Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:33 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 16, 06, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Originally Posted by Colin
Are you 5 gay couples? If not, how about using some of that "good money" for private rooms and nice lunches.

wow..thanks for the "helpfull" suggestions....what difference does it make to you how we want to spend our money...

By the way..the rich do not get richer by throwing away their money...

net time keep your "helpfull" suggestions to yourself...
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:27 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
The Westin in located in the Marina area. We go every year- for the past 5- we have only stayed at the "club" timeshare- the buildings are all together- site restaurants are good- but is more fun to go into town- or Marina area- the beach is ok- but have never swam in it since it is so close to the city, and the Pools are wonderful- they "meander" through the resort- so you can either have sun or shade. They have a huge "private" beach area- that is nice- You can walk to the Marina- where they have all price range bars and restaurants- we especially like "Mr.Creams" for breakfast- you do have to go through the "timeshare sales persons"- we always just keep walking and say no thank you- In town there are lots of great places- and alot of time share sales persons- offering free dinners, fishing, tours- we just say- no thanks and go on- Ask ask the bell captain for recomendations of activities and restaurants- there is PePe's and Pipi's - one is a hole in the wall- with authenic Mexican Taco'- and not fancy- the other is just a fun run of the mill- We love going there- I am sure you will have lots of fun- and relaxation.

rlb
Old Jul 17, 06, 4:46 pm

thank you for the reply...

how is the private beach? I have heard that it is too rough to swim in?

What about the nightlife?
Old Jul 20, 06, 9:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by anaggie
I have 5 rooms for 10 guys to Puerto Vallarta for a GUYS ONLY weekend. All of us are in the 30-40 category and make good money, so we can afford the good restaurants and so forth. Need some suggestions with the following:

1) GOOD restaurants for dinner

2) Good, cheap places for lunch

3) Hot Nightspots

4) Where is the hotel located? How is the beach?

Any thing else, pls let me know...

1) Best restaurant in Mexico - Cafe des Artistes, it's two restaurants in one - so you're covered for two nights. People all over the US talk about this place.
Barcelona Tapas is worth a visit. It's nowhere near as good as Cafe des Artistes, but it's about 35% cheaper. If money is no object, though - I'd seriously think about eating at Cafe des Artistes every night.

2) Dont' know

3) They're all pretty lame. It's the typical Mexican frat-boy special. Not that there's anything wrong with that - but doesn't really target your age group. The most promising place may be the club next to the hotel. Can't remember the name...but you can't miss it.

4) Hotel is located in the Marina area. Beach is....not so great. Pools are excellent though.

I wrote a whole page thread on this place. Search on my user name and it should come up.
Old Jul 20, 06, 10:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Niki Beach attached to the Westin can be a fun afternoon place for the girl action.

The pool is excellent. Great swim up bar.

Beach is below average.

Night life is best in town. I always get decent action at the "Zoo" which is a cheap night club on the malacon. I did get mugged by the tourist police there too but that is another story.

Old town is fun for night life too.

Best late night place to eat is Pepe's taco stand across from the Pemex near MacDonalds.

Try to avoid the Marina even though you are right there. Just very dull.

If you guys get pissed enough check out the Plaza de Torros (Bull ring) on Wednesdays. Great afternoon fun to kick start the evening.

My last suggestion is that when you go out reduce your group by atleast half. 10 guys is too many. You will get split up anyway.

What ever you do PV is fairly easy going so I am sure your stag will be great.
Old Jul 21, 06, 11:08 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I think the Westin is a great choice, altho the location is a little far from the "action." But that's what Taxis and buses are for. The rooms are really big, so even two in a room isn't going to feel cramped and they have gigantic bathrooms.

In addition to the multiple bars at the hotel on the beach, another great facility at the Westin is their spa. I know, guy's don't go to spas. But it's a great health club, great massages, nice facilities.
Old Jul 22, 06, 6:22 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Two restaurants we like:

1- River Cafe - good food and reasonable service, and price. Make reservations though.

2- La Palapa - Half the restaurant on the beach. Great atmosphere. Good food, good service, higher end of price but worth it. Off the beaten path on the edge of town.

Anaggie when you come back, please post a trip report, especially with the night life places you went to as we are going back to PV this Christmas again and my kids (25,24,22,19) want to go out.
Old Jul 27, 06, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by wma
Two restaurants we like:

1- River Cafe - good food and reasonable service, and price. Make reservations though.

2- La Palapa - Half the restaurant on the beach. Great atmosphere. Good food, good service, higher end of price but worth it. Off the beaten path on the edge of town.

Anaggie when you come back, please post a trip report, especially with the night life places you went to as we are going back to PV this Christmas again and my kids (25,24,22,19) want to go out.

Wil post a reply after the trip...
Old Sep 5, 06, 12:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
Westin Resort in Puerto Vallerta, Mexico

Does anyone know what kind of amenities you can use your starwood points for at the Westin Resort in Puerto Vallerta?
Old Sep 5, 06, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I asked the concierge about this when we arrived, hoping for a spa option. But all she had was the standard points-to-credit conversion sheet. In US$, it was only a little over a penny a point: not worth it. If they have some reasonable options, the concierge didn't know about them.

I think you can upgrade to Royal Beach Club level (with lounge access) using points. We did an award stay and paid $40/day for a confirmed upgrade (at booking time) to this level. Since there were 4 of us and both the breakfast and afternoon food spreads were pretty good, plus there was complimentary booze, we figured it was a pretty good deal. I would guess that they have the standard 1,500-pt/day upgrade option.

Plats have reported getting RBC as a comp upgrade. As a Gold, I didn't want to roll the dice...

Overall, I think you'll like the property - it's a clean, pleasant resort and a good value as a Category 3.
Old Sep 5, 06, 6:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
That kind of blows. I was hoping I could use the points for meals or something decent. At least the room was free. Thanks for the reply.
Old Sep 5, 06, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by luskinj
That kind of blows. I was hoping I could use the points for meals or something decent. At least the room was free. Thanks for the reply.
You can always do the timeshare dog & pony show if you want some freebies. Only catch: they offers they gave me were lame. Maybe $100 worth of "value" in the form of an activity and meal discounts. Marriott's typical teaser is always in the $200-250 range: either points, room credit, or full blown free stuff. I made what I felt was a reasonable counteroffer - stuff that they had available that would total up to about $200 in value. No dice. I never did see the timeshares... Either they had plenty of buyers or I'm just a lousy negotiator.
Old Sep 6, 06, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Point values are always low like that for Instant Awards...
Old Oct 4, 06, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by anaggie
Wil post a reply after the trip...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608788
Old Oct 4, 06, 12:48 pm

deleted

Search this Thread
Search Engine: