Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:17 pm

how is the walk to petco park? i know that there are a number of hotels closer but the prepaid weekend rate here is pretty amazing. im heading to three games at petco but would rather not drive and worry about parking. google maps says its about 1 mile, is it a decent walk though? hills etc? thanks....
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ethang801
how is the walk to petco park? i know that there are a number of hotels closer but the prepaid weekend rate here is pretty amazing. im heading to three games at petco but would rather not drive and worry about parking. google maps says its about 1 mile, is it a decent walk though? hills etc? thanks....
It's a nice walk partway downhill from the hotel to the baseball park (the downhill part is close to the hotel). I have never been to the park, but this is my favorite hotel to use when I go to Comic-Con. Walking back is, of course, partway uphill, but if you are in good shape (or even marginal shape) you should be fine.
Old May 22, 2009, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Transportation

Anyone know if this place has:

1. a complimentary airport shuttle
2. if not, what are cost effective alternatives (just small carry on for me) to/from the airport?
Old May 22, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

2. if not, what are cost effective alternatives (just small carry on for me) to/from the airport?
No they don't, only the Four points and the Sheraton Marina have a shuttle.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

The only downtown Starwood property with airport shuttle is Westin San Diego, which I highly recommend.

The 992 airport flyer runs every 15 minutes on Broadway. The route starts at Horton Plaza, which wouldn't take you that long to walk from Sheraton Suites. The fare is $2.25, or day-pass for $4 if you wish to also go elsewhere around town.
Old May 23, 2009, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thanks guys

thats what I was looking for
Old May 26, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethang801
The walk is about 3/4 mile, straight down either 7th or 8th St. The only part that involves a significant hill is the last block on the trip back. If that's an issue, supposedly you can access the parking garage via the Symphony entrance on "B" Street, then cross over to the hotel access elevator, skipping the hill in the process. Ask the parking guys or the concierge. We walked both ways to/from Petco with 8-9 year old kids in tow, it's really not a bad walk.

We just did a two-night stay over the weekend. We were "upgraded" to a club floor (the top/27th floor) corner room, though the club (as mentioned) is actually attached to the restaurant on 12. The room itself wasn't actually any bigger or better. The room itself was clean and in good shape.

We were gone all day on Saturday and were surprised that there had been no housekeeping at all. The front desk sent some towels up upon request. No explanation of what happened.

They made a big deal at check-in about Platinum/Club Level upgrades to free buffet breakfast Sat/Sun and a free beer/wine at the bar daily, but our room rate already included breakfast.

The self-parking situation is as big an adventure as advertised, and whomever designed that 7-story corkscrew ramp should be sentenced to drive it 20x/day for life. They do have valet available on the A street side. I would probably do that next time.

The indoor pool on the 12th floor was a pleasant surprise--large, warm and clean. The hot tub is on the small side. There's skylights and picture windows, so it's not at all cave-like like some indoor high-rise pools. While in there we noticed them wiping/sanitizing the gym equipment daily--a big ^^ there.

Bottom line, a decent property; with friendly, helpful staff. We like King + sofa bed rooms (instead of dealing with rollaways), which didn't seem to available at the other downtown SD properties. If you can get a good rate, it's worth checking out. If you're not traveling with kids or want to be closer to the downtown SD nightlife, you might want to look elsewhere.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by bbison
The walk is about 3/4 mile, straight down either 7th or 8th St. The only part that involves a significant hill is the last block on the trip back. If that's an issue, supposedly you can access the parking garage via the Symphony entrance on "B" Street, then cross over to the hotel access elevator, skipping the hill in the process. Ask the parking guys or the concierge. We walked both ways to/from Petco with 8-9 year old kids in tow, it's really not a bad walk.

We just did a two-night stay over the weekend. We were "upgraded" to a club floor (the top/27th floor) corner room, though the club (as mentioned) is actually attached to the restaurant on 12. The room itself wasn't actually any bigger or better. The room itself was clean and in good shape.

We were gone all day on Saturday and were surprised that there had been no housekeeping at all. The front desk sent some towels up upon request. No explanation of what happened.

They made a big deal at check-in about Platinum/Club Level upgrades to free buffet breakfast Sat/Sun and a free beer/wine at the bar daily, but our room rate already included breakfast.

The self-parking situation is as big an adventure as advertised, and whomever designed that 7-story corkscrew ramp should be sentenced to drive it 20x/day for life. They do have valet available on the A street side. I would probably do that next time.

The indoor pool on the 12th floor was a pleasant surprise--large, warm and clean. The hot tub is on the small side. There's skylights and picture windows, so it's not at all cave-like like some indoor high-rise pools. While in there we noticed them wiping/sanitizing the gym equipment daily--a big ^^ there.

Bottom line, a decent property; with friendly, helpful staff. We like King + sofa bed rooms (instead of dealing with rollaways), which didn't seem to available at the other downtown SD properties. If you can get a good rate, it's worth checking out. If you're not traveling with kids or want to be closer to the downtown SD nightlife, you might want to look elsewhere.
I just stayed at Sheraton Suites San Diego and had the same experience as bbison above. The only thing i would add is that valet parking is only $4 more per day than self-parking. We walked to Petco easy walk during the day but took a $5 cab ride back at night.

1flyer1
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: Welfare
Anyone stay here in the last month or so that has anything to report? Lady friend and I are going here for a mini vacation this weekend even though we live in town. They are having a $99 a night special right now.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:49 am

Are there any meter parking or parking lot nearby that I can take advantage of?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:14 pm

I know there is some street parking on 8th within the block of the hotel, maybe a few on 7th also. There is more street parking within 2 blocks. There are lots across the street between A and B and also B and C between 8th and 9th.

I am 99% sure there is parking across the street from the front entrance on A st also.

Last edited by Mongah; Nov 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm Reason: Added more
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:11 pm

Thanks. Just got into the property. Self parking is $22 and Valet is $26/day.

The parking across the street is only $7/day. No In & out but oh wells

Plenty meters available for short term (2 hours) parking.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:52 pm

I'll be there tomorrow, you can buy me a drink
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
recent reviews?

Any recent reviews? Staying at the Grant and here. Is breakfast and drinks still offered. Thanks!

-singtx
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a two-night stay last November over Thanksgiving weekend. Accommodations were fine. We arrived around midnight and I don't remember if they gave us drink coupons or not. The did give us breakfast coupons and we used them the next morning. The hot/cold breakfast buffet was good and they kept everything replenished. The servers were friendly but hard to catch for beverage refills. We weren't around for happy hour (if there was one) the next night and we left too early the following day to have breakfast in the buffet. So, yes to breakfast coupons and ? to complimentary cocktails.

Originally Posted by singtx
Any recent reviews? Staying at the Grant and here. Is breakfast and drinks still offered. Thanks!

-singtx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.