Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by points_maniac
I was talking about the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in Cabo, which easily beats the Westin in Puerto Vallarta. The Sheraton Buganvillas in Puerto Vallarta is probably comparable to the Westin in Puerto Vallarta.
Yeah, that one is good too. But it's in a different city. No where near Puerto Vallarta.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Yeah, that one is good too. But it's in a different city. No where near Puerto Vallarta.
Fair enough. I kind of use the two destinations interchangeably. From SFO they are the same distance, similar weather, similar vegatation, etc. If you only stay in the resort, it doesn't matter much if you are in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. Having said that, Puerto Vallarta is a nicer city than Los Cabos / San Jose del Cabo.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:48 pm

Anybody at the hotel, going to the hotel or pics or updates please keep us posted. I have a stay coming up and not really sure what is going to happen this weekend with the storm. Obviously wish the best to the tourists in the area and of course the locals. It sounds like it could be a bad one!!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
As do I, we arrive on Thanksgiving. Of course my first thoughts go to anyone who is facing this terrible storm.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
We arrive Saturday. Just received an email from Club Regina (next door) that they had steady rain, no damage and are open for business.

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-puerto-vallarta

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webca...o-vallarta-sur

A couple of live webcams. They went offline yesterday afternoon are back.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:55 pm

5 night stay

I arrive tomorrow for 5 nights. Will get pics and report.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Thumbs up Double Upgrade

Spent one evening (10/31) and received a Double Upgrade. Not only was I provided a nice jr suite with balcony and hot tub, I was given platinum credentials and access to the Royal Beach Club. I'm LTG, but did not complain

Neither of these were requested, just checked in as normal.

Angel in the beach club makes a great margarita.

Last edited by aleksir; Nov 11, 2015 at 5:09 pm Reason: additional information
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Gold
Westin PV review

The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Paseo De La Marina Sur 205 Puerto Vallarta, MX 48354

Westin PV review (0 Photo)

Checked in on December 28 for an 8 night stay with family. Checking was smooth and got recognized as Gold. Internet is now FREE at resort.

we got a room on the 3rd floor win a nice of the pool andpartial Oceanview. The Palm trees obstruct view of the ocean.

The breakfast buffet is quite good with lots of variety. The restaurant staff is also. Rey good at main restaurant. Last night they had the big New Years show 'Mamma Mia". Although we didn't attend, it seemed really well put together, albeit a little pricey.

fireworks were pretty good and you could see them all across the Bay Area from different hotels.

Room service pizza was horrible and quite easily one of the worst I've ever had. However the rest of the food at the resort has been quite good.

I also like that the resort is walking distance from Marina and restaurants.

beach is direct acces and waves are calmed. There is also some snorkelling to be done just off shore by the rocks.

Westin PV review

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Thumbs down New Years Stay

I'm a Plat 100...I booked a Grand suite and a connecting Royal Beach Club room. I used points for base rooms (this hotel is great value) then paid an extra $260 to confirm connecting and upgrade to Beach Club floor. Last month I emailed to confirm. They confirmed via email. I check in, they give us non connecting rooms on different floors. I show them our email correspondence and they say: "yes we know but we can't do that anymore. No rooms available." Pathetic. After being downgraded the first night, we were put in the Presidential suite the final 4 nights -- but still no connecting rooms as we booked.

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you enjoy the play? A few other thoughts:

Pool
The pools are fantastic. Just perfect for families. They are even heated up just right to make sure kids can be in all day. And the pool area is huge so you have many options. It's also fairly easy to get pool chairs, which is great.

Beach
A very nice, but small beach. In Mexico beaches are hit or miss but this one is great. Some waves. A bit of a break, so waves not too big. And not too rocky either. The kids loved playing in the ocean. You have your usual selection of water sports that you can haggle with from beach vendors, but aside from that the beach feels private. There are also beach chairs and cabanas that you can rent. Overall, great for a Mexican resort.

Kids Club
We were so excited for this, but it is an absolute disgrace. The Westin brand should be ashamed. We've seen good and bad from around the world, but this was nothing. First off, it's the only resort kids club I've ever seen with no outdoor space. It's in a third floor bunker of the hotel. So they don't ever take kids outside. Second, they had a game room but none (yes, none) of the consoles worked. That's all the one staff member told us. We asked what the schedule/plan for the day was. She said 'coloring.' We asked what else? She said 'coloring.' We dropped off kids and checked on them an hour later. They had crayons in their hands but were sitting watching some Spanish cartoon in front of the TV with the staff woman, who was just chilling. It's was 80 degrees out. We took the kids out and never brought them back. What a missed opportunity for a family resort.

