Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
I have a strange question

Originally Posted by sbtinme
My understanding of protocol is that up to two adults staying in YOUR room are eligible for RBC access. All others would need to pay for access. But, another option that might be available to you is paying the extra 1000 points per night for your second room for RBC access -- that would be the best use of 1000 points ever! The RBC here is solid -- 2 hours of comp drinks in the evening -- beer, wine, cocktails -- and a solid spread of snacks and hot foods.

All guests at the hotel have access to all pools (there's really only the one large one, AFAIK). The RBC rooms and suites are on the top two floors -- not in separate buildings. This is a well run hotel and you're going at the very very busiest time of year -- it's a guarantee that they'll be sold out.

Hope you have a great time!
How hard is it to sneak someone in to the RBC? The guest services manager just e-mailed me and said both adults and our two kids will be given access to the RBC (because they are under 12). He offered to add the other room with one adult for $40 a day. I was wondering do they check ids at the door or can we walk in there with an extra person from time to time? Do they check peoples names off a list at the door?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by JB123
How hard is it to sneak someone in to the RBC? The guest services manager just e-mailed me and said both adults and our two kids will be given access to the RBC (because they are under 12). He offered to add the other room with one adult for $40 a day. I was wondering do they check ids at the door or can we walk in there with an extra person from time to time? Do they check peoples names off a list at the door?
Well, remember that this isn't your standard issue suburban Sheraton Lounge with bagelettes and celery sticks. This is a solid lounge with free drinks in the evenings and a better-than-average outlay of food offerings both in the mornings and end of day. Instead of the $40, I'd personally spend the meager 1,000 points per night to upgrade that second room and not have any worries. Life's too short!

In my experience here, during the highest seasons, the lounge arrival desk is manned and sign-ins are required. During softer seasons, unless the staff recognizes you from earlier visits, my experience is that they'll always ask which room you're in and then cross reference that with their master list in the backroom.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
Hi All,

Thank you for all your responses. I am still getting used to all the different rate options avail. @ this property. It seems like it is smartest to book a King room and not worry so much about breakfast in the restaurant given my PLAT status. (Lounge food food is fine for us). I guess we will just roll dice in regards to getting an upgrade when we arrive.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Thank you!

Well, remember that this isn't your standard issue suburban Sheraton Lounge with bagelettes and celery sticks. This is a solid lounge with free drinks in the evenings and a better-than-average outlay of food offerings both in the mornings and end of day. Instead of the $40, I'd personally spend the meager 1,000 points per night to upgrade that second room and not have any worries. Life's too short!

In my experience here, during the highest seasons, the lounge arrival desk is manned and sign-ins are required. During softer seasons, unless the staff recognizes you from earlier visits, my experience is that they'll always ask which room you're in and then cross reference that with their master list in the backroom.

That sounds wise!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent
This is a really nice property located 10 minutes from the airport, and 15 minutes from the main downtown area of Puerto Vallarta. I had three rooms for my trip, and one room was upgraded to a Junior Suite, but no upgrades for the other two rooms. If I wanted to upgrade those rooms to the Club Floor, it would have been 3750 points/night or $40/night ($80/night for non-Plats).

The room itself is fairly spacious. There are two complimentary half-bottles of water in the room. Water pressure was good, but the showerhead wasn’t very good. Water came out in a donut-like shape. The soap dish is poorly thought out – there are no slots for water to drain. But the room is very clean, and housekeeping is efficient. The sheets show a lot of pilling though.

Breakfast in the Lounge is fantastic for a North American property. Compared to the restaurant downstairs, it has maybe 60-70% of the selection. But it was more than enough. There were bread/pastries, cheese, juice, cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, refried beans, roasted potatoes, French toast, and a type of beef stew. Plenty! If you have Club Access, you can eat downstairs in the main restaurant for a $10 surcharge. In the evenings, the Lounge puts out a solid spread as well. Enough to serve as dinner. There are a rotating selection of hot foods such as pasta, a meat dish, and vegetables along with fruit, cheese, chips/salsa, and dessert.

