FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/547269-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-milan-italy-master-thread.html)

FT in LA Jan 31, 2004 4:58 pm

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Now that the Principe De Savoia is no longer affiliated with Starwood, which Starwood hotel do you recommend in Milan? Every time I have stayed at the Westin Palace it has been a bad experience: tiny rooms, no upgrade for Platinum, no Platinum gift.

The Principe was great, my favorite hotel in Europe.

[This message has been edited by FT in LA (edited Jan 31, 2004).]

NickW Feb 2, 2004 6:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FT in LA:
Every time I have stayed at the Westin Palace it has been a bad experience: tiny rooms, no upgrade for Platinum, no Platinum gift.</font>
I think you are suffering from bad luck.

Every time I have stayed at the Westn Palace, I have received an amenity (OK, a fruit bowl...) and an upgrade to at least a deluxe corner room, despite booking singles.

prh Feb 5, 2004 7:21 pm

I too had a great stay at the Westin in June. Upgraded to a junior suite on a high floor. Great service -- and I like the restaurant.

Ferrari Feb 5, 2004 7:47 pm

We recently stayed at the Grand Florence, Danelli Venice and the Westin Milan....

The Westin was the best by far, we got upgrade to great room with turkish bath, fruit the works...the people were just great....
The Grand...here was another story...heads so far up there asses it wasn't funny...rooms sucked, hotel sucked...
I would never use another starwood in Florence, I have had 2 bad experinces now..and thats enough...

Danelli....fine, Nice hotel great location....

All our other hotels were Hiltons....

They treated us just wonderfully.....so much so I am going to continue with Hilton as a Diamond, and starwood when ever I have too...

NickW Feb 6, 2004 8:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prh:
Great service -- and I like the restaurant.</font>
Oh yes: the restaurant at the Westin is really pretty good; really good, freshly made bread, excellent staff, nice menu ... sort of Italian with a light touch.

Also the only place I have ever drunk a wine named after a sexual lubricant! (KY ... a dessert wine from Sicily if memory serves)

Jills Feb 6, 2004 2:15 pm

I'll be there in just a few days. Does anyone know how many suites are available? Or the name of a manager / arrival coordinator to specifically request an upgrade. I usually just smile and take whatever they have set aside for me (which is usually pretty darned nice)...

But this trip, we will be having a couple of business contacts meeting us at the hotel, and it would be nice to sit down in a suite and talk business, rather than meeting in the lobby IMHO.

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum

Jills Feb 6, 2004 2:26 pm

Sorry. As soon as I hit "Submit", I found the details I was seeking re: suites (16, 10 with Turkish baths - whatever that is. Anyone?) And 9 Westin Guest Offices. What's that exactly?

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum

dogmom11 Feb 6, 2004 4:49 pm

We always stay at the Sheraton Diana Majestic--it's one of my favorite hotels ever and they treat Plats incredibly well. I've always been upgraded to a garden room, even when I check in extra early. It's lovely to arrive after an all night flight and have trees literally at your window even many floors up...very quiet, even if the rooms are kind of smallish. (DogDad loves the toiletries there as well--when you can get him to rave about little bottles of lotion, you KNOW they must be something!)

Location is great--2 minute walk from a subway station that connects w/the airport, so easy in and out any time of the day. I'm in the fashion biz and this is a prime location for fashion types to meet/greet/compete--we really love the people watching in the bar and it's equal opportunity for seeing male and female models, so a little something for everyone! (-: Restaurant is superb and not outrageously expensive for Milan.

Definitely a different experience than the Westin in Rome...

Ferrari Feb 6, 2004 7:31 pm

AHHH.

The Turkish Bath...Its a full walk in steam room, you could get at least 10 in there.....

Awesome...I loved it.....

DFW DL Feb 7, 2004 12:50 pm

I've stayed at the Westin Palace a number of times aand always gotten a nice upgraded room. They certainly treat me better than the Excelsior in Rome, where I have stayed at least 30 times and gotten exactly one upgrade.

In general, location is better than the Diana, and as others have posted, great food and service. Have also gotten a pretty good promo rate there when traveling with my family (2nd room at 50% off), which the Principe didn't offer.

Jills Feb 8, 2004 8:20 am

DFW DL ~

Did you request the upgrade in advance, or did they just automatically give it to you? I don't want to irritate anyone by being too presumptious, but I REALLY "need" the upgrade for this trip. (just not enough to pay for it!)

------------------

mauld Jul 6, 2004 11:33 am

Just back from a quick weekend trip to Milan, and thought I'd post some pics of the Westin: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=xcyf847...r&x=0&y=b0xfy9

I arrived early from my flight and had no problem checking in at 9am, staff was very efficient and gave me the Platinum card to choose my amenity which included: wine, fruit/cheese plate, locale amenity (pasta), e 10 credit towards food/beverage, or e12 credit for in room movie. I was a bit surprised at the exterior of this hotel, as I assumed it to be 'old style' (as the rooms actually are). I was not showed up to my room, nor was I offered assistance with my luggage (I had a small rolling carry on), but I found my room easily enough (1124). It had a view out towards the Plaza & over to the old Principe de Savoie. It is not centrally located for the sights, but is near the Metro/subway (line #3) which makes it easy to get around. While nothing was really wrong with my room, I don't generally like this style, and so I'd say it was adequate (I much preferred the style of the Park Hyatt which I stayed in the following night-- but did want to 'rack up' additional Starwood nights). My wine was brought up as an amenity and left with 1 glass and a bottle opener on the desk. The hotel appeared very empty and later on in the evening I went down to the lounge/restaurant for a drink and in the 90 min I was there (around 7pm) no one else came in. I must say, I don't know if it is Milan or just their hospitality, but in as much as I had 2 glasses of Processo--they kept bringing more & more complimentary appitizers and snacks to my table. (But I did find the same thing at the Hyatt the next evening too :cool: ). I was paying a 'corp discounted rate here of e195, but was told I was upgraded (and indeed from looking at the floor plans, mine was one of the bigger rooms & I did have what could be considered a view).

ohcanada Jul 6, 2004 6:21 pm

We stayed at the Westin Milan in Febraury. Staff was helpful, location not too bad if you like a bit of a walk, rooms average at best. Breakfast was included and was terrific - really the highlight of the stay.

Star_Alliance Mar 24, 2005 6:02 am

The Westin Palace, Milan vs. Sheraton Diana Majestic Hotel

Hi,
have the hotels a lounge for Plt's with breakfast?
Which Hotel you like more?
Or cheaper Four Points by Sheraton Milan Center

Thanks
Star_Alliance

TRAVELSIG Mar 25, 2005 4:23 am

Sheraton Diana Majestic is a great hotel with a fantastic location. I have been upgraded to a higher room category every time I have stayed there- don't think there is a lounge- I have never been advised of it- and as I am there on business (quite hectic) I have not even asked. The bar is a great place for a drink after work.