Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Closing 10/1/18 for renovation.
Print Wikipost

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We just received notification today about our points reservation. It seems we have been relocated to the Danili at the same points level. Time to start my research again.

This trip seems jinxed. Out of 5 hotels in the UK and Italy this is the second to do this, although the other, the Marriott Hollins Hall in Yorkshire is rebranding and no relocation assistance was offered. It was a cash booking and we've had to relocate to the Marriott Leeds, which is less convenient and costs 50% more. Maybe the transfer to the Danieli will be our reward..
Edit. It seems I spoke too soon. We just found the email sent 4 days ago just today, ( we've been away) and it seems that as we didn't confirm within 72 hours the new reservation at the lower rate was cancelled.
Edit. Called SPG but they cannot help us until they can speak to the hotel tomorrow. Then we can try and see if we can get the granted My 24 request that we had

Last edited by Fizzer; Jul 8, 2018 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:22 pm

Anyone know why all inventory through June is pulled if they expect the renovation to be completed in Spring? I can book a room with Platinum override for June in a classic (basic) room but cannot book an award stay. Anyone have any idea how to book an award stay?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:37 am

Goodbye Westin. Hello St. Regis. Complete remodel with fewer rooms and more suites. Target completion 8 months from now. One side is already closed and being worked on.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by Fizzer
We just received notification today about our points reservation. It seems we have been relocated to the Danili at the same points level. Time to start my research again.

This trip seems jinxed. Out of 5 hotels in the UK and Italy this is the second to do this, although the other, the Marriott Hollins Hall in Yorkshire is rebranding and no relocation assistance was offered. It was a cash booking and we've had to relocate to the Marriott Leeds, which is less convenient and costs 50% more. Maybe the transfer to the Danieli will be our reward..
Edit. It seems I spoke too soon. We just found the email sent 4 days ago just today, ( we've been away) and it seems that as we didn't confirm within 72 hours the new reservation at the lower rate was cancelled.
Edit. Called SPG but they cannot help us until they can speak to the hotel tomorrow. Then we can try and see if we can get the granted My 24 request that we had
Wait, you got relocated to the Danieli at the same points level and are upset? That would seem like a huge upgrade to me. One of our best ever SPG stays was at the Danieli...
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:13 pm

I have a bet with the staff it's a 800 euro minimum for a base room once it becomes St. Regis. Anyone disagree with me? Especially with larger rooms.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:26 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I have a bet with the staff it's a 800 euro minimum for a base room once it becomes St. Regis. Anyone disagree with me? Especially with larger rooms.
it really is a nice property and location. I’ll be interested to see how they change the entrance as I always found it slightly awkward.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Wait, you got relocated to the Danieli at the same points level and are upset? That would seem like a huge upgrade to me. One of our best ever SPG stays was at the Danieli...
No,
I wasn't upset about the change but was concerned that if I didn't call to confirm acceptance within 72 hours ( as stated in the email ) my booking would potentially be cancelled. As I didn't find the email until after that 72 hour window had expired I was worried I would have no reservation at all. As it was all worked out, despite my delay in responding. The only negative, and it is trivial, was that my accepted My 24 at the Westin is no longer available at the Danieli. We'll just leave our bags with the bell boys instead. Good to hear all the good things about the Danieli.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:16 am

PRO: nice bottle of champagne in the room which they let me drink at the bar without corkage

CON: 11 euro for a Pepsi in the bar. Are you kidding me? It's not even a full-sized can and it's not refrigerated. The response I got was, that's Starwood!

The attitude of a guest experience can certainly change over something like that. Just had a run in with the front desk too over something they should easily be able to take care of and said no.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:26 am

PRO: nice bottle of champagne in the room which they let me drink at the bar without corkage

CON: 11 euro for a Pepsi in the bar. Are you kidding me? It's not even a full-sized can and it's not refrigerated. The response I got was, that's Starwood!