The gym is pretty large, but is kept a bit on the warm side. It appears that they actually wax the treadmills, so be careful – they’re really slippery! Plenty of other cardio equipment, and many weight machines. There’s also a few tennis courts.

The staff have all been fantastic. While further out from the downtown area, it’s a solid property and I wouldn’t hesitate to return here in my future travels.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:07 pm

Our family was at this property for New Year's 2012/2013 and we decided to return this year while we could still book the Cat 2 rate. For 6+ months I've seen "We’re sorry, Suite Night Awards can’t be applied to this reservation" for this stay. Today I noticed I could apply a SNA request and was surprised that the "Grand Deluxe" (basic + hot tub on balcony) room was an option. The property appears to be sold out, so I'm not holding my breath for an upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:30 pm

Poor Platinum Recognition

Just arrived in PVR and check in was a disaster... at registration had to go above and beyond to "prove" my Platinum status, then when I asked about the possibility of an upgrade (SPG.com was showing Junior Suites for sale) I was finally was placed in one with 2 double beds with a front desk agent claiming that was only one available until Wednesday. Ironically, the same individual who had been emailing me prior to my stay to make sure I had everything I needed acted as if they had never heard of me when I checked in. No recognition at all.

Lo and behold when I access wifi in my room (with 2 rock hard beds) I find that King Junior Suites are still for sale on spg.com. A quick call downstairs, I am given even more run around while my wife sits on the balcony wondering when this is going to end.

I stay at the Westin in the DCA area M-Th during the week with no issues at all and sadly I cannot say that my first SPG resort stay is living up to the hype. In fact I have never been treated like this.

The front desk manager has said they will move us to a king room, but this is a little ridiculous. As a platinum member, I understand that sometimes asking for a room change is necessary, but sticking a good client who has earned their status through stays and nights not a co branded credit card in a crappy room and claiming that all they have to do is "upgrade" you is a load of BS.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:52 pm

Has anyone taken a day trip to Sayulita while staying at this property? I'd appreciate any recommendations on how best to get there (hiring a shuttle, renting a car, bus) and if you think it's worth visiting.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by CVilleFlyer
Just arrived in PVR and check in was a disaster... at registration had to go above and beyond to "prove" my Platinum status, then when I asked about the possibility of an upgrade (SPG.com was showing Junior Suites for sale) I was finally was placed in one with 2 double beds with a front desk agent claiming that was only one available until Wednesday. Ironically, the same individual who had been emailing me prior to my stay to make sure I had everything I needed acted as if they had never heard of me when I checked in. No recognition at all.

Lo and behold when I access wifi in my room (with 2 rock hard beds) I find that King Junior Suites are still for sale on spg.com. A quick call downstairs, I am given even more run around while my wife sits on the balcony wondering when this is going to end.

I stay at the Westin in the DCA area M-Th during the week with no issues at all and sadly I cannot say that my first SPG resort stay is living up to the hype. In fact I have never been treated like this.

The front desk manager has said they will move us to a king room, but this is a little ridiculous. As a platinum member, I understand that sometimes asking for a room change is necessary, but sticking a good client who has earned their status through stays and nights not a co branded credit card in a crappy room and claiming that all they have to do is "upgrade" you is a load of BS.
I don't argue any of your points, but understand, please, that this property's very busiest season begins about this Thursday through 2 Jan 2014. There are two weeks a year where this property really makes their profits -- this coming ten days and Easter week. Summers are slow and the fall is dismal. Please know that this hotel sells their suites in advance for peak weeks and hotels are loathe to upgrade a guest into a jr suite only to have you move 48 hours later.

