Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:23 am

The Airport Bus runs every 10 minutes, it's a 5 minute walk to the hotel. The bus uses an HOV lane so will probably be faster than a cab and 1/5th the cost. And you don't have to tip anyone. Public transit in Europe is almost always a better option than cabbing in to the city imo.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lucy2001
And you don't have to tip anyone.
In Spain you never have to tip anyone.

Taxis in Barcelona are fine. There are signs posted in the windows informing tourists what the fare should be (about 28 euros IIRC). Although the meter will run, you are unlikely to get ripped off.

The bus is much cheaper and leaves you near the hotel if you're not carrying much luggage.

Pickpockets are rampant in the Ramblas area so unless you are comfortable with your surroundings you might want to take a taxi for trips when you have all your valuables on you...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
I have use the airport bus many times when I stayed at Le Meridien in Barcelona...easy trip, easy walk to hotel, no problems! Its as easy to use as the Pickadilly line from Heathrow to Park Tower Hotel.
Love when I can be independent coming from airports.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I just did this a month or so ago.

Used a cab (38 Euro but we had additional luggage charge)

No waiting, very easy, maybe 20-25 minutes
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:58 pm

I took the airport bus for like $7.50 or something extremely cheap. It dropped us off about a 5 or 10 minute walk from the LM.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I used the bus upon arrival, but I know Barcelona. Still, be very careful around the Ramblas. If you have a lot of luggage or seem lost, you could be vulnerable.

Hint: From the bus to the hotel, you want to walk downhill.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
You can use one of the taxi apps in use in the Barcelona area (if you have data). HailO works very well and takes AMEX (in addition to Visa/Mastercard of course) and has plenty availability and free reservation.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is the LM worth the 8,000 point premium over the Four Points in Barcelona for an SPG Gold member?

Planning to be out exploring the city most of the time so not sure if worth the premium?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would say it depends on how many points you have and also where in the city you plan to spend most of your time. I really love the Le Meridien, and have often gotten great upgrades there (both as SPG Platinum and Gold, though particularly as Plat). It's also more central for most people's interests. That said, the Four Points by Sheraton is perfectly nice, and the Poble Nou neighborhood is fun to explore, plus it's easy to get to other parts of Barcelona via Metro or taxi.

When I was in Barcelona in September, I spent two nights at the 4 Points and 3 nights in an AirBNB apt in El Born. In March, I'll be back to run the Barcelona Marathon - using points one night at the 4 Points and splurging the night before and after the marathon at the Le Meridien.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spainlover
I would say it depends on how many points you have and also where in the city you plan to spend most of your time. I really love the Le Meridien, and have often gotten great upgrades there (both as SPG Platinum and Gold, though particularly as Plat). It's also more central for most people's interests. That said, the Four Points by Sheraton is perfectly nice, and the Poble Nou neighborhood is fun to explore, plus it's easy to get to other parts of Barcelona via Metro or taxi.

When I was in Barcelona in September, I spent two nights at the 4 Points and 3 nights in an AirBNB apt in El Born. In March, I'll be back to run the Barcelona Marathon - using points one night at the 4 Points and splurging the night before and after the marathon at the Le Meridien.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. If I can use the 8k points somewhere else on my Spain trip then I may switch over to 4 points
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:26 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Currently concluding a six night stay here and the hotel is growing on me. Used a SNA for an upgrade to a Prestige Suite that had some positives but overall I wasn't happy with it. Had a bit of a sook on the second day and was shown some alternatives. Each one was very different and involved different compromises - in a perfect world aspects of each would make a perfect suite. We can't name names on flyertalk but the service from the Assistant Front Office Manager was great.

Staff at breakfast are very good and absolutely plow me with enough expresso that I maintain a base level of shakes for the day. Buffet selection is adequate but really nothing special and could benefit from a higher level of quality ingredients. Over the course of the stay have received a drink voucher for one of the sparkling cocktails at the bar, a bottle of Cava, bottles of sparkling water and some red wine.

Depending on what you are after rooms on the Ramblas side clear the tree line starting on the 5th floor which opens the view up a bit. Also recommend signing the long and multiple page security contract to get the windows unlocked - you can stick your head out the window and get a really nice 180 degree view from the W Hotel across to Catalunya Plaza.

Interior soundproofing in the rooms is very poor. Of course the hotel advertises itself as a five star hotel but more realistic it is a standard four star.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:08 am

When I checked in to my room, with my first successful SNA redemption in use, it was disappointing in the size. Just a single large room. I called to confirm it was a suite, it was a large room - yes. But not really that nice.

We were on the backside of the hotel, and it looked out to the hills. Quiet on this side of the hotel, but I imagine La Ramblas could be different.

Originally Posted by chad75
Currently concluding a six night stay here and the hotel is growing on me. Used a SNA for an upgrade to a Prestige Suite that had some positives but overall I wasn't happy with it. Had a bit of a sook on the second day and was shown some alternatives. Each one was very different and involved different compromises - in a perfect world aspects of each would make a perfect suite. We can't name names on flyertalk but the service from the Assistant Front Office Manager was great.

Staff at breakfast are very good and absolutely plow me with enough expresso that I maintain a base level of shakes for the day. Buffet selection is adequate but really nothing special and could benefit from a higher level of quality ingredients. Over the course of the stay have received a drink voucher for one of the sparkling cocktails at the bar, a bottle of Cava, bottles of sparkling water and some red wine.

Depending on what you are after rooms on the Ramblas side clear the tree line starting on the 5th floor which opens the view up a bit. Also recommend signing the long and multiple page security contract to get the windows unlocked - you can stick your head out the window and get a really nice 180 degree view from the W Hotel across to Catalunya Plaza.

Interior soundproofing in the rooms is very poor. Of course the hotel advertises itself as a five star hotel but more realistic it is a standard four star.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by chad75
Over the course of the stay have received a drink voucher for one of the sparkling cocktails at the bar, a bottle of Cava, bottles of sparkling water and some red wine.

Interesting, we were in a Jr. Suite in the back corner of the top floor and our windows were unlocked (and opened all the way) without having to sign any type of additional agreement.

Also received the bottle of Cava, sparkling water, and Le Pop vouchers upon check-in. Our SNAs didn't clear and the FD staff was almost overly apologetic.

Upon reflecting, the property was good but not exceptional, but the staff was really quite good and the highlight of the visit.

Also, turndown service the first night resulted in the addition of Hermes soaps and cologne to our bathroom, which was kind of neat.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Just wanted to post about some great customer service. I've stayed at the Le Meridien Barcelona 6-10 times over the years. I had a two-night stay reserved for next month as I was planning to run the Barcelona Marathon. Due to an injury, I'm not going to be able to run and hence postponed my trip. I had booked a nonrefundable fare about two months ago (although my credit card hadn't yet been charged). I called, and they agreed to waive that "in an exceptional case." Very happy with their service, and will look forward to returning sometime soon.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spainlover
Just wanted to post about some great customer service. I've stayed at the Le Meridien Barcelona 6-10 times over the years. I had a two-night stay reserved for next month as I was planning to run the Barcelona Marathon. Due to an injury, I'm not going to be able to run and hence postponed my trip. I had booked a nonrefundable fare about two months ago (although my credit card hadn't yet been charged). I called, and they agreed to waive that "in an exceptional case." Very happy with their service, and will look forward to returning sometime soon.
Before we praise LM too much for this, let's remember that if the Barcelona marathon is a major event, hotels will be full and can charge high prices. The hotel may be betting that they can resell your room for much more than your prepaid rate. You might have booked before they were aware of the marathon dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.