The attitude of a guest experience can certainly change over something like that. Just had a run in with the front desk too over something they should easily be able to take care of and said no.
Averaged out you got a champagne and pepsi for 11 euro, or you could say 7 euro for champagne and 4 for pepsi. Sounds good! :-) Drinks are about 20 euro if I remember though, which is also high.

+ Really liked the outside terrace and excellent cocktails though (2 free drink gift)

In general, it seems like soft drinks and tea in Italy are expensive, often more than beer. I remember at a small shop paying 4.50 for a tea bag in hot water and 2.50 for cappuccino.

Last edited by rrgg; Aug 2, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:41 am

No complaints about it all averaging out, but put the Pepsi in the refrigerator at a minimum. A full size can would be nice.

Talked to the front office manager on the other matter and got it sorted. It was something very small but there was no need to go through three people. Pretty standard request in my experience but they found it unusual. They're in the guest satisfaction industry. No reason to have negative interaction with a guest.

By the way, the main terrace is closed between the two villas as part of the construction.

Fuller review coming.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:27 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

Not so much Starwood as it is Venice. Even a soda on the street from a carryout place is ridiculous. I am a soda drinker and I actually went two days without just as a matter of principle last time I was there.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:40 am

As the property is closing shortly, I won't post a comprehensive review. Obviously, any upgrade to a canal room makes the property worthwhile. Even if they are stitching and patching holes in sheets and the 2 singles pushed together slide all over during the night so you can have a nice canyon between mattresses and nearly fall through. One front desk agent was spectacular. The other clearly shouldn't be in hospitality.

However I would like to focus on the concierge staff which mainly is terribly inconvenienced from phone surfing when you approach it. So I had a brief conversation with one telling them I returned to Venice this time specifically for food and had taken several months researching spots, talking to people in the industry, reading reviews, etc. The problem was, I was walking 20-30 minutes all over the place in 41 degree heat index to find many of these places closed on summer break. Obviously not the hotel's fault. Met stone-faced, clearly the concierge was not impressed nor cared in the slightest the motivation for my trip. I had brought down some of my maps and simply asked he call (three places total, not 20 mind you), just to see if they're open. He ignored this request and just went to Google to see operation hours which of course will not tell you who is on holiday. Pulling teeth, I insisted he pick up the phone and call. By the way, there are three concierge at the desk and no guests around. I got him to make one call before he gave up on the rest.

So he recommended a local spot which he said was newish. I went and it was complete shite. This was pre-made fried food and then warmed in the microwave. Yes, I know most places are pre-fried, but the good ones use a warming oven so not to dry out the food. The risotto was pre-made. Half the stuff on the menu board was out. Basically young chefs who don't care about the details.

With a limited time in Venice and something so important to me, I was incredibly disappointed.

I went back that night and told a different concierge I would not recommend it to guests and for him to inform his colleague. The next day I saw both of them at the desk. Of course the night one didn't inform his colleague so I told the story to the one who recommended it. And I got unbelievable pushback and we got in to a full heated discussion over the place. So I asked, have you actually eaten there? He said "once. and I just got the risotto." As the conversation went on, all of a sudden he ate there "many times" buy still only had the risotto. Of all the places in Venice, and especially since I wanted chiceetti and said so (this place doesn't have that, it's like a Whole Foods meal counter), and I told you how important this was to me, why would you recommend it?

Anyway, I fell in love all over again with the view and location, but not the hotel this time around. They are going to have to up their game as a St. Regis.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Of course marriott.dumb makes no mention of the closing (as of 10/1/18): https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...regina-venice/
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Reopens as The St. Regis Venice in May 2019

Looks like this reopens as the St Regis in May:

https://www.fivestaralliance.com/lux...opa-and-regina

Strange that Marriott took down the old Westin Europa & Regina page, but hasn't put up a replacement St Regis Venice page with any info on the opening date.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Another St. Regis in Italy. The Westin was always a nice hotel. Hope they will be the same level like the other gem in Italy the St. Regis Firenze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.