzi tub. Unfortunately the suite had a late check out and was still being cleaned. No problems though!

Lobby was bright airy and open to the breezes from the front of the resort to the rear. Lots of pink, lush vegetations from the balconies and large statues throughout. My wife and I met with the wedding coordinator and hammered out some last minute details for the wedding and then headed up the elevator to our suite.

Lobby

Suite
I believe there are 8 of these so called honeymoon suites or junior suites as called in certain sites. In addition there are 5 grand two level suites and a presidential suite on this property. Our suite was a long ways from the front entrance. Essentially from one side of the resort to the other side on the 8th floor. It made it a both enjoyable walk/run with the dog first thing in the morning and late at night to wear her out. If you were at the resort and heard a sound of human feet running along with pattering of much smaller legs at 7 in the morning.... it was the other guy with the dog not me.

The suite was a nice large room, tiled and concrete floors, and a large balcony with an ocean front view of the bay and the pools below. Furniture looked to be of an older quality but nevertheless in good shape and still pleasant enough. My parents room and brother's room on the Royal Beach Club floor looked brand new with dark espresso stained furniture. Much more sheik looking and not the old school hacienda like style we had. Sorry no pictures of the RBC rooms... look at the Westin site and they look exactly like that. Also it was February and it was quite humid even at that time. Our AC conked out on us one night and we were miserable. Had that fixed and in addition had the staff send up a dehumidifier. After that the temps in the room were perfect! Highly highly recommend getting the dehumidifier esp in warmer months. Have to empty twice a day at least but well worth it!

King Westin Heavenly Bed

Suite with LR and Ocean View

Our little international traveling dog got a Westin Dog Heavenly Bed along with complete mat and bowls.

Westin Dog Bed

The bathroom was awesome and had skylights in the shower, bath, and over the dual sinks. Nice and enjoyable to take a shower in natural sunlight every morning. Typical new Westin bath products complete with green tealeaf soap bar. Shower pressure was truly heavenly and always warm!

Bathroom

A great view from the balcony. Across the way were the Westin Regina Timeshares. They patrol their grounds pretty well and discourage non Regina Timeshare folks to stay off their side of the property. Not so true the opposite way around but barely noticeable. They have a shuttle from along with a office at the airport that I would assume give you free transportation to and from their resort. The Westin hotel side alas, does not.

Jacuzzi

The balcony is enclosed with glass both protecting you from accidentally stumbling over to the palm trees below but also inadvertently not letting a nice breeze come off the ocean. Great view though of the bay and the cruise ships coming in, the mountains, and the south side of Puerto Vallarta in the far background.

Bella and the Bay

From the balcony you can see the lush resort grounds below. Nothing much south of the resort except the Regina Timeshares and a new high rise timeshare building going up so that part of the beach is impassable at this point. To the north on the rocky sand(not the fine sugary sand you find elsewhere) you can just up to the Mayan Palace Resort grounds... a large section here is also impassable depending on the tide and they won't let you trepassing thru their grounds. Not the most beautiful beach but doable. Few vendors on the beach, para-sailing, jet skis for rent, but no beautiful wide sugary sand beaches. Just not this part of the bay.

Resort Grounds

Resort Grounds continued...
The grounds itself were very pleasing to the eye, many tall palm trees, grounds swept almost at all times both inside and outside the resort so never a mess in sight. I believe there are a total of 3 pools, one more the kiddy pool and the other two extending out to the beach with a swim up bar. There was a "hot tub" in one of the pools but it was quite cool on the one occasion I popped into it. There are also concrete beds in the shallow end of one of the pools allowing you be floating gently in the water and bathing in the sun at the same time. Quite comfortable according to my brother. The wife and I usually spent our times out on the beach. The covered verandas are also for rent... didn't partake so couldn't tell you beyond that. There are also cushioned areas past the covered verandas with pillows galore so you can stack a small party there comfortably. These were first come first serve and as far as I know were without charge. There were also quite a few cushioned beach chairs out on the beach itself. Never had to compete for any seating through out the resort.

The bar closest to these cushioned areas had 2 for 1 specials during the day. 2 drinks in coconuts for only 109 pesos which I thought was a bargain.

Poolside view

View of grounds towards beach
Sorry kind of fuzzy as the pano feature didn't meld so well.

Royal Beach Club Lounge

The Royal Beach Club Lounge was absolutely fantastic! It is on the 12th floor of the resort with an expansive open window view of the bay and resort below. it was awesome to come up in the mornings and have breakfast and coffee with a view. For Platinums this is a complimentary benefit. It is also included if you purchase a suite for regular price. It can also be purchased as an additional upgrade for $70 a day as I previously mentioned. From 7-11am there were an assorted of juices, grapefruit, orange, papaya, apple, champagne, bloody mary's with vodka, coffee, 1 mexican hot dish, eggs, bacon, usually a potatoe dish, fresh bread, fruit, smoked salmon and other appropriate cold cuts on the cooled plate area of the far right buffet table so no food illness stories such as that of the salmon in one of the Argentinia reports! Variety changed everyday and Aracelli the hostess was always wonderful and gracious on our multitude of visits to the lounge! In the evening there were hot and cold hor deurvres and a huge selection of liquor from 5-7 pm. Fresh Pina Colada mix, rum, brandy, vodka, tequila, beer, juices, you name it they had it. A great selection and again as much as you want. In addition bottled water was available at all times. We used the lounge extensively on our weeklong stay at the Westin. From the opened windows we saw whales playing in the bay in the evenings and dolphins jumping up during the day. Aracelli the hostess, worked hard to keep the lounge clean and inviting. She was great! You can also imagine the cost savings of not having to go out twice to eat as well as drink for free for a large portion of the day. We still went out but it was definitely convenient. As others have mentioned their is aOXXOconvenience store across the way where you can get beer, water, and some liquor far cheaper than using the mini bar.

RBC Lounge

Wedding/Spa
I didn't include any wedding pics as these are more personal but the wedding coordinator, Abigail was fantastic. There were some communication difficulties at first especially with the long distance planning of the wedding but once we were there she put us at ease and smoothly handled everything from the setup of the beachfront ceremony, to the photographer, flowers, reception, and wedding cake. She did a fine job of setting everything up and I would highly recommend her to any others that would want to plan a special event there. In our room following the reception there was a bottle of chilled champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, cheese and crackers with a nice note from the GM as well rose petals sprinkled through out the suite.

Abigail also set up my wife's spa app't prior to the wedding and we also partook in using the spa for a couple's massage one night. They had promised us a beach side massage but had to rearrange due to a conflict on the grounds at that time. They made it up to us by allowing us to go to the seafood restaurant at the resort and pick up a bottle of wine on them.

Conclusion
My wife and I had a great time with our wedding and visit to the Westin Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa. As a Platinum member I was treated extraordinarily well and would highly recommend this Westin to anyone. Someone during our stay there that their occupancy was only 40% and the resort never seem too crowded during our time there. Hats off to the front desk noteably Adolfo, the bellman and my morning and evening conversations with Hugo, Sergio, and Oscar as well as the skinny guy with the top hat who was a hoot. (Can't remember his name!) Aracelli in the lounge, Abigail the wedding coordinator as well as all the people in the background made our visit wonderful. Hope the pics turned out well and be free to ask any questions! On that note I leave a couple of pics...

Happy on the Beach

Time to Leave!

Westin Feb 2009

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
SleepDop --

What a great review and wonderful photos! Nicely done!!^^

Congrats on your wedding and best wishes ahead!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Terrific report with great pictures.

I hope that you have many joyous years together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.