Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:05 am

Programs: Welfare
Originally Posted by singtx
Any recent reviews? Staying at the Grant and here. Is breakfast and drinks still offered. Thanks!

-singtx
Both are still offered. The coupons have been useless though on my last 2 times staying there as the club room had no employee watching it so basically all the beer, wine or sodas you wanted were free. The bartender took the drink coupons for mixed drinks. I live in SAN but a few times the last few months a lady friend and I have stayed at the property for mini getaways because of special prices they have been running.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:15 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I was under the impression that the alcohol in the "lounge" here was complimentary period (as it was the single time I stayed here) and the additional coupon was for if you wanted additional drinks outside of the lounge hours.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: Welfare
That's basically the way they seem to run it here. I have never had a issue with the club room or the bartender and the staff was really good on keeping the snacks replenished in the club room. On my last stay a couple of flight crews came in and were going through the free snacks (basically cheese, crackers, fruit) fairly quickly and the attendant was quick to replace everything.

The rooms are a little aged but overall all my stays on the property have been really good with some really good staff. The bar area is pretty laid back and the food is pretty good. Had some really good potato skins there last stay which the manager ended up comping us for. The bar area was packed with people coming in after an event at the attached Symphony Hall and the manager made sure the actual hotel guests in the bar got taken care of.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Just finished a 4 night stay here and enjoyed it.The rooms are dated and not really large suites but comfortable enough.We were allowed to check in at 1030.We had tickets for the Padres at 1730 but the game was bought forward to 1330 sothis was appreciated.Given coupons for breakfast but not for drinks.
The real positive were the staff.By this morning the breakfast staff welcomed me and later my wife by name.All staff we interacted with were happy.A couple of minor problems that were fixed promptly.The rate was less than half of other downtown SPG properties so we felt it very good value.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
Good stay

Similar to Drron, we had a good stay here. It was the least expensive of the downtown properties so stayed here for a quick night after going to the theatre.

Room was fine for our needs (bedroom, living room, kitchen area), and there was a lounge area set aside in the dining room with peanuts, spring rolls, wine, and beer. Breakfast was a bit diapointing until the omellete - well worth ordering (and included for plats).

Overall, the property was a bit aged, but I wouldn't say it was rundown or lacked maintenance. However, nothing to keep me coming here instead of one of the other spots around downtown.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Would just like to add that this was a nice property for a quick one-night stay. We were in town for a theater performance in Balboa Park and getting there was a snap.

No Plat upgrade as the hotel was full, but did get a corner room on a lower floor. Smallish suite, but nice layout and everything was in good shape. Despite no upgrade, there was good plat recognition from the front desk re plat amenity and handing out drink and breakfast and drink coupons. Lounge is pretty non-existent and appetizers were disappointing, but buffet breakfast was very nice. Lots of families there on a summer weekend, as you can imagine.

While it's far from a "special treat" type of place, it was imminently practical for our stay.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:37 am

Just stayed 3 nights

Stayed here three nights on the Amex buy 2, get 1 free special. Not a bad hotel in a decent location. Parking is $23 a night to self-park, and you kind of need to do it, unless you are just staying a sunday night and are leaving early in the morning. Hotel check-in was quick and the room was your normal suite. Only big issue was the shower was leaking, and leaking bad. Non-stop dripping stream of water coming down. we just closed the door and it didn't bother us. Was disappointed that I am Gold and didn't even get put on the "preferred guest" floors, which were the top floors. Maybe hotel was booked..not sure...but I checked in at 3:30pm, so I would think they had rooms available. This hotel offered 500 points to turn down maid service per night...which i did for an extra 1,000 points. The first 500 have already posted. Didn't spend any other time in the hotel other than sleeping, so didn't use the bar or restaurant. As others have said, nothing about this hotel would keep me from coming back.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Happy with our 6 night stay

Just got back from a very nice 6 night stay at this property.

We have a 3 year-old, so getting a suite with a separate bedroom is important to us. We used Starpoints for this stay.

On the day of arrival, I received an updated confirmation email, showing we had been put on the club level. I was pleasantly surprised as I have never had status with SPG, though I do have the Amex card. The email also indicated access to the lounge, free internet, and breakfast buffet for 2.

At check in, the associate indicated that they had intended to move us to a room on the club floor, but that the email indicating all of the other perks associated with it was a mistake. However, after seeing the confirm and discussing it with her manager, they went ahead and have us lounge access and breakfast coupons, and we also got the free internet. I realize that it was an honest mistake but I think they did the right thing by honoring the details of the confirm email.

The suite itself was average, but clean and comfortable, and the door between the living rm and bedroom was perfect for our needs.

Breakfast buffet was pretty decent, though after 6 days the rotation was starting to get old (not their fault - we had a long stay). CLub lounge was comfortable with a nice spread of apps in the evenings.

Overall, staff was very pleasant and easy to deal with. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend the property to anyone with a need for a suite.

Location is not as nice as being down at the harbor, but the neighborhood is safe, and it is a 5 minute walk to the Trolley. Easy access to the Zoo/Balboa Park, and the I-5.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:58 pm

Opinion about Sheraton Symphony Hall in San Diego

Hey folks,

I will be staying at the Sheraton Symphony Hall in San Diego in April and was wondering if anyone has feedback from their stay at this hotel. I've read the reviews on TripAdvisor and that has made me wonder if I should reconsider my choice and look at some other properties. If you can share your experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: IC RA
Haven't read any of the reviews myself. But if you're looking for a hotel to be able to walk around the Gaslamp or any other downtown area then it's probably one of the worst choices. Somewhat secluded and an uphill walk when returning from the Gaslamp area. What is the purpose of your trip? That would help in providing suggestions.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Starwood Hotels Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
HariBlue108, now that this has been moved to the dedicated Starwood forum, there are specific threads here reviewing many of the specific hotels. Check out the one on the San Diego Symphony Hall Sheraton here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-4.html
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
HariBlue108, now that this has been moved to the dedicated Starwood forum, there are specific threads here reviewing many of the specific hotels. Check out the one on the San Diego Symphony Hall Sheraton here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-4.html
Thanks, my bad, I didn't perform a search for the hotel before posting my question.

Cheers!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Investor 11
Haven't read any of the reviews myself. But if you're looking for a hotel to be able to walk around the Gaslamp or any other downtown area then it's probably one of the worst choices. Somewhat secluded and an uphill walk when returning from the Gaslamp area. What is the purpose of your trip? That would help in providing suggestions.
Its business + pleasure. Will be at a conference for most of the time, but I will have the weekend prior to and after the conference for sightseeing. Unfortunately the W, Westin and Westin in Gaslamp are all unavailable for my dates of stay. Any suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I like the hotel - I find it close enough to the Gaslamp to be an easy walk - it isn't around the corner - but walkable.

My only complaint about this hotel is the parking garage - it has a really narrow winding drive up the building until you get to the parking spots. Have to be really careful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.