Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Originally Posted by Robbo1
I am Gold and am planning a tenth anniversary trip to Spain for my wife and I as that is where we started out honeymoon. We will likely split a ten day trip using Barcelona and Madrid as our bases.

Therefore, given the fact that this property is moving down to a Cat 5 in Mar/09 and the Westin Palace in Madrid is already a Cat 5 I was wondering which you would suggest? I only have enough points for 5 nights at one or the other of these properties.

Thanks
Try cash and points for both properties. You should end up paying less this way then if you used points for one property and cash for the other even with the fifth night free on the regular points reservation.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Just got back from LM Barcelona-mini TR

I just got back from a ten day stay at this property. Let me just start out by saying what a phenomenal property this is. I was treated like royalty the entire time I was there. Every staff member went out of their way to ensure I had everything I needed and always went above and beyond. The manager sent up a bottle of cava on ice on the first night with a welcome letter and later introduced himself to me and asked how my stay was going. I can confidently say that I received phenomenal treatment at this property. I booked a junior suite but was upgraded to a Mediterranean suite. The only downside of the suite was the small size of the safe. I was hoping to fit my 13 inch laptop in the safe but it was too small for it. I had seen various reports from years past both on FT and Trip Advisor that internet was free in any suite but that is not the case. It costs 20E/day.

Breakfast was very good. It had a lot of variety. I even had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Cent Onze a couple of times. The food was fantastic and the service was again, phenomenal. The bar/lounge was a great place to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. They had fantastic Bellini martinis and their Kir Royal was amazing. The bartender made a pitcher of cava sangria for us that was out of sight. It was the best one I had the entire trip. The restaurant manager was a lovely, gracious gentleman who sent us free dessert on two occasions. I loved having my afternoon cappuccino at the Illy coffee bar in the lobby. The gentleman from the coffee bar was very gracious and offered great recommendations on things to do and good restaurants. The entire staff from the doormen to the staff at reception, and the concierge were absolutely phenomenal.

The entire vibe of the property was trendy and funky. The overall ambiance of the hotel was trendy and modern. I loved the music that played throughout the lobby and coffee bar. The bar/lounge also had great music. One thing that we did not discover until the last week we were there was that the hotel had a cava reception in the lobby every evening at 6:30 for their guests. The nightly cava reception was a very nice touch.

Barcelona has MANY great restaurants but if you are in the mood for good tapas, the two restaurants that we enjoyed the most were Ciudad Condal (EXCELLENT cava sangria) on Rambla De Catalunya, 18 and Bar Lobo which is to the right of the entrance to the Hotel 1898.

I tend to really love the W brand and I know that Barcelona will be getting the new W opening later on this year but I can say without a doubt that I will be back at Le Meridien.

If anyone has any more specific questions on this property or Barcelona in general, please feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by avja
Try cash and points for both properties. You should end up paying less this way then if you used points for one property and cash for the other even with the fifth night free on the regular points reservation.
Thanks, that is a good suggestion (and will probably be my choice).

However the other option my wife was thinking of was to book a very trendy modern hotel in one city and the SPG property in the other. Therefore, if you had to choose between the LM Barcelona and Westin Palace which would it be?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Tough choice. I've stayed at both several times and I like them both very much. The Palace is more regal for sure and it has a lot of history. There are some great restaurants within walking distance including the fabulous and romantic Paradis.

The area around LM Barca isn't that great, but you can take a short taxi trip to some excellent restaurants, the local "mountain" and the waterside village. Depending on the time of year, you may want Barca for the weather.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl
I was treated like royalty the entire time I was there. Every staff member went out of their way to ensure I had everything I needed and always went above and beyond. The manager sent up a bottle of cava on ice on the first night with a welcome letter and later introduced himself to me and asked how my stay was going. I can confidently say that I received phenomenal treatment at this property.
Perhaps that is because you are a Fabulously Fly Girl!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
The area around LM Barca isn't that great, but you can take a short taxi trip to some excellent restaurants, the local "mountain" and the waterside village. Depending on the time of year, you may want Barca for the weather.
I guess it is all in what you are looking for. La Rambla is an active street 24/7 with all kinds of entertainment day and night, patios to have a drink at, an it is a great place to stroll and people watch. You are just a block or two away from some of the finest tapas bars, and affordable but wonderful restaurants in Barcelona.

