Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Edmonton Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Edmonton Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Apologies if this has been talked about elsewhere, but a quick search didn't find anything. The Westin Edmonton was evacuated Tuesday night (February 5) due to a burst water pipe. Everyone was moved to different hotels (and it was a VERY cold night in Edmonton). The leak was discovered around 7 pm (I think). In hindsight I'm a bit surprised I was allowed to go up to my room at about 7:30, as water was leaking into the elevators. My room was in the other tower, so I wasn't overly concerned about the situation, which I figured they would bring under control. Went to sleep fairly early (staying on eastern time), got the call around 10:30 (again, I think, I was deep asleep prior to the call) to pack up and take the stairs down. They were handing out vouchers for other hotels in the lobby, as well as taxi chits - I'd say the staff handled things quite well in the circumstances - and off I went to another hotel (not a Starwood, and certainly not Westin standard, but at least it appeared they were able to relocate all guests (I suspect I was one of the last, I know others were informed much earlier)). No charge for that night. I was also supposed to be there the following night, was on my own to find another hotel as the one I spent Tuesday night at was sold out the following night. Not a lot of fun, but what are you going to do, things happen.

Curious if people think there should be some form of compensation for the inconvenience. Which in my mind was pretty significant.

Looks like the hotel can't be booked until Monday night at this point.
Old May 24, 2020, 9:30 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
just stayed here for 3 nights, award stay, i'm a platinum.

with covid nothing in the hotel was open. probably one wing of one floor was occupied. didn't see many lights on. it looks like they are renovating at least 3 entire floors. no suites or upgrades for me, apparently those are being remodeled too. i got 1146, a larger remodeled room in the adjacent tower with a couch. massive, nice westerly view. staff are very nice, the remodel looks great, typical westin look. the bathtubs are very low however. overall nice stay based on the room and staff friendliness alone. travel is not going to be the same for a long time.
unclepants likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Platinum amenities ?

Originally Posted by cur
just stayed here for 3 nights, award stay, i'm a platinum.

with covid nothing in the hotel was open. probably one wing of one floor was occupied. didn't see many lights on. it looks like they are renovating at least 3 entire floors. no suites or upgrades for me, apparently those are being remodeled too. i got 1146, a larger remodeled room in the adjacent tower with a couch. massive, nice westerly view. staff are very nice, the remodel looks great, typical westin look. the bathtubs are very low however. overall nice stay based on the room and staff friendliness alone. travel is not going to be the same for a long time.
As a Plat, what - if any - other amenities did you receive? Breakfast ? Vouchers ? Hors d'oeuvres? Vouchers?
Old May 25, 2020, 10:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
As a Plat, what - if any - other amenities did you receive? Breakfast ? Vouchers ? Hors d'oeuvres? Vouchers?
i thought due to covid all plat benefits are out other than points and upgrade based on availability. restaurant is not open til 29may, currently restaurants in edmonton can be at 50% dining capacity

bianco across the street is very decent for central alberta italian, i liked their pizza

they said they used to have a temporary club lounge during normal times

they let me help myself to water, perrier, soda from the pantry

they also comped me the $25/night dog surcharge for dog bed+bowl, i do not know if that was goodwill because the front desk agent didn't have any plat amenities for me, a hotel policy to comp it for elites, or an oversight

they are presently remodelling five (5) entire floors right now. suites are being touched up right now but the hallways are done.

Last edited by cur; May 25, 2020 at 10:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.