Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
This property was the Westin Cabo San Lucas, which closed following hurricane damage in 2016 and reopened as the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa in April 2017.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Raincheck10
I still dont understand why it costs $52 from the airprot to the hotel and $26 on the way back. Also, I found none of the drivers friendly, just doing their job was the attitude.
It may have to do with the Airport taxes that have to paid when picking up passengers at the Airport.

On our recent trip to Puerto Vallarta we paid to $15 to go from the airport to Hotel and $4 to go to the airport from the Hotel(Westin Regina).
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Westin Los Cabos-Plat friendly?

This morning I was told I was going to Puerto Vallarta but a few hours later I found out I could go to Los Cabos instead. I'm a Cancun freak- I just got back from there about a week ago and had an awful experience at the newly opened Westin there. Luckily, I was saved and rejuvenated by my favorite hotel in Mexico- Le Meridien Cancun. However, I am now booked for 4 nights at Los Cabos Westin and wonder if this will be a new favorite.

I booked an ocean view King, and as a Plat I am hoping to get in the tower rooms, but wonder just how well they treat Plats at this hotel. I know from experience that some Mexican hotels aren't as forthcoming with upgrades. Has anyone who stayed there had success with suites?

The property looks beautiful, and while the weather won't be so nice while I am there, I do wonder what kind of hotel it is. I leave Sunday and hope for the best, but would love to hear some info about Los Cabos Westin from people who have stayed there. I've done my search, but I would think such a big hotel would have a lot of guests from this board. Any suggestions?
Thanks- it's my 21st trip to Mexico but 1st to Los Cabos!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:17 am

Worked for me

I booked an award stay there around a holiday and got a small upgrade to an ocean view room of some sorts. Room was nice but not a suite. They said since I was a platinum we could have free breakfast buffet which was like $30 per person and very nice. They also have a lounge for happy hour with free drinks and food. We made this happy hour dinner on a few occasions. Very nice resort and was treated well. No rain man suite but treated well.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Of the 243 rooms, only the 12 junior suites and 2 larger suites at the Westin Los Cabos have jacuzzis. And odds of getting one of those suites at check-in might be slim. While we were there in January, I suspect that all of the suites were dedicated to the conference groups.

Getting around the property can be time consuming due to its layout. It can often require two elevator rides to get from one place to another. The location of your room can greatly affect the time that it takes to get to/from the Club Lounge.

Great breakfast in the Club Lounge is complimentary for Plats. Evening food in the Club Lounge was not as impressive for us, but good if you want to relax with some free drinks. Almost all rooms have an ocean view, but some views are better than others. Try to get one around the center of the building. Avoid ones that directly overlook the timeshare buildings.

Rooms on the top floor won't have anyone noisily walking on your ceiling. I found the rooms here to be loud sometimes. Tile floors and few things to buffer the sounds and echos from the exterior walkways and central area outside.

If your party might be splitting up, two-way radios could be nice for being able to find each other.

I believe that there are some good restaurant recommendations out on the board. Our favorites were in San Jose del Cabo.

If returning, we'd pick the Sheraton over the Westin.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG
Stayed Easter week in April on points (booked a Royal Beach Club room) and was upgraded to a Baja Suite. It was awesome!! Mind you I am just a basic SPG member who gets most of his points thru the AMEX charge card.

The resort is wonderful. See my trip review posted in April.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: aa e-plat 3 mm; ca plat; spg plat; hilton dia
Sheraton over this westin

Ditto teh Shertaon is the easier property to enjoy and is done very nicely

westin is a very interesting piece of architecture and any hotel that gives plats free breakfast and booze is fine by me but it is a pain to gte around, walking up and back, up and back

But the original question was how plats are handled and teh answer is very well with room upgrades usually the hardest part
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, *W Plat., AA Gold, Hertz PC
Stayed at the Westin last August on points and was upgraded to one of the Jr. Suites with the Jacuzzi on the balcony with an ocean view. Absolutely awesome room.

J
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:36 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks for the advice! I'm wondering if I should've gone with the Sheraton- cheaper and less points used on days I have to pay out of pocket. It's weird, I could write a BOOK on Cancun and what to do, see, experience, etc., but I have NO idea what to expect in Los Cabos.

