FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points Ventura, CA 2006 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/566558-four-points-ventura-ca-2006-master-thread.html)

Camino1 Jul 7, 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Motion122 (Post 9384940)
No upgrade since the hotel was very full, and it really was!

Poor design, the hotel is noisy, can hear people walking all night long...poor insulation.

Other than that, it is just another 4 pts.

I stayed there last night. I have stayed before and only because it's the lone *wood in the area. I don't know if I will go back unless it's a mattress run, and even in that case I might just get the room and stay elsewhere.

I killed 2 mosquitoes in the bath upon arrival, the TV was really dark, and there was an elevator-like noise coming thru the wall, even though we were near neither the elevator nor ice machine.

Eastbay1K Jul 7, 2008 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Camino1 (Post 9995649)
I stayed there last night. I have stayed before and only because it's the lone *wood in the area. I don't know if I will go back unless it's a mattress run, and even in that case I might just get the room and stay elsewhere.

I killed 2 mosquitoes in the bath upon arrival, the TV was really dark, and there was an elevator-like noise coming thru the wall, even though we were near neither the elevator nor ice machine.

But, you had power, you earned Starpoints, and you weren't in danger of being burned to a crisp if the wind shifted direction. Glass half full. :-:

Camino1 Jul 7, 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 9995660)
But, you had power, you earned Starpoints, and you weren't in danger of being burned to a crisp if the wind shifted direction. Glass half full. :-:

We live in Santa Barbara and went to Ventura for the simple pleasure of taking a walk in clean air.

adventurous Jan 26, 2009 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Camino1 (Post 9995649)

I have NO idea how they stay in business. The HIX is next door, and much better. Farther away are Hilton Garden Inn, which is quite nice and costs less. Then there are the Embassy Suites and such which cost more.

I cannot return to this hotel.

thaliajen May 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I was hoping to read good things as I'm considering a longish stay later this month and in early June. We're adopting a baby in CA and our lawyer is in Ventura. I'll need to stay out with the baby for 1-3 weeks after he is born, depending on how long the legal red tape takes, and this looked like a good option. It is close enough to my lawyer's office so that I don't need to drive much, and semi-reasonably priced. I've only stayed at one 4 Points before but we do have to cut costs, so I was hoping to hear good things about this hotel.

In reality, there are other hotels there that are better suited for my needs, the above-mentioned Hilton Garden Inn and other suite-type hotels, but I had hoped that this would work. I know the 4 Points I stayed at in MI had a fridge and microwave in the room, but maybe that's not at all 4 Points?

I prefer having some space, so maybe the suite hotels will work better. but I'll have to give it a chance for a few days, I guess. I'm writing this from the Westmoreland Suite at the Westin Dublin, so it's a bit difficult to imagine going from this to that, LOL! But as long as I have our baby, I know I'll manage.

If anyone has any recent info about this property, especially regarding suite upgrades for Plats, I'd appreciate hearing from you, thanks! :)

3Cforme May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 11744599)
In reality, there are other hotels there that are better suited for my needs, the above-mentioned Hilton Garden Inn and other suite-type hotels, but I had hoped that this would work. I know the 4 Points I stayed at in MI had a fridge and microwave in the room, but maybe that's not at all 4 Points?

I have had stays at this property that included a fridge & microwave (and once a suite upgrade) but it seems a single phone call to hotel management could resolve this.

IMO this is not one of the finer examples of the 4P genre.

onedog May 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 11744599)
I was hoping to read good things as I'm considering a longish stay later this month and in early June. We're adopting a baby in CA and our lawyer is in Ventura. I'll need to stay out with the baby for 1-3 weeks after he is born, depending on how long the legal red tape takes, and this looked like a good option. It is close enough to my lawyer's office so that I don't need to drive much, and semi-reasonably priced. I've only stayed at one 4 Points before but we do have to cut costs, so I was hoping to hear good things about this hotel.

I prefer having some space, so maybe the suite hotels will work better. but I'll have to give it a chance for a few days, I guess. I'm writing this from the Westmoreland Suite at the Westin Dublin, so it's a bit difficult to imagine going from this to that, LOL! But as long as I have our baby, I know I'll manage.

If anyone has any recent info about this property, especially regarding suite upgrades for Plats, I'd appreciate hearing from you, thanks! :)

I stay at the Four Points Ventura on a pretty regular basis, with my most recent stay being just last week.

