Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Hotel email address:
lemeridien dot kualalumpur at lemeridien dot com
reservations dot lmkl at lemeridien dot com
supervisor dot lmkl at lemeridien dot com

General Manager email address:
michael dot delargy at lemeridien dot com

LAUNDRY (FEB 29 2020)
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks for the update - sad but not surprising given how low the rates were for quite a while. The news about suite ug is also of importance to me - was thinking of doing a KL run from BKK in a few months in part b/c of how well I was treated here (also lt titanium with many stays here).
I'll be interested in your stay at the Majestic - status recog was ? there - had to involve a high level manager a few times b/c front desk INSISTED that ug was only 1 level - eventually sorted out but still issues on my next stay. The old wing is definitely old, but has a charm and place feeling that the newer wing doesn't have -each has a charm. The pool out by the road (near the "lounge" - which if open you may have to fight to get access - it is minimal - not much food and limited drinks - nothing like LM) was really nice for me b/c it was generally warm - not in buildings shadows - unlike their other one and the LM pool which I always found chilly (YMMV).

Originally Posted by HollyGlen
I have been staying here for a week a month since March 2022, and thought I should update how things are at LMKL post-Covid.

The bad news, like in most hotels anywhere, is that there is no good news. The Italian restaurant Favola remains closed, the pool closes at 7pm, prices have shot back up to near pre-Covid levels and a lot of functions are now being staffed with fresh faces (albeit I still recognise a lot of the old faces at reception). The plentiful breakfast buffet is back to full-strength, but the signature lemongrass crêpe with mushrooms has changed recipe and is now just a hot, oily mess.

Two main things bug me. First of all, the Lounge, which used to be one of the most generous offerings in the Bonvoy system, has diminished greatly. The hot buffet has been replaced with a salad and cold vegetable bar (LMKL veterans may remember there was a salad bar on the side anyway), and the live noodle station, dimsum and pastry oven are gone. There is now a daily live station serving three warm appetisers, but it tastes pretty ordinary to me. I can't comment on the quality of the free-flow alcohol as I never drank it even pre-Covid.

Secondly, suite upgrades. I stayed many, many nights at LMKL prior to Covid, and would have qualified for Titanium for many years just based on LMKL nights alone. The loyalty was reciprocated, and I had an near-100% suite upgrade rate. Post-Covid, it has dipped below 25%, and it is incredibly disheartening because the standard rooms at LMKL are the tiniest of any Bonvoy hotel in KL and lack a proper workstation / desk. I understand that many of the suites are out of commission and therefore out of inventory, which goes some way to explaining the discrepancy but perhaps not all of it.

I am going to explore the Majestic Hotel, Autograph Collection (down the road from LMKL) in a couple of months and will report back.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks for the update - sad but not surprising given how low the rates were for quite a while. The news about suite ug is also of importance to me - was thinking of doing a KL run from BKK in a few months in part b/c of how well I was treated here (also lt titanium with many stays here).
I'll be interested in your stay at the Majestic - status recog was ? there - had to involve a high level manager a few times b/c front desk INSISTED that ug was only 1 level - eventually sorted out but still issues on my next stay. The old wing is definitely old, but has a charm and place feeling that the newer wing doesn't have -each has a charm. The pool out by the road (near the "lounge" - which if open you may have to fight to get access - it is minimal - not much food and limited drinks - nothing like LM) was really nice for me b/c it was generally warm - not in buildings shadows - unlike their other one and the LM pool which I always found chilly (YMMV).
I tried to make October bookings today...LMKL rates are now RM575++ for a basic room, which is significantly higher than it was pre-Covid. I nailed down a Majestic corporate rate last week for 40% less; LMKL politely declined to give me a corporate rate in early July and asked me to wait until September when things had settled down. I hate to say it but LMKL may be losing a lot of my business in future if the difference is going to be RM 225++ a night!

I had the conversation today with a very senior person in sales at Majestic, and they gave me the same line you heard about the one category upgrade. I said that in my view, under the Marriott T+Cs, Titaniums were entitled to Standard Suites, but I didn't think Junior Suites (one level up from the basic Deluxe Room) were it because they aren't really suites as such, and the next category up is the Grand Suite (only the Premier Suites sit above that). They feigned polite and interested surprise, but I think that was just Malaysian courtesy. In any event, they have only 11 Grand Suites in the inventory, so the odds will not be good anyway.
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:35 pm

Wow, yes checked for early Dec and rates are about 50% more than pre-covid. So they'll be missing (discretionary) revenue from me as well - might have paid a bit more when everything (benefits) were in full swing, but not a chance to pay higher rate when lounge and ug are likely not in play
Majestic just won't play by the rules (sad) that even after extensive conversations with multiple higher status holders they just are intransigent.
Well, it's not like there is a shortage of places to stay - esp. when I'm not tied to being "bonvoyed", but still very sad about the staff who became friends and the good memories I have of LMKL.

