Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Best Starwood/Marriott property in Los Angeles

Since the merger, lots of new properties have been added, making it more complex deciding where to stay during next visit.

Personally, I've stayed 2 times at W Westwood, was not blown away, but neither was I disappointed.
It is a stylish hotel, with nice pool area and it has STK LA as restaurant.
The neighbourhood is rather quiet, next to UCLA and residential.
Valet service is expensive, I believe it was $50, but their was enough parking space in the street available during my stays.
Had some issues with a noisy AC and the bathroom had a sewer smell from time to time, I informed the manager about it and he took care of it very professionally.

Going back in March, for business, and I am wondering if I should book same W again, or if I should explore other properties in LA...

Will be spending the weekend and I have a car, my meetings are all outside of LA, so it won't let that decide my location.
It's always nice to be in a nice area, with restaurants and bars on walking distance.
Was looking into Le Meridien Santa Monica, as it looks like a great and lively area during day-time, but how is it at night?
Also, if you want to go to Beverly Hills or downtown, it's seems like quite a distance.

The SLS seems like a nice place as well, but more towards Beverly Grove rather than Beverly Hills, is this a better location than W Westwood?
The Ritz Carlton in Venice looks interesting, but I have really no idea what Marina Del Rey is like once the sun goes down...

Anybody with other options which suit my criteria of a good quality hotel in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants and bars nearby?

Last edited by Remcod; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
If you define "nice" area as lots of restaurants within walking distance, then SLS. But I wouldn't want to spend leisure time on LaCienega Blvd, which is not a particularly "nice" area by my definition (I define "nice" as aesthetically pleasing, quiet, etc.). And even the restaurants you could reach on Restaurant Row on La Cienega are mostly high end chains, hardly the best dining LA has to offer.

Ritz isn't in Venice, it's in Marina del Rey. Amazing restaurants on Abbott Kinney (Venice) and Washington Blvd (the border between MdR and Venice) within a mile -- Admiralty Blvd. itself is scenic with its wide green spaces (rare in LA) and sailboat views but pretty weak from a dining perspective within walking distance. W Westwood is similar, good restaurants within say a mile radius but the immediate area is quiet although in a good way considering its convenient location in Westwood.

Without injecting my own strong bias against Santa Monica, I just had an Italian family visit us over the holidays and Santa Monica was their least favorite locale in the LA area, even with teenage kids who generally liked the pier.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Remcod
Since the merger, lots of new properties have been added, making it more complex deciding where to stay during next visit.

Personally, I've stayed 2 times at W Westwood, was not blown away, but neither was I disappointed.
It is a stylish hotel, with nice pool area and it has STK LA as restaurant.
The neighbourhood is rather quiet, next to UCLA and residential.
Valet service is expensive, I believe it was $50, but their was enough parking space in the street available during my stays.
Had some issues with a noisy AC and the bathroom had a sewer smell from time to time, I informed the manager about it and he took care of it very professionally.

Going back in March, for business, and I am wondering if I should book same W again, or if I should explore other properties in LA...

Will be spending the weekend and I have a car, my meetings are all outside of LA, so it won't let that decide my location.
It's always nice to be in a nice area, with restaurants and bars on walking distance.
Was looking into Le Meridien Santa Monica, as it looks like a great and lively area during day-time, but how is it at night?
Also, if you want to go to Beverly Hills or downtown, it's seems like quite a distance.

The SLS seems like a nice place as well, but more towards Beverly Grove rather than Beverly Hills, is this a better location than W Westwood?
The Ritz Carlton in Venice looks interesting, but I have really no idea what Marina Del Rey is like once the sun goes down...

Anybody with other options which suit my criteria of a good quality hotel in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants and bars nearby?
you might want to review the existing thread on this. Lots of good current information in that thread.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I just finished a 2 night at the Westin Bonaventure. Renovated room, quite happy. Breakfast buffet was great.

The JW/Ritz looked appealing.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm going to the Siggraph conference in LA at the end of July. I usually stay at the Westin Bonaventure, but would prefer something closer to the conference center this year. I appreciate the free Platinum breakfast, a comfortable room and a nice pool.

Which would you choose and why?
JW Marriott LA Live
Residence Inn LA Live
Courtyard LA Live
Ritz-Carlton LA (probably not, because no free breakfast?)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm going to the Siggraph conference in LA at the end of July. I usually stay at the Westin Bonaventure, but would prefer something closer to the conference center this year. I appreciate the free Platinum breakfast, a comfortable room and a nice pool.

