Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Hotel Website: JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort and Spa

Daily resort fee of USD 30 added to rate includes self-parking, mini-golf, spa fitness center, golf bag storage and more

resort fee (regularly $30; includes self-parking) for Silver is $25, Gold is $20 and for Platinum it's $15

Report in Jan 2014 that the Japanese restaurant offers an early-bird special from Sunday to Thursday until 6PM, which can save substantially on meal costs there.
Print Wikipost

Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
'Biggest Loser' comes to JW Marriott in Palm Desert

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...oser/74423716/

Excerpt:

"Resorts are not all about lounging by the pool.

Those wanting to rejigger their health and wellness can now look to the JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort and Spa for a week of serious – but fun -- “bootcamp” like training. The JW Marriott in Palm Desert has been named the latest NBC Biggest Loser Resort, making it the only Biggest Loser Resort in western North America.

The Biggest Loser team selected JW Marriott Desert Springs as the perfect location for visitors from California, Arizona, Pacific Northwest, and the Southwest. The partnership is set to go on through at least 2017 and is expected to bring thousands of new visitors to Palm Desert. The weight-loss and wellness program is inspired by the eponymous NBC television show, which returns in 2016 for a 17th season.

The week-long program can accommodate up to 40 participants. Guests may participate in a variety of seven-day package options starting at $2,995 for a single room and $2,445 per person for a double room, each of which may be customized for corporate team building (pricing does not include tax)."
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Strangely I see no mention of a lounge here or breakfast benefit for Gold/Plats. I take it these don't exist here?

If that's the case I'm thinking +$29 for breakfast included rate makes sense.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Strangely I see no mention of a lounge here or breakfast benefit for Gold/Plats. I take it these don't exist here?

If that's the case I'm thinking +$29 for breakfast included rate makes sense.
It's a resort so no free brekkie or lounge.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:48 pm

check your bill alert

stayed 2 nights on Travelzoo voucher deal 204 for signature room, $15 resort fee and $50 credit per night. unfortunately the front desk charged me for the voucher price on one of the nights instead of crediting me. although my bill was wacky and I went to the desk numerous times, I did not discover what the real issue was until I returned home. Contacting accounting and was told I would be credited, but here it is 10 days later, no results. Also contacted TZ, and my CC company. CHECK your bill at this hotel!!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Thinking about staying here again and wondering if anyone has any updates on what a Platinum can expect, since it has been awhile and I am guessing things may have changed... Wondering about the resort fee, parking, spa access, or anything else helpful, so if anyone has stayed recently, please share your experience! Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:18 pm

https://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...roo/338587002/

Excerpt:

"JW Marriott Desert Springs resort in Palm Desert is about to undergo a $50 million-plus top-to-bottom “reinvention” where each of the 884 guest rooms will be stripped bare for new furnishings, carpet and wallpaper and bathrooms expanded. The resort will remain open throughout construction, which is expected to get underway in June beginning with the guest rooms and lobby area. Work will be done in sections, with at least 20 rooms fully under construction at any given time, he said. “It shouldn’t be disruptive to guests,” Tabler said. The second phase will include banquet and meeting rooms and food and beverage outlets – including the Starbucks in the lobby area – and spa. A lazy river may be added to the lake. The entire project is expected to take two years to complete."
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:28 pm

Bumping this thread up to see if anyone has had a recent stay and can advise on anything not mentioned on the website including:
  • Are room upgrades typical for Platinum Elites?
  • $38 resort fee includes self-parking, but spa access as well? If not, is there a day pass for the spa facilities?
  • Since this is a JW resort, Plat welcome gift is 1k points or breakfast in the restaurant?
  • Since there is no lounge, breakfast or 750 points?
And sorry if this is not the right place, but how does this property compare to the Ritz Rancho Mirage?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I have not been there since the switch to Marriott Bonvoy and breakfast offered at resorts.