Just as a data point, before they converted the HIX it was previously just treated as a separate wing of the 4Pts, and before that I don't know. Unless they have drastically refurbished the rooms at the HIX during the past year or so (which I doubt since it just opened as a HIX a couple of years ago), the rooms at the 4Pts win hands down.

I checked in around 9 p.m. and was greeted by name by the front desk clerk and was quickly checked into a room on the third floor. Platinums are given a snack goody bag at check in that contains a red delicious apple, a bottleof water and a granola bar. I don't like red delicious apples and so I trade mine in for another bottle of water and another granola bar. There is a complimentary bottle of water in the room. If I recall correctly, my room had a mini-fridge and a microwave. Again, confirm with the front desk if all rooms have a mini-fridge and microwave. I usually ask for a room on the east side of the hotel (closest to the HIX) as I have found that the free wireless signal is stronger on that side.

My regular room was recently refurbished, with all new furnishings, curtians, a flat screen tv and a redone bathroom. The bathroom was extremely bright (white walls and lots of bright lights). There is a work desk in the room and the rooms have a great view of the Ventura marina. The beds are comfortable and are the 4Pts Sleeper beds. When I checked out, I asked the front desk if all the rooms had already been refurbished (as opposed to just the SPG Preferred Guest 3rd floor) and he confirmed that all rooms in the hotel were refurbished.

On many occasions I have been upgraded to one of the suites on the 3rd floor (right behind the elevators). These are very spacious two room suites with a separate sleeping room. The other room contains a microwave, mini-fridge, a dining table and a couch. Each of the rooms has a full bathroom and television. As I am by myself when I stay at the 4 Pts, I don't really care or need for an upgrade to one of the suites so I don't know if they have been refurbished.

The lobby has been completely refurbished and there is a lobby lounge/bar that has flat screen tv's where you can catch sports while having a drink or a bite to eat. I haven't eaten at the hotel restaurant so I cannot comment on that.

I haven't used the workout room at the hotel lately so I don't know if it has been refurbished, but the last time I used it over a year ago, it was extremely tired and in disrepair. If a nice workout gym is important to you, I'd confirm with the front desk if it has been refurbished.

The only real benefit that the HIX has over the 4Pts is the complimentary breakfast, although I have found that the HIX rates are usually higher than the 4Pts so I guess you are really paying for that "complimentary" breakfast via the higher room rate.

The 4Pts has a decent looking north-south tennis court on site (although I have never played on the court) and a rather dreadful jacuzzi.

Overall I am generally please with my stays at the 4Pts Ventura.

thaliajen May 14, 2009 10:29 am

I'm so happy to hear something nice! This morning (I'm in Ireland) we found that our Birthmom might be induced tomorrow. So we're cutting our Irish trip short and heading home. We'll know more tomorrow if we're going to be flying to LAX directly or get to go home for a few days. If I could get a suite at this 4 Points, it would be an ideal place for me and the baby to stay while we wait, but it sounds like suites are hard to get. Still, it also sounds as if Plats are treated well, and I'm happy to hear about the microwave/fridge, even if we have to rent it.

If it is only 1 week, I can do the 4 Points. If it goes longer (and it likely will) then I may have to find something cheaper for the 2nd or 3rd week. I guess it all depends on the rate, the room available (if i can get a suite elsewhere for the same price, I'll take it) and the baby. Right now, the hubby and i just want to get back to the states before the baby decides to arrive, or the doctor decides to induce. We can't quite figure out why they'd want to induce a young woman who isn't even at her due date yet, but we'll find out!

I think we'll be at Sheraton or Westin Airport while the baby is in the hospital, and then once he is released, we will head to Ventura! It all seems so unreal to me that I won't believe it until I'm there, with the hubby and the new frequent flyer! ;)

Thanks for the info- it is greatly appreciated!

onedog May 14, 2009 1:39 pm

As a SPG Platinum, call the 4Pts and ask them if it is possible for an upgrade to a suite and explain the special need. I have found that they are pretty reasonable and it can't hurt. All they can say is "can't confirm, wait till check-in".

Also, ask for the revenue manager and explain your length of stay situation and ask them what type of rate you can get for a 3 week stay. Offer to front load the rate (regular rate on first week and then significantly cheaper on remaining days so that average rate you are paying is the "negotiated discount rate") so that in case your stay is cut short, the hotel isn't unfairly losing revenue.

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 11748004)
I'm so happy to hear something nice! This morning (I'm in Ireland) we found that our Birthmom might be induced tomorrow. So we're cutting our Irish trip short and heading home. We'll know more tomorrow if we're going to be flying to LAX directly or get to go home for a few days. If I could get a suite at this 4 Points, it would be an ideal place for me and the baby to stay while we wait, but it sounds like suites are hard to get. Still, it also sounds as if Plats are treated well, and I'm happy to hear about the microwave/fridge, even if we have to rent it.

If it is only 1 week, I can do the 4 Points. If it goes longer (and it likely will) then I may have to find something cheaper for the 2nd or 3rd week. I guess it all depends on the rate, the room available (if i can get a suite elsewhere for the same price, I'll take it) and the baby. Right now, the hubby and i just want to get back to the states before the baby decides to arrive, or the doctor decides to induce. We can't quite figure out why they'd want to induce a young woman who isn't even at her due date yet, but we'll find out!

I think we'll be at Sheraton or Westin Airport while the baby is in the hospital, and then once he is released, we will head to Ventura! It all seems so unreal to me that I won't believe it until I'm there, with the hubby and the new frequent flyer! ;)

Thanks for the info- it is greatly appreciated!

jschutz Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am

I just recently stayed here and it is one of the poorest SPG properties I have ever been in. I would never do this property again. Despite the property being relatively empty - my Platinum "upgrade" was a 2nd floor standard room overlooking the dirt (that's right - I said dirt) and gravel on the 1st floor roof - not to mention the trash bin pickup area for the hotel.

This place is in shocking need of repairs, maintenance and renovation. Just my opinion of course.

adventurous Aug 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by onedog (Post 11745815)
I stay at the Four Points Ventura on a pretty regular basis, with my most recent stay being just last week.

Just as a data point, before they converted the HIX it was previously just treated as a separate wing of the 4Pts, and before that I don't know. Unless they have drastically refurbished the rooms at the HIX during the past year or so (which I doubt since it just opened as a HIX a couple of years ago), the rooms at the 4Pts win hands down.

I have actually stayed at both over the past 2 years and can say that the HIX is better--not just the room & lobby, but the location is way better than the 4Points. I'm glad you had a good stay, though. It's promising.

adventurous Aug 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jschutz (Post 12280559)
I just recently stayed here and it is one of the poorest SPG properties I have ever been in. I would never do this property again. Despite the property being relatively empty - my Platinum "upgrade" was a 2nd floor standard room overlooking the dirt (that's right - I said dirt) and gravel on the 1st floor roof - not to mention the trash bin pickup area for the hotel.

This place is in shocking need of repairs, maintenance and renovation. Just my opinion of course.

I was surprised to see a positive review from the earlier poster. It really is a low quality hotel, and wayyy overpriced.

dankyone Nov 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Of course it is a low quality hotel. It is a Four Points. I have only ever stayed in one other Four Points (I am in Ventura now) and it was also old and motel-like.

That said, for my 4000 starpoints I am in the "fireplace suite" and while the plastic curtains, unpainted woodwork, and window air conditioners don't really do it for me--I am actually more satisfied here than I have been at some Westins/Luxury collection properties paying $250-400 and receiving something worth much less. It is all about setting expectations--my expectations for the 4 pts Ventura were ultra low, the reality was somewhat better, therefore I am satisfied.

adventurous Dec 13, 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by dankyone (Post 12851123)
Of course it is a low quality hotel. It is a Four Points. I have only ever stayed in one other Four Points (I am in Ventura now) and it was also old and motel-like.

That said, for my 4000 starpoints I am in the "fireplace suite" and while the plastic curtains, unpainted woodwork, and window air conditioners don't really do it for me--I am actually more satisfied here than I have been at some Westins/Luxury collection properties paying $250-400 and receiving something worth much less. It is all about setting expectations--my expectations for the 4 pts Ventura were ultra low, the reality was somewhat better, therefore I am satisfied.

It might be worth it if it cost 4k Starpoints and I got a suite upgrade.

Right now only the rack rate is $235 available at the Four Points Ventura. I could get a room at Santa Barbara's Fess Parker's resort right now for $205, or less. It's well worth the 30 minute drive.

Unless someone has a better explanation, the only reason the the 4Points costs so much is because you'd have to go to L.A. to find another Starwood property. What you are getting at the Ventura property is stay/night credit. I use the Fess Parker property as an extreme example as it is a prime destination. There are other brands much closer where one could do well for even less.

azepine00 Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Unbelievable. :rolleyes: How on earth did they get resort designation???