JW Marriott LA Live
Residence Inn LA Live
Courtyard LA Live
Easy for me. I don't like R-C's as they seem pretty stuffy so that's out. I've stayed at the other three, and the JW is the nicest property and directly on the plaza as opposed to being across the street. I've stayed at the other locations when the JW is booked or has crazy rates. In general, I prefer full service hotels with nice lobbies and better room furnishings over the CY or RI.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Easy for me. I don't like R-C's as they seem pretty stuffy so that's out. I've stayed at the other three, and the JW is the nicest property and directly on the plaza as opposed to being across the street. I've stayed at the other locations when the JW is booked or has crazy rates. In general, I prefer full service hotels with nice lobbies and better room furnishings over the CY or RI.
Thanks. I kind of like the RI for the little kitchen, although I'll probably just use it for a 6 pack of craft beer and some Ben&Jerry's.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
JW Marriott LA Live
Residence Inn LA Live
Courtyard LA Live
If someone else is paying, I'd pick RC.

I would definitely not choose the JW, which IMO is not deserving of JW brand. Rooms are small and poorly furnished. No blackout curtains, and if you're on the LA Live side of the building, the flashing neon will light up your room at night like it's on the Vegas strip. Only redeeming feature is a decent lounge (which does not open until 6:30 am, and is immediately packed full. If you like a relaxing breakfast, forget it.).

Might consider Sheraton Grand, which is not that far.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I stayed at the Sheraton Grand a few years ago. The property was renovating, so it might be better now. I found the Sheraton to be good for being in the middle of downtown, but the small round lounge on the top floor wasn't that great. Breakfast was barely OK.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I stayed at the Sheraton Grand a few years ago. The property was renovating, so it might be better now. I found the Sheraton to be good for being in the middle of downtown, but the small round lounge on the top floor wasn't that great. Breakfast was barely OK.
The downtown LA options are just not that great. It's one of those areas where the properties are highly competitive in their mediocrity.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If someone else is paying, I'd pick RC.

I would definitely not choose the JW, which IMO is not deserving of JW brand. Rooms are small and poorly furnished. No blackout curtains, and if you're on the LA Live side of the building, the flashing neon will light up your room at night like it's on the Vegas strip. Only redeeming feature is a decent lounge (which does not open until 6:30 am, and is immediately packed full. If you like a relaxing breakfast, forget it.).

Interesting ... guess we all see things differently.

I'd never pick the RC regardless of who was paying. I've stayed there several times and never been bothered by the lights. I typically get a fairly large room or sometimes a suite and its pretty standard newish JW furnishings. Definitely a nicer room the Westin Bonaventure.

But, LA Live as an area is pretty blah and I agree choices are limited
fotoflyer88 and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Had a really nice 1 night stay at the Sheraton Grand LA. Renovation is done and the staff is attentive. Easy access to the Metro if you want the subway. Club lounge access and was upgraded to a suite. Wayyy better independent places to eat and drink than LA Live, which is mega-Blah.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Staying at the SLS BH for three nights at the end of April - any feedback from recent stays?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
Staying at the SLS BH for three nights at the end of April - any feedback from recent stays?
They've renovated so the hard product is improved. Pool area is nice but bar closes stupid early. Plat breakfast is excellent. The location is nice and Bazar can't be beat.

On the downside, I've not been happy with some issues the past couple of stays. Points haven't posted and I don't get the bill so I have to call. I was charged for the platinum breakfast the last two stays. If I hadn't called, it would just be another charge on my card. Then the last two stays they didn't upgrade me and even tried to sell me an upgrade for $200 since it wasn't a "standard" suite. Seems like they may have decided to follow the legacy SPG "standard" game which has not been my experience in early stays.

So ... deciding whether I'll keep staying there. The Edition opens soon. The overall property feel of the SLS is excellent. Not sure, however, the rooms are any nicer than the BH Marriott which is far more reasonable but doesn't have as nice a feel.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
They've renovated so the hard product is improved. Pool area is nice but bar closes stupid early. Plat breakfast is excellent. The location is nice and Bazar can't be beat.

On the downside, I've not been happy with some issues the past couple of stays. Points haven't posted and I don't get the bill so I have to call. I was charged for the platinum breakfast the last two stays. If I hadn't called, it would just be another charge on my card. Then the last two stays they didn't upgrade me and even tried to sell me an upgrade for $200 since it wasn't a "standard" suite. Seems like they may have decided to follow the legacy SPG "standard" game which has not been my experience in early stays.

So ... deciding whether I'll keep staying there. The Edition opens soon. The overall property feel of the SLS is excellent. Not sure, however, the rooms are any nicer than the BH Marriott which is far more reasonable but doesn't have as nice a feel.
This is terrific feedback - thanks so much!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.