I'll also hasten to add that while this is a competent hotel, it's not the splashiest Westin in the network. With room rates this week hovering in the $120 range one shouldn't expect it to be. Consider it for what it is -a well run facility in a fabulous resort city and don't expect a Four Seasons experience. Don't sweat the small stuff, yo.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 8tracks
Has anyone taken a day trip to Sayulita while staying at this property? I'd appreciate any recommendations on how best to get there (hiring a shuttle, renting a car, bus) and if you think it's worth visiting.
Most assuredly! I always head up to Sayulita when I'm in PV. It affords a funky, 1960s vibe -- surfers everywhere and hundreds of places to camp out on the beach and enjoy cold beers or margaritas. A great way to spend an afternoon.

When I'm at the Westin, I usually rent a car from National at the neighboring Marriott (they're honest and don't screw you on myriad things that can often happen in Mexico) for the day and just drive up. It takes maybe 45 minutes and Bucerias makes a nice morning stop on the way up or an early dinner on the return.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:32 pm

@sbtinme (I'm also originally from the PWM)

We are now happily in a junior suite. Further perusal of the website leads me to believe that the hotel had originally upgraded us to a Grand Deluxe Room not a junior suite (which also FTW has a private jacuzzi tub on the balcony) and comes with 2 doubles or a king size bed. For future stays know that the Junior Suites are on floors 8 and 11.

My beef is that according to the T&Cs and to hotel's discretion--inc. the envelope in which I rec'd my first set of keys, we had been upgraded to the "best available room" which was clearly not the case---evidenced by the fact that a junior suite was available for purchase on spg.com for our entire dates (at multiple rates--prepaid, preferred, rack, etc). While I understand that the hotel is about to enter its busiest period, the fact that a room is available for purchase via spg.com for the dates in question without splitting reservations, leads me to question what the protocol is for treating platinum guests at this property.

That said, we just had an enjoyable cocktail hour @ the lounge on the 12th floor and excellent service @ the beach lounge chairs.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by CVilleFlyer
@sbtinme (I'm also originally from the PWM)

That said, we just had an enjoyable cocktail hour @ the lounge on the 12th floor and excellent service @ the beach lounge chairs.
Ha! I'm originally from ROA! Small world.

The crew in the Royal Beach Club is exceptional -- Angel is a true ambassador for his city and his property. We arrive this weekend and can't wait to be there again.

Enjoy your time in PV!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:19 pm

Most assuredly! I always head up to Sayulita when I'm in PV. It affords a funky, 1960s vibe -- surfers everywhere and hundreds of places to camp out on the beach and enjoy cold beers or margaritas. A great way to spend an afternoon.
Thanks!

Is there an ATM located at a bank (as opposed to a convenience store/hotel standalone ATM) within walking distance to Westin?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by 8tracks
Thanks!

Is there an ATM located at a bank (as opposed to a convenience store/hotel standalone ATM) within walking distance to Westin?
It's always been tricky to find one. I know that (on again, off again) there is sometimes one tucked away at the Westin sorta behind the bellman closet, but I don't know if it's there now. Weird how it comes and goes. The Marriott near you has always had an ATM as well, but it's not a true bank ATM.

As far as a true BANK ATM, I think the closest one will be at the Plaza Marina about 1-2 miles from the hotel. It's back up the road as if you were returning to the airport.

With all of that said, I generally get money out at ATMs in the city when we're down there for dinner or whatever. But, I don't kill myself to do it that way -- in a pinch, I've used the convenience store ATMs many a time and the convenience fee isn't a killer.

Ask the hotel for their best recommendation -- I'm sure they're asked often.

Last edited by sbtinme; Dec 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I have a condo in Punta Mita. I have stayed at the Westin. There is a Mega grocery store close to Westin. Mega has a lot of ATM machines. If you are with a large US bank, they probably have a partner in Mexcio. For example, Bank of America partners with Banco Santandar. Then you have no ATM fee. The Westin ATM is a joke. Does not give you many pesos and large fee. If you want a nice dinner in a great place, go to Punta Mita. Great place. You can also go in the morning and negotiate a person to take you on a boat to see the wonderful whales. We always use a guy names Rudy. Have dinner at Rosa Mexicano, Margaritas, or Si Senor. Right on the water. Also if you are staying a long time at the Westin. There is a Costco nearby if you need anything.

Have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.