My trip to Barcelona was my first to Spain, and I fell in love. I might be biased in my recomendation of Le Meridien's location, but I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Anyone stay here recently? I have a stay here at the end of July, and I'd love to know what type of rooms Plats get.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I stayed there about two weeks ago. Very nice propoerty. I booked a Deluxe Room and that's what I got (although I'm not Plat). The room was new and very nice. Probably the best bed I have ever slept in at any *wood property. Business Center has free computer access also, which is a nice touch.
Old May 28, 2009, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Anyone stay here recently? I have a stay here at the end of July, and I'd love to know what type of rooms Plats get.
It depends on occupancy. I have gotten upgraded to large suites, and sometimes just executive rooms. But even the Executive rooms are pretty nice and spacious.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:23 am

Any benefits for being SPG gold at this hotel? Is breakfast expensive?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentTraveler
Any benefits for being SPG gold at this hotel? Is breakfast expensive?
I didn't get any benefits as a gold, but I got the room I asked for and I really
loved the big soaking tub in the bathroom after the long flight. The coffee
service in the room was good too - loved those instant nescafe cappucino
packets - can't find them in the states.

I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel. If you go outside and turn right, then
cross the street there is a small alley type street with excellent coffee
and all types of breakfast goodies. Very reasonable, I ate there every morning.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Just returned from a two night stay - terrible.

Had reserved via prepaid rate two rooms - one junior suite and one base room (whatever category that is). Upon check in, which I waited a good 20 minutes for, I was told there were no upgraded rooms of any sort available. I figured that it would be OK, it has happened before and would not be the end of the world. However, when I walked into the room and saw my view of the roof next door, realized that I wasn't even on the SPG floor (really? were there really enough Platinum guests that night to fill the entire floor before I checked in?), and confirmed via SPG.com that better rooms were available - I was not happy. I know that the website is not the end all indicator of true availability, but it is a start.

So, I called down to the front desk for something, anything. I was not asking for a suite (even though one appeared to be available on SPG.com), just a better room such as a Ramblas view or perhaps something on the SPG floor. I was told nothing was available, so I called the Platinum Concierge who called the front desk on my behalf. Although she was told the same thing, I immediately recieved a call from the front desk offerring to show me what turned out to be a rather dilapidated un-renovated suite with no viewas well as a renovated Ramblas view. I took the Ramblas view.

After spending a considerable amount of time with the check-in/upgrade game, I went downstairs to use the 30 minutes of complimentary wireless internet in the lobby. Of course, although my laptop has worked without issue worldwide, it did not work on their network. I spoke with the front desk agent who informed me that this was common and offered to comp me the 30 minute paid option - worked for me. Same issue on the second day, however instead of comping me, they handed me the phone to call the help desk. A half hour of running basic diagnostic tests while standing at the front desk later and I gave up - no apology from anyone at the hotel.

There were other issues with the concierge such as terrible dinner recommendations, having a personal phone conversation during a discussion with us, as well as simply leaving the desk for a good 20 minutes during a peak time (dinner - 8 or 9pm).

I would never stay here again or recommend it, and it is certainly no bargain. Was much happier with the Hotel Arts the next day - better rate, significantly better physical room/property, and better service.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Is 5 nights at this hotel too long on vacation? First time in spain with three other adults. Arriving Barcelona from LAX. Considering 5th night free option as I will use a award points. I may be willing to stay the duration if getting to and from a beach for the day is not too much trouble. Headed to Roses for a few days after Barcelona.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIKEM
Is 5 nights at this hotel too long on vacation? First time in spain with three other adults. Arriving Barcelona from LAX. Considering 5th night free option as I will use a award points. I may be willing to stay the duration if getting to and from a beach for the day is not too much trouble. Headed to Roses for a few days after Barcelona.
There's a lot to do in Barca so I don't think it's too long. I generally drive my own car there and head much further down for the beaches so I don't know how long a taxi to the local beaches would be. Not too bad I don't think.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by MIKEM

Thanks in advance!
If you know you want to be down at the beach, I'd split my stay and just get a room down there (Hotel Arts is nice). The Le Meridien isn't too far from the beach, but its just not that nice. I really didn't like this property, as noted in my comments above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.