Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Will be travelling to LA sometimes in August for at least 5 nights.
Never been to LA ... so will definitely going to those tourist area.

I wonder if its worth to get hotel that near Metro station ... like W Hollywood, Sheraton Grand, or Westin Bonaventure (or if added with Marriott offering, JW Marriott/ Ritz Carlton)

And also how convenient it is to travel around in LA with public transport ?
Hoping to be able to travel with public transport or even taxi as I prefer not to drive around in an unfamiliar city
Please do rent a car.. It's pretty not safe travel with public transportation in LA. Bus is usually fine but NEVER subway..
Old May 9, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by scienm
Please do rent a car.. It's pretty not safe travel with public transportation in LA. Bus is usually fine but NEVER subway..
That is not true. Public transportation is fine--if it goes to where you want need to without too many changes. The only draw back is that LA is very large and it can take awhile to get from place to place. The new street car line from Santa Monica to downtown does help to get long distances across town. You can always take Uber/Lyft from the nearest stop.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Any recent experiences from W "Beverly Hills"? I realise that it's not actually in Beverly Hills but wondering what the hotel is like otherwise. People on Tripadvisor seem to have very mixed reviews. I'm a SPG Plat if it matters. We have a good rate $199+tax which feels like a good deal for a W.
It has been a mixed bag lately. The rooms themselves are nicely decorated. Management is hit or miss. Front desk said they only normally do one category upgrades--which is/should not be/hasn't been true in the past. Check in through the app has been down for many many months so if you check in through the app and indicate your arrival and departure time, it will go nowhere. Lately they also haven't been looking at the list of Platinums arriving for the day and preblocking rooms. Used to always get a Fantastic Suite at this property--now it is up to the whims of the person checking you in--and at least on weekends, that means you'd be lucky to get one. Checked in this past weekend and a half hour after checking in the cleaning staff came by to clean the room. They didn't have the proper list as to which rooms were already ready and which still needed to be cleaned. There is a lot of potential for this place but don't know if it is a weekend staffing issue or management in general but there are little things which have been off my last few visits.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is not true. Public transportation is fine--if it goes to where you want need to without too many changes. The only draw back is that LA is very large and it can take awhile to get from place to place. The new street car line from Santa Monica to downtown does help to get long distances across town. You can always take Uber/Lyft from the nearest stop.
I can't agree with you. I've been LA for 11 years and I faced some situations myself when I was in public transportation. As I said, bus is usually fine but I'd rather not to take subway.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
It has been a mixed bag lately. The rooms themselves are nicely decorated. Management is hit or miss. Front desk said they only normally do one category upgrades--which is/should not be/hasn't been true in the past. Check in through the app has been down for many many months so if you check in through the app and indicate your arrival and departure time, it will go nowhere. Lately they also haven't been looking at the list of Platinums arriving for the day and preblocking rooms. Used to always get a Fantastic Suite at this property--now it is up to the whims of the person checking you in--and at least on weekends, that means you'd be lucky to get one. Checked in this past weekend and a half hour after checking in the cleaning staff came by to clean the room. They didn't have the proper list as to which rooms were already ready and which still needed to be cleaned. There is a lot of potential for this place but don't know if it is a weekend staffing issue or management in general but there are little things which have been off my last few visits.
Ok... been reading some really mixed things about the W. Dirty rooms, bad service, feels kinda meh going in. Got what I think is a great rate for June at Sheraton San Gabriel at $120/night which I might do instead. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Ok... been reading some really mixed things about the W. Dirty rooms, bad service, feels kinda meh going in. Got what I think is a great rate for June at Sheraton San Gabriel at $120/night which I might do instead. Thanks!
In LA, location is key. San Gabriel and Westwood are far apart and at peak traffic times, you can spent a lot of your time there trying to get to your destination. Pick a place that you can afford in the area you want to be. Getting a cheaper rate but spending half your time in transit to the area you want to be in is not a great trade off in my book. Sometimes, it even makes sense to move hotels if you are doing things in totally different areas and don't want to keep going back and forth.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:00 am

I agree on safety. I spend about half of my U.S. time in Los Angeles (plus Pasadena and nearby Orange County.) Thirty-five years, eighteen or twenty weeks a year, twice a day on public transportation. I can't say that I wanted to go out for a beer with everyone who ever sat next to me on the bus - some appeared to have had plenty of beers without me already - but safety has never concerned me. I should probably qualify that a little: Skid Row (Broadway, Spring, Los Angeles, Main, east of DTLA) used to be rough, but it's now pretty benign, unless upwardly mobile millennials scare you. Sure the winos are still there, but the mean toughs, not really. Bus crime is mostly sneaking on through the back door (hey, don't judge me!) Subway undesirables board the Blue Line in downtown or a little south and ride toward Long Beach. Some look pretty menacing, but, if you ride the New York subway, it's no different. Keep your wits about you, don't be diddling with your iPhone and don't stare. You're good.