As a Platinum, I have always been upgraded. At least to a room with a much better view and once to a large suite. The resort fee does include parking, but not access to the spa. As a Platinum member, one of the benefits was free spa access. I think they also reduced the resort fee in half. I do not know if the benefits are still offered and am curious about the breakfast option. Their restaurant for breakfast is a large well-done buffet so doubt they would offer that. Probably more in the line with offering something at the Starbucks in the lobby. I may be there the end of the month so if you find out anything would like to know.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by holocker
I have not been there since the switch to Marriott Bonvoy and breakfast offered at resorts.

As a Platinum, I have always been upgraded. At least to a room with a much better view and once to a large suite. The resort fee does include parking, but not access to the spa. As a Platinum member, one of the benefits was free spa access. I think they also reduced the resort fee in half. I do not know if the benefits are still offered and am curious about the breakfast option. Their restaurant for breakfast is a large well-done buffet so doubt they would offer that. Probably more in the line with offering something at the Starbucks in the lobby. I may be there the end of the month so if you find out anything would like to know.
Please let us know if you made the stay. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by hindolio
Please let us know if you made the stay. Thanks!
I stayed there the weekend before last as a Titanium member for a 2 night paid stay with my partner.

The resort fee fee was reduced and even though we had an advanced payment through Marriott’s buggy site that charged the full resort fee they credited us the difference.

You get get access to the continental (cold) buffet for free as Platinum but the weekend we were there the hotel was completely booked so we did a lot of waiting for the tables. Once seated you could upgrade to the hot buffet for $10 more. Essentially the hotel paid for ~$25 of breakfast per person. If we went over we’d pay the difference.

You also get access to the spa’s sauna and pools as Tiranium.

The resort fee included WiFi and self parking.

Our room was a recently renovated one but I don’t think it was an upgrade other than the fact it was renovated. The hotel is showing its age so the renovation is definitely a welcome bit.

All in all a great hotel - my chief complaint if any is how busy it was. Every check in with the front desk or concierge was a ~15-20 minute wait.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Just completed a 2 night stay. Really liked the resort. Titanium upgrade was to a renovated room with a good view (although across the roof of the spa). Not quite sure about the room renovations - some very nice furniture and excellent bathroom but one wall was completely blank. This may be because the room was not the standard shape (bed on wall of exterior corridor). The door handle to the outside balcony was not properly fixed so attention to detail on the work obviously isn’t always great. There are still a number of floors being worked on (and a number not even started) but this wasn’t that noticeable.

As mentioned in previous post, resort fee was reduced to $22, breakfast is restricted to continental buffet (which was excellent) or $10 upgrade (came to just over $12 with tax and auto-gratuity) to get the full cooked buffet including made to order omelettes/eggs benedict. Food/drink prices are otherwise quite expensive but as to be expected in a resort.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:00 pm

Any ideas if all rooms are being renovated here? Booking for Stagecoach, but worried about getting a room last updated in 2011. Ritz rooms look much nicer, but Ritz is not on the Stagecoach shuttle.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:50 pm

Just finished a two night stay via points. Reduced resort fee by $5 for titanium elite. Provided a nice mountain view mid hotel on 7th floor.
Reno's continue as advertised. Drilling noise constant on second day 8 am - 6 pm....nothing on first day.
Cont Breakfast bogey on folio..After being reassured by server all was correct, had to have an adjustment made at checkout to rectify overcharge.
Highly recommend the food at Cork Tree, just down the street. OUTSTANDING MEAL
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Was considering a stay in 2020 but I don't want to be here if there is noise 8-6pm. Normally this would not matter much for a business trip as I'm rarely in the room. But I like to sleep late at resorts, and maybe rest mid-afternoon. Hammering doesn't work at all.

Do they still have the good sushi restaurant here?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:31 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Had a great 1 night stay here on Monday. Drive down from Long Beach area, took the Palms to Pines road for spectacular views.

Allowed to check in early, around 2 PM 5th floor, main building.

As Golds we got spa access which we took advantage of, using the lockers and robes and hot tub. That, plus the parking and mini golf made us feel like we got the Resort Fee value of $38, probably the first time ever.

Room wasn't defeathered upon checkin, they brought that up and said someone would be right up. 5 minutes later two members from housekeeping came up to change comforter and pillows.

Stay was excellent in every way, although the gym is a bit inconveniently located

Last edited by Out of my Element; Nov 29, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.