Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
This property was the Westin Cabo San Lucas, which closed following hurricane damage in 2016 and reopened as the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa in April 2017.
Print Wikipost

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa (was Cabo San Lucas) Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:24 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Spouse and I stayed there May, 2004...for two nights, then jumped to the next-door Hilton to burn some rapidly-devaluing, about to expire HHONORS Hilton points.

Because I had such little confidence in the upgrade process as a PLAT (I never score "gratis" upgrades - don't know why) staying on an award, and because the event was so important to us (20th ANV), I chose to pay for the WESTIN stay and then burn the HHONORS points w/ Hilton.

We did get a nice ocean-front suite...and it sounds kind of like what the previous poster got, but I don't know if it was "what we paid for" (our rate was mid $200s), or some sort of upgrade. I believe CLUB LEVEL was part of the rate (ie breakfast was an advertised part of the rate plan that I chose) so, again, no official "gratis" upgrade - I paid for the club level.

We also had the 20th ANV annotated in our reservation, so that may have benefited us more than my PLAT status in that the hotel clearly was aware of the special event when we arrived (champagne in the room, nice rose pedals in the bath tub and on the bed, etc).

So...my experience doesn't count for much in your situation IMO.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:15 pm

April Stay at Westin Cabo

Just got back from Cabo. This resort is absoloutely beautiful and truly an architectural masterpiece.

As far as Platinum upgrades....good luck. When I checked in there, a huge conference group landed and they literally took over the resort. They must have had at least 80% of the guest under them. Every night they took over all the party areas and it was pretty crazy. Although not in your way. When I checked in, I tried my usual good luck at the front desk and they would not even give me an Ocean front room. I paid for the stay with points and being a Platinum, I was hoping I could get a bump to a nicer view room....let alone a suite. The front desk person was plain rude and all of them very unfreiendly. Of course they gave me access to the RBC- pretty OK. Food gets repeated like nuts and it gets old after 2 days. Same old stuff...literallly I think.

Then I call two days later after the conference crew departed and asked for a better room. The guy said he can upgrade us to a suite and it just came open. But the additional charge would be $300+ USD.

Can someone help me understand.....is that OK to do that? I thought if a room became available and the guest was OK to move....it should be free.....very similar to best available room. Did not want to argue with these jokers.

Lastly you would hope that many people spoke English being a Westin hotel. Good luck with that.

Hope that helped.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:47 pm

RBC lounge

Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
Of course they gave me access to the RBC- pretty OK. Food gets repeated like nuts and it gets old after 2 days. Same old stuff...literallly I think.
I actually thought the food and drinks at the RBC was spectacular. For dinner appetizers, they had seafood paella, chips & salsa, ribs, little sandwiches, mini fajitas...etc. And an open bar that included pina coladas, miami vices, margaritas, beer, wine..etc. Breakfast was a wonderful spread of many different styles of eggs, potatoes, mexican dishes, smoked salmon, fruit as well as the basic breakfast foods such as bagels, toast, cereal...etc.

Best club lounge I've been to...

Last edited by uschpr; Apr 26, 2005 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by Alaska 2F
Any comments about the Sheraton there? Or suggestions on room location/upgrades and activities? Thanks.
Just returned from the Sheraton (literally this afternoon). Thought the resort was fabulous - got a great rate ($169) for ocean view. Did not inquire or find out about upgrades. My parents came along - and they ended up buying a timeshare at the Hacienda Del Mar (which is the property) - all the timeshares are suites.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Alaska 2F
Thanks for the repsonse! One more quick question, there had been discussions on this board about the use of the beach and swimming, that is that swimming in the open water was off limits at times. Did you encounter this? I am planning on going Saturday.

Thanks again.

well over the 5 days we were there there were times it was swimmable, and other times it definitely wasn't. There is a lifeguard on duty. Unless you are a strong swimmer I would not recommend it. I was told there are times when it is perfectly still. We didn't go in - other than ankle deep. Quite content to sit by the pools.
Old May 13, 2005, 3:10 am

I believe the beaches at the Westin and Sheraton are very rarely swimmable. I have gone the last 2 years and have only seen red flags (no swimming). I liked the Sheraton better – more pools, nice campus, nicer beach. no free breakfast or cocktail hour though, which you can get at the RBC at the Westin. My room at the Sheraton in the main building was starting to showing it’s age though. I would stay at one of the new standalone villas which are not connected. The rooms are bigger.

I was not able to get an upgrade at either hotel. In fact I got the worst room available in the category at both places. The whole never get upgraded thing is really annoying. I would think at a minimum that I would be placed in the one of the nicest room in the category that you are assigned to.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:02 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
swimming at the beach is possible for good swimmers only.

hotel is good, very nice suites with jacuzzi on balcony
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by jmilliken
Any recent experiences getting upgrades on award stays at this hotel? I am heading off there this weekend.