I should say that I am assuming some meaningful American big-city experience.
Suggested reading on fashion

With respect to the downtown hotels... For about five years, I was spending 100 nights a year in the Bonaventure. Upgrades were a regular thing. I didn't care about breakfast, but, the times I experienced it, it was fine. Cold buffet - fruit/cereal as Platinum amenity. When the Sheraton finished its upgrade, I shifted some business there. The Club was fine until the Marriott merger. Marriott doesn't have many rooms downtown, and the JW can be pricey, so lots of people with MR status arrived. Despite the nice Sheraton gym, Club newspapers and nice renovation, I've retreated.

I found a cheaper hotel, out in Little Tokyo - kind of a long walk to the center of town, but, for my employer, $10 is $10. It's fine, but probably not where you want to be, especially if you're interested in some points program.

The Sheraton Pasadena is improved after recent renovation, with a nice Club (limited food/drink offerings). I can't claim status has really done anything for me there, pre- or post-reno. Nice neighborhood.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 10, 2018 at 9:38 am
Old May 10, 2018, 9:07 am

deleted

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 10, 2018 at 9:08 am Reason: duplicate
Old May 10, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Marriott doesn't have many rooms downtown, and the JW can be pricey, so lots of people with MR status arrived.
Probably because the JW sucks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Follow up: I couldn't get excited about either of the downtown properties. Booked the Ritz on points - 80k/night for a junior suite with club access.
How did you book this junior suite with club access at the LA RC?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Any recommended Hotels for first timer to Los Angeles? Will only be there for a couple of days as a stopover.

Currently looking at Sheraton Grand since it's pretty central I guess? Looking at a points stay. I'm not exactly sure what to do there, I guess just see the sights and do what tourists do?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Going back for the third time to LA in 2 months for business.
Previous stays I was located in the W Westwood, which was not bad at all and I am considering going back there.
But on the other hand I am thinking I should explore different neighbourhoods.
My business is outside of LA, but since I spend the weekend, I prefer to stay in a nice neighbourhood with easy access to restaurants and nightlife.

I am considering Le Meridien in Santa Monica or perhaps one of the Marriott hotels in Venice, Ritz or Marriott.
Also the SLS is appealing... Basically have been hesitating to book anything for the past week.
Hoping for some advice from you guys here. Any suggestions, or should I stay to what I know and had relatively good experience?
I have a car and perhaps I should mention that not only the quality of the hotel is important, location is perhaps more important to me.

Last edited by Remcod; Jan 26, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
Any suggestions at LAX, have stayed at Four Points in the past, not impressed. 2 stays in May, 1 night each. Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Remcod
Going back for the third time to LA in 2 months for business.
Previous stays I was located in the W Westwood, which was not bad at all and I am considering going back there.
But on the other hand I am thinking I should explore different neighbourhoods.
My business is outside of LA, but since I spend the weekend, I prefer to stay in a nice neighbourhood with easy access to restaurants and nightlife.

I am considering Le Meridien in Santa Monica or perhaps one of the Marriott hotels in Venice, Ritz or Marriott.
Also the SLS is appealing... Basically have been hesitating to book anything for the past week.
Hoping for some advice from you guys here. Any suggestions, or should I stay to what I know and had relatively good experience?
I have a car and perhaps I should mention that not only the quality of the hotel is important, location is perhaps more important to me.
My general preferences in LA are the W Westwood, the SLS, the JW Santa Monica, and the Marriott Beverly Hills. Sometimes I'll stay at the JW LA Live as well but like the other four better.

That being said, I had a somewhat disappointing stay at the SLS. On one hand, I like the renovations, they have a small but fun rooftop pool area, the platinum breakfast is very good, and the location is good. On the other hand, I was taken aback by the fact they had available ordinary suites but wanted a $200 upcharge, even though I'm PPE+A and a repeat guest.

I like the W Westwood but haven't really explored around the neighborhood. Are there any good restaurant/bars in walking distance?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
My general preferences in LA are the W Westwood, the SLS, the JW Santa Monica, and the Marriott Beverly Hills. Sometimes I'll stay at the JW LA Live as well but like the other four better.

That being said, I had a somewhat disappointing stay at the SLS. On one hand, I like the renovations, they have a small but fun rooftop pool area, the platinum breakfast is very good, and the location is good. On the other hand, I was taken aback by the fact they had available ordinary suites but wanted a $200 upcharge, even though I'm PPE+A and a repeat guest.

I like the W Westwood but haven't really explored around the neighborhood. Are there any good restaurant/bars in walking distance?
There are some restaurants, but for good ones you need to drive anyway. Nearby there are some breakfast places but nothing spectacular. And thats exactly why I would consider staying elsewhere, too have walkable options. I hear Santa Monica is quite nice, but how is the area at night? And what about the SLS, I see it is near Beverly Grove and not really Beverly Hills, could you say it is a nice neighbourhood with good options for dinner and drinks nearby, walkable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.