I am going w/ the suggestion to get a shuttle from airport and back- I won't be leaving the hotel so I'm thinking a car would be a waste of money, and less hassle.

Glad to hear there are shuttles into town- I might take advantage of that to shop one day, but basically plan on spending my 4 days working out by the pool on my laptop. I have heard that cell service is not good there- I just got back from Cancun last week and had cell service there! Cabo is closer to CA- I guess I thought I would have service.

I'll cross my fingers for an upgrade- I saw the Baha suites and thought they looked nice. I can't remember staying in a room (versus a suite) in Mexico since being a Platinum member years ago, but it doesn't sound like they have many suites. I'm hoping that it being low season will help, but you never know!

I will look again for that thread- I did a search but couldn't find much info. I am curious as to whether or not they get American tv- as a female traveling alone, I usually stay in at night. My hubby couldn't make it this trip and I am nervous as I don't know the area. Cancun is easy for me after so many trips I have lost count- I think it is 13 total but so many in last 3 years I can't know for sure. How does Cabo compare to Cancun? That is the question I will be covering while there. Some call it the new Cancun- an interesting angle to write about!

Anyway, thanks, and if anyone has anything else to add, please do!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I never got a plat upgrade here, but I have been to the property only a few times always at busy periods. As stated above, the ratio of suites to rooms is exceptionally low here so you have to get pretty lucky to get one.

I am just gold now, so for our next trip we are just booking 3 baja suites. With the SPG 50 they were $340 a night, and this includes guaranteed club access. There is also a $49 per person per day meal plan for 2 meals and 50% off drinks. So for about $440 a night you get a suite, 3 meals a day (breakfast in the club lounge and lunch/dinner through the plan) and, when not taking up free drinks in the lounge, 50% off the rest of them. I think that's good value.

Note the SPG 50's here are also good on the two largest suites, the governor's at around $700 discounted and the presidential at around $1300 discounted (the latter could have been a great honeymoon option for a week or two!).

This is a nice property and you will enjoy it I think. I have been to both Cabo and Cancun many times, and while they are "different things" (i.e. one is more of a younger folk party town, the other more of a sophisticated resort area catering to a slightly older crowd) I have always enjoyed Cabo more. I just find it much more beautiful, the weather is better (no humidity, drier air), etc.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
The Westin Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (Master Thread)

Does anyone have any experience at this property on this subject. When booking a stay with points, I get the following:

"Taxes: Service Charge of 4.00% per room per night is not included in the rate. Lodging Tax of 3.00% per room per night is not included in the rate.
Iva of 10.00% per room per night is not included in the rate."

Since these three list a percentage, what rate are they taking it from?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:29 pm

Westin Los Cabo - Royal beach club

I was wondering if anyone knows about amount of points need to be upgraded to Royal beach club as of Feb 01 2007 ?

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: HHoners Diamond, Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum
I am not sure the amount it would take. I don't know your status with *wood, but if you are Gold or Platinum more than likely you will be upgraded to a Royal Beach Club room at check-in. This will give you access to the lounge for both breakfast and dinner.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: HHoners Diamond, Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum
I would call the *wood preferred desk and request an upgrade just to play it safe. Also they can tell you how many more points will be needed for an upgraded room.

The front desk employees there were very accommodating to my wife and I and it was not a problem for an upgrade. It also depends when you are traveling there if it will be peek season and booked solid or off-season and hardly anybody there. The *wood preferred number will also be able to tell you if it is peek season or not & if hotel is booked or not.

Hope this helps out.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:53 am

Just to clarify (at least this was the case when I was there) the Royal Beach Club offers breakfast and appetizers at dinner time - yes, one could fill up on the appetizers but I would not consider that dinner..am I correct?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Kobi
Just to clarify (at least this was the case when I was there) the Royal Beach Club offers breakfast and appetizers at dinner time - yes, one could fill up on the appetizers but I would not consider that dinner..am I correct?
That's correct. I would not consider the appetizers sufficient for dinner. Free drinks are also offered in the lounge in the evenings.

Since you are Gold, I think that I would recommend spending points for this upgrade. Even as a Plat in chilly January, we did not get upgraded to a RBC room. We did, however, still get access to the lounge because of my Plat status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.