J
Stayed there over Memorial Day Weekend, and was "upgraded" to a deluxe ocean view room. Was a normal room near the center of the property with a nice view of the ocean...most of the rooms have nice views. We did get access to the Royal Beach Club which was nice, but they gave us two queen beds instead of a King bed.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
Originally Posted by trvlr70
I stayed at the Westin Regina Los Cabos a couple of years ago. The suites are called the Royal Beach Club and they are unbelieveable. Imagine, a huge two bedroom suite with kitchen, perched right over the ocean, jacuzzi tub overlooking the pacific in the bedroom, huge walk in shower, Pinon pine ceiling, large private patio, etc.. It was just incredible. Try to make it work. It may be the best suite I've ever had in my life....loved it.

Good luck!

John
Just to clarify, this is off the mark a bit. I stayed in this category when I was there. These have been sold and converted into timeshares. As a result, you can definitely not consider an upgrade to them.

The Royal Beach Club, is simply that -- that particular section's lounge. Great set-up, too.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I had a very dissatifying platinum experience at the Westin Cabo this past July.

#1 - booked a double bedded partial ocean view room, was "upgraded to a partial ocean king room" which was unacceptable since i was travelling with two children and we needed either a sofa bed or two beds." i explained this to the front desk manager, and i was placed in a room with no ocean view, just a view of a big rock with trash all over outside the balcony. i had noticed on the website that there was a junior suite available for my stay. she told me that she showed none available, sorry. i went up to the room, paid $30 for slow internet and proceeded to book the junior suite. i proceeded to the front desk and told the manager to look up and see that i just reserved the room. she said great, you can pay the higher rate. i said no, i am eligible for the upgrade since it was available. she refused and stated, that since i booked the room i was now liable for any cancellation charges that would be incurred. (i laughed and explained to her that i had until 6pm to cancel the reservation) after about 30 minutes of arguments with the unsympathetic manager, she finally told me i could have the room for $100. more per night. She stated that i did not deserve an free upgrade since i paid such a low rate (SPG50 rate of $137). I had seen pictures of the suite and thought it was worth it for the $100 and just settled for it.

At the royal beach club, which we were granted free access to, the attendant charged our room an additional $80 each day because we brought our two children to the club, and stated only two adults were able to go to the royal beach club.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:43 pm

FOLKS:

I stayed at the Westin from July 1, 2005 to July 6, 2005 as an SPG Platinum. It was on a special rate of partial points (approx 20,000 points) and $245 for 5 nights. A special combo rate of points and dollars that I booked on SPG.COM. I like using the combo of points and $.

When I arrived and checked in I had asked about a room upgrade as a SPG Platinum...the front desk person smiled and said sir we have already upgraded you to a beachfront suite. Great!

Get to the room and it was a beautiful suite - 2 stories...bottom floor was a nice living room with plasma tv and surround system, full bathroom and minibar downstairs, and a jacuzzi on the terrace. I go upstairs and there is the kingsize bed, massive bathroom and another minibar and another nice terrace. I also called down and received free highspeed internet access during my stay in my room. After seeing this really nice upgrade I decided that I would spend all my meals at the hotel and get any SPG incremental points possible during my stay.

I was quite fortunate to get this upgrade considering my total spend on 5 nights was $245 USD - $50 per night plus the points. Also went to the Club lounge for breakfast every morning and happy hour every day and the staff there was always very nice.

I completely enjoyed myself during this vacation and would recommend this property :-:

Enjoy,
ak tt p900
Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, *W Plat., AA Gold, Hertz PC
Just got back from the Westin Regina at Cabo. We were able to secure an upgrade to the Junior Suite for 6 of our 7 nights. When we checked in we only had a full ocean view room, but after asking if a suite was available, we were able to get one for all nights but the first.

J
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I used 40k points plus another 6k or so to upgrade to the Royal Beach Club or something like that. This gives me club access as they explained it to me in when making the reservation. Does this also mean I will be placed in a room facing the ocean? Or do I simply have an award room with access to the club? Any experiences with an award stay with this rate? I'm gold if this helps in any responses.

Also, my wife is a few months along with a little PHL INTL TERMINAL. She is quite concerned with her diet, etc. Is there a place where we can purchase large quantities of bottled water nearby without paying the excessive amounts typically charged at a hotel such as this one? Maybe we should stop on the way from the airport?

We'll be there next week.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHL INTL TERMINAL

Also, my wife is a few months along with a little PHL INTL TERMINAL. She is quite concerned with her diet, etc. Is there a place where we can purchase large quantities of bottled water nearby without paying the excessive amounts typically charged at a hotel such as this one? Maybe we should stop on the way from the airport?
When we stayed at the Sheraton down the road they gave us plenty of bottled water complimentary - we asked for extra for formula for our then 5 month old.

In any case there is a Costco on the road to the Westin and Sheraton - opposite side to the water - http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Loca...?Warehouse=724.

if you're not a member I am sure anywhere in either town would have plenty of water cheaply.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: Starwood, Delta, and AA
Thumbs up Club floor

I stayed at the Westin over Labor Day weekend last year using points. We had a great time. Make sure you get on the club level....it was a real breakfast the drinks in the evening were strong. As I was on a romantic vacation, I didn't want to take the chance that we wouldn't be upgraded so I booked an ocean front room. It was worth every point.

PS the restaurant had exceptional service, a nice wine list and a spectacular view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.