Originally Posted by HollyGlen
I tried to make October bookings today...LMKL rates are now RM575++ for a basic room, which is significantly higher than it was pre-Covid. I nailed down a Majestic corporate rate last week for 40% less; LMKL politely declined to give me a corporate rate in early July and asked me to wait until September when things had settled down. I hate to say it but LMKL may be losing a lot of my business in future if the difference is going to be RM 225++ a night!

I had the conversation today with a very senior person in sales at Majestic, and they gave me the same line you heard about the one category upgrade. I said that in my view, under the Marriott T+Cs, Titaniums were entitled to Standard Suites, but I didn't think Junior Suites (one level up from the basic Deluxe Room) were it because they aren't really suites as such, and the next category up is the Grand Suite (only the Premier Suites sit above that). They feigned polite and interested surprise, but I think that was just Malaysian courtesy. In any event, they have only 11 Grand Suites in the inventory, so the odds will not be good anyway.
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: hahaha
No surprise, and even though I thought I could be the exception, the one-category upgrade limit policy is still in effect. No latitude. At least three suites on sale over the course of my stay. With regrets, I wish I had chosen the Westin instead. Maybe the rest of the stay will improve!

Suite upgrades usually aren't important to me, but my sister was coming in and I wanted to impress her, and failing to heed all warnings of previous posters above, I ended up booking this property! lol

I'll just head over to the Westin next time or even try my luck with the new Hiltons being announced opening next year
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
No surprise, and even though I thought I could be the exception, the one-category upgrade limit policy is still in effect. No latitude. At least three suites on sale over the course of my stay. With regrets, I wish I had chosen the Westin instead. Maybe the rest of the stay will improve!

Suite upgrades usually aren't important to me, but my sister was coming in and I wanted to impress her, and failing to heed all warnings of previous posters above, I ended up booking this property! lol

I'll just head over to the Westin next time or even try my luck with the new Hiltons being announced opening next year
Are you at the Meridien or the Majestic, asovse1 ?
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:43 am

Le Méridien! Did I confuse the two?? I've been extensively reading all KL threads (to try and go for the upgrade) and may have crossed the wires.

Anyway I've finished checking in and there's no wiggle room on the policy. Even the loyalty manager checked me in, so it seemed as if that role, at face value, dictated absolute rule.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:31 pm

Le Méridien! Did I confuse the two?? I've been extensively reading all KL threads (to try and go for the upgrade) and may have crossed the wires.

Anyway I've finished checking in and there's no wiggle room on the policy. Even the loyalty manager checked me in, so it seemed as if that role, at face value, dictated absolute rule.
Wow - I think the reason the question was asked is that the Majestic had been a problem with ug for a long time. I am very sad - in more stays than I can count I don't think I was ever not ug to a suite once I reached the appropriate level.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:05 pm

The Meridien has always been very strict on suite upgrades to guests who were not regulars. There isn't a one-category upgrade policy as is made clear at the Majestic, but they have always guarded their suites jealously, even more so now as they try very hard to sell suites last minute to maximise revenue. I recall a few American guests who went full DYKWIA at the staff as a result, including one guy a few years back who claimed to know Arne and Bill Marriott!

But I think that's a big part of why @estnet and I are feeling a bit aggrieved. Having given them hundreds of nights and built up relationships with so many of the staff, we are suddenly back to square one with regards to elite recognition. I did get a suite this week, though, ha ha.
estnet and asovse1 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:57 pm

Thanks to you both for your input, I definitely weighed your opinions heavily when I was browsing all of the KL hotel threads, especially your post-lockdown updates.
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Hi I am thinking about stay at this hotel for a week. I’m platinum just wanted to know how it is lately after Covid.
thanks
Old Oct 14, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robnc35
Hi I am thinking about stay at this hotel for a week. I’m platinum just wanted to know how it is lately after Covid.
thanks
It’s not as good as it was before Covid. Lounge isn’t any good, breakfast is not bad downstairs, location is boring. Pool and gym are both still top notch but I think currently there are better Bonvoy properties in KL.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:30 am

Thanks for the input. Please let me know where you might stay for a week in KL. Im there for 7 nights.Thanks for the reply
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It’s not as good as it was before Covid. Lounge isn’t any good, breakfast is not bad downstairs, location is boring. Pool and gym are both still top notch but I think currently there are better Bonvoy properties in KL.
How has the lounge changed? What is different about breakfast?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:20 am

Is JW any good? Im looking for a place with a decent executive lounge and room.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:57 pm

Although I scored a suite many times at the LeM, my last stay was before the pandemic. Have another KL trip coming up later this month and I was concerned to read up thread that their suite inventory has shrunk, leading to fewer upgrades. The lounge going downhill was also disappointing. Which other Marriott hotel in KL would you suggest, without busting the bank. Both a good lounge as well as an upgrade are important. I am a Titanium, BTW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.