Food
We didn't each much at the hotel. Lunches we had were bland and boring. Typical Resort, so not singling out this hotel in particular. You can walk 5 minutes if you're inclined to get amazing food for a third of the price.

Lounge
We had access to Beach Club Lounge. Staff was amazing. Breakfast was continental style with eggs and French toast. Pretty good. Platinum members can pay more to upgrade to restaurant buffet. Free wine and beer in evenings is a nice touch. With some light snacks.

Staff
Overall the staff was excellent (save for the kids club). Everybody was very friendly and kind. Perhaps not in a rush and more on island time, but that's more Mexico than anything.

Overall.
Despite the room let-down, which is a huge fail in my book, this is a great mid range family resort. Just forget the kids club. Enjoy the great pools. Frankly it's not luxury, but it's one of the best SPG deals out there. 28K points for 5 nights with breakfast. You can't do much better a short flight from the US with kids.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:34 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I have a six night stay coming up here next month. I'm considering booking nights and flights for a second room. Last time I was here was in 2009. Worth it? Has the property improved any in that time?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:39 pm

We stayed here last year and thought the lounge provided an excellent assortment of hot dishes. I think they had 4 or 5 which actually was outstanding or so we thought in comparison to others other than the Sheraton Hua Hin which was also outstanding. Anybody stay here recently and can provide an update on this..........it is so convenient to have this selection if it does the trick for supper and not heading out if we don't feel like it! ........ crossing our fingers. I won't complain too badly as I got an excellent BRG rate for this 11 night stay.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Lounge

Pretty good breakfast spread. Dinner was pretty good. Light snacks and hot snacks. I suppose you could have dinner there.

Good wine and beer. Free.

Great staff.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:56 am

Stayed here last year and just finished another 11 night stay here.......things are a changin' slowly........
We got a great BRG rate so could not pass it up and we honestly really liked the hotel, the location; pool area and great club lounge ( last year ). We arrived and check in was fine albeit I reserved a ocean view deluxe room and they had me on the 4th floor so with much asking and pleading they got me to the 7th floor. That was fine.
I had a lot of good things to say about this hotel before and I am torn because part of me still likes it for the value but part of me is seeing it being slowly changed and getting real tired.

PROS
- Great value!
- We think it is in a great location so close to walk to the Marina and enjoy all the restaurants etc.,
- Pool area and all the palm trees is very relaxing and beautiful
- Service is pretty good
- Bus stop just out the front driveway
- Oxxo right outside the front driveway
- Club Lounge ok??
- Great views from the rooms
- Super close to the airport - like 5 minutes
- Angel and Veronica in the Club Lounge are awesome!! Too bad they lost customers ( tips ) as they changed the evening choices.

CONS
- Rooms and facilities are getting tired -
- Last year the Club Lounge had 3-4 hot items in the evening and this year we found absolutely NOTHING. They had the same set up on the other side with Nachos, salsa, cheese, and few vegetables and have added small sandwiches. It's ok but I think a lot of people were spoiled from what they used to have.

Would I still go back ............absolutely especially if we can get a great deal but I sure hope nothing more changes for the worse as the decision then might be easier to make.

On a side note......they had an hour Cocktail Greeting one night for I am assuming PLAT SPG members in the lobby. They served drinks and had a fellow playing some music.....I guess it was a nice touch???? The GM was down there but did not mingle with the guests. I truly wanted to talk to him but he talked to the same regulars for the first 30-40 minutes and did not move then to the other regulars that maybe come there every year. I was a little put off with that as I thought he would be walking around introducing himself?? I was hoping to talk to him about the hotel, our stay and his thoughts on the upcoming changes with Marriott.....but he really only spoke to what I seen was maybe 4 guests. Oh well.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by aleksir
If you head across the street from the Westin, where the OXXO is, turn left and walk past the few restaurants & a stand alone store to the first street. Turn right down that street and you'll find an entrance into the Marina promenade.

Glad you enjoyed Puerto Vallarta - there are a lot of things to see and do. If you didn't this time, make sure you head downtown to the Malecon, the boardwalk along the bay. We've always felt safe and are looking forward to our visit in November.
Would this walk be safe for a single woman after (early) dinner? I haven't been to PVR before so not entirely sure what to expect.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
Would this walk be safe for a single woman after (early) dinner? I haven't been to PVR before so not entirely sure what to expect.
Yes this area is very safe. It has a rather suburban feel with a lot of tourists and ex-pats around. If you feel unsafe at all you can take a very cheap cab ride, but I think you will be just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.