Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Old May 18, 2005, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Preface: Just in from SFO on UA for one day at Expo 2005 then additional days in Japan. Depart for TPE on UA in a few days from NGO.

Rate: I have no status with Marriott. I would have preferred a stay at a Starwood or Hilton property as it would help me maintain status. No Hyatt in area. The Westin Nagoya Castle was never available and the Hilton always priced at 10000 plus more yen per night. I had booked this night a few months ago and assume it was in the lowest category room the Marriott has.

Transportation: The group tour I am with for the Expo 2005 only is staying at the Nagoya Tokyu Hotel. From this Hotel is was a short walk to the Sakae subway station and then two stops to Nagoya Station which the Marriott sits atop. From NGO the Hotel is very accessible as you have many options. From Nagoya Station you can go anywhere in Japan via train. A very very convenient location.

Check-in: The Hotel has a front and back entrance at Nagoya Station. I have only used the back. You take a lift to 15 which is reception. From this point the rooms are on another lift. I was given a room on a very high floor. I inquired about a paid upgrade and told the Hotel fully booked. If coming from the US you air crew will probably be here.

Perks: None.

Room: The room is small but comfortable. I seem to be in part of the wedge extension and face out upon the fire exit stairway. At least I know where it is. It is also comforting knowing that the tallest building in Nagoya has a "outdoor" servicing emergency stairwell.

The room has a queen bed, chair, table, desk with chair and ok size bathroom. It does not have a separate shower and tub. A small room. The room has a frig which is not electronic so you can stick your stuff in it. A decent room and frankly more than I expected.

Communication: The room has free HSIA which is also another reason I am here. I could never verify if the Nagoya Hilton had free internet access.

Closing: As I have no status with Marriott I did have reservations about staying here. This along with peak season in Nagoya for the Expo. I was pleasantly surprised. I would stay here without doubt again. All rates being equal I would have to opt for the Hilton or Westin since I would have Lounge access. Regards from NGO
Old May 18, 2005, 3:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great report. I'm glad your brought your hotel review report format over to the Marriott forum; it's an excellent overview of this hotel.
Old May 18, 2005, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. I feel better about it and savings 10000 plus yen. It paid for my subway, dinner last night and a host of other things during this trip. Thanks for encouraging me to use the Marriott. Regards
Old May 19, 2005, 3:27 pm

RTWSTARALLIANCE: We enjoyed this hotel again last month when we two couldn't get into the Westin. The hotel has the most fabulous pool I've ever seen in a hotel--we spent an hour every night soothing our tired bones and muscles after we had our usual sushi dinner at Kappa, a place we have been 4 times during the past 2 years that is on the 10th floor of the arcade.

Look forward to hearing if the lunchmeat appearing like carpet squares are at the Westin Kyoto. The Concierge Lounge Marriott Nagoya does not serve them for breakfast!

Regards,
Old May 19, 2005, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Actually at the Westin in Kyoto now. I'll report on carpet squares. Japan sure is special. Regards
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
No tattoo policy?

Anyone have any experience at the pool that reflects a wierd policy they have on the website? The front page of this hotel's website says, "This hotel does not admit guests with a visible tattoo into the pool or sauna area (regardless of the size or placement of the tattoo, as long as it can be seen) "

This is certainly the most bizarre rule I have ever seen, and from my knowledge of Japanese culture, there is nothing wrong with tattoos. Anyone have any ideas?

For the record, I am tattoo-less, but very curious about this bizarre policy!
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:43 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, AA,
Tatoos are sign of Yakuza/Gangster membership

"This is certainly the most bizarre rule I have ever seen, and from my knowledge of Japanese culture, there is nothing wrong with tattoos. Anyone have any ideas? "

Traditionally, Tatoos are sign of Yakuza/Gangster membership. So, who wants gangsters in the place? This has chnaged a little bit recently in Japan with some young people getting tatoos, but they are are not generally socially acceptable.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Marriott Nagoya with day trip to Takayama report 5/11 & 05/26/2006

INFO ON TAKAYAMA. See below.

Preface: In Japan for a solid week of sightseeing. On the agenda- Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Takayama, Fukuoka (Hakata stop on JR), Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kure, Fukuoka and Osaka. Have JR Green Car pass. 37,800 yen.

Rate: I booked the rate online and picked the least expensive. I have no Marriott status and asked kindly for a upgrade. The Westin was less but less convenient and the Hilton was more.

Transportation: I arrived into KIX so this was my first trip "up". Considering I arrived on AC at around 3 PM and was into Nagoya Station at 6:11 PM I was pleasantly surprised. At KIX I sent a box, recharged my Vodaphone and exchanged my rail pass good time. From KIX I took the Haruka to Kyoto Station then transferred to the Shinkansen. This is much easier the a transfer at Osaka Station. Also the Haruka Green Car is much less crowded.

Check-in: I was fortunate to get a agent we had very good English. She spent 9 months in Australia and Perth in particular. She was also familiar with Takayama having been there. I was given a room on 33 looking out towards Nagoya. Better than the wedge from the last trip.

Perks: None. But that is ok.

Room: A standard Marriott Associa Room but about 40% larger than last year.

Communications: Free wired HSIA.

Closing: SIDE TRIP TO TAKAYAMA. I have been hearing about this town for a few years. That is exactly what it is. A town left in time so to speak. You can find my info I was surprised online. I am about to google it again. From Nagoya Station you will take the JR EX wide view train from track 11. (thank you yasuki for that info) Now you need to plan you day well. I need to be in Hakata this evening for my stay. The first regular train it looks for all days departure is 8:43 AM with arrival at 10:52. The train apparently has a Green Car as that was noted on each of my tickets by the agent. According to the Marriott agent you exit and walk straight forward to reach the old town area of Takayama. My departure is in a few hours and I will report back. According to Life_Platinum who has been to the town a few years ago there should be a Best Western. I could not find it and it may have changed chains. I picked the Marriott so I could leave my luggage and pick it up when I pass via Nagoya to Hakata. Will advise much more later. Regards
Old May 26, 2006, 12:24 pm

What is a "green car"?

Looking forward to your report; glad to hear you have safely arrived in Japan.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
This is excellent timing. I am off to Japan for the first two weeks of July, and I have NO idea what I am going to do. I was planning on doing some research next week...

And yes, what is a Green Car?
Old May 26, 2006, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

JR Rail Passes

Rail passes are issued in two classes. Green Car is like First Class so to speak. Cars are 2 by 2 versus 2 by 3 in "coach".

Thanks. The ride was ok kinda like KLM in their two cabin in Business. More later.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
And yes, what is a Green Car?
It seems to be the Japanese railroads' name for first class.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Clue to where I will post. I will put Hiroshima, Kure and Miyajima into my Hyatt Regency Fukuoka report.

I am thinking about the observatory in Osaka and Osaka Castle. See that under Hilton Osaka report to follow.

I may and try to get in the National Musuem in Kyoto along with a stay at the new Hyatt Regency Kyoto.
Old May 27, 2006, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Takayama day trip

From Nagoya you will depart and arrive on track 11. The fastest trip takes a little more than 2 hours each way. The town is up in the mountains and it has been said lost in time. I think not. The town has been turned into a commercial enterprise much like my native Sacramento has its own Old Sacramento. It is well worth the trip as a day trip from Nagoya and Kyoto. A day trip from Osaka or Tokyo would be pushing it. Trust me. I am now in Hakata and it has been a long day.

If you have a JR pass the fare is included. I have a Green Car pass. The train up was 2 by 1 and back down 2 by 2. The 2 by 1 is much better. The trains are made for views with huge windows. My real treat actually came on the train with a brief look at the Japan Alps. Beautiful. You can not see on the ground in Takayama.

The town as stated in made for tourists. That being said when you leave the station and there is only one exit head towards the information booth. Ask for a brouchure in English. They were not on the counter. This excellent color brouchure (brought one back for your SanDiego1k) will be your guide. That further being said I did not have enough time. It was clear this should have been a one night trip in Takayama. I did see a building with a Best Western sign. It is only a one night trip. You will see the historic old town, period houses, Hida village, morning markets, temples, museums and floats. Note only a one night trip.

I always thought it interesting Japan resisted CA rice which tastes much better. The Japanese govt must provide a subsidy because it seems every family has a rice field. On the way to Takayama you will see this. When you leave and enter Nagoya you will be seated backwards. Rest assured the Japanese have taken care of this. All will be resolved in Gifu.

I was not able to find weather info on yahoo for Takayama. As it is in the mountains it could be cold. Dress properly and be ready. That being said again I overpacked as many others did also. There are lockers at Takayama Station. I also got my ticket to return for later and moved forward. This would be advised as it was to me. The later trains fill fast as everyone tries to leave at the late afternoon. Since you will probably have a pass get both you tickets for each way. Well that is it for Takayama. A place for me to return. Regards
Old May 27, 2006, 11:28 am

Awesome report. The ride itself sounds like reason enough to go. I've just returned to California from Japan; you're giving me fodder for a future trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.