Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Southwest
Reviews of Westin Palace and Le Meridien Gallia

Had two nights at each of the hotels - thought I would share my thoughts for those interested. I am Starwood Gold (from credit card). Stayed with Cash & Points.

Got into Milan early morning and got to Gallia at 10 a.m. Gave them my Starwood Gold card (remembered to bring it, thought it would work better). It was well before check-in time but the lady at the desk apologized about ont having a room, then called someone and said "Gold" and then a manager type came to greet me, apologize for no room, and then took us to the bar and offered us a free breakfast. A strange, but very nice thing, since we had no right to an early room. The room itself was reasonable. Nice main room, bathroom is nice if not overly large. Comfortable to stay in. Location is great if you need to get to and from Central Station or if you plan on using the Metro a lot. Not much to do otherwise in immediate area. Concierge was very helpful especially in helping us get to our next destination. I would say they were invaluable - I wanted to send them a commendation but can't find an e-mail address.

Also stayed at Westin Palace. Less boutiquey hotel, more western appearing lobby. The room is more "grand" (quite a chandeleir) with a nicer bathroom. As Gold got upgraded to a view of the Duomo which is a great view. I was happy overall with the room but the A/C wasn't quite strong enough and I couldn't sleep well that night at all. Surrounding area is also slow, but I did the walk to the duomo and it was reasonable and felt safe. Metro is also nearby. Ate at the restaurant which is terribly expensive but was actually quite good so I recommend that.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either - if you find either for a good deal, take it. They both appreciate SPG Gold which is appreciated by me.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by stimpy
Never park in the hotel garage in Milano. There are many public garages that are half the price. [...]
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Parking in Milan: http://milano.parcheggi.it/
How does one find those parking places ? The link provided above only lists one location.

We will be staying at Le Meridien and are looking for options.

Thanks,
Yann
Old Jul 27, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Exclamation

This homepage isn't the old one.

Try this: http://www.turismo.comune.milano.it/...day=27-07-2008
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:52 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
the hotel is next door to the centrale train station which appears to have a 24 hour parking garage attached to it. have you checked with the hotel to see how much they will charge you for parking??
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
At least 40
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:04 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
in the past milan has been my last stop before returning to the usa and the hotel is literally right around the corner from hertz so i have always checked in to the hotel and left the car at hertz. if you are renting a car and do not need it in milan it may pay to return it and pick up a different one when you are ready to leave.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by yann
How does one find those parking places ? The link provided above only lists one location.
One drives or walks around. There are plenty of garages around. Or one can ask the doorman or concierge.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by abk
in the past milan has been my last stop before returning to the usa and the hotel is literally right around the corner from hertz so i have always checked in to the hotel and left the car at hertz. if you are renting a car and do not need it in milan it may pay to return it and pick up a different one when you are ready to leave.
This is unfortunately not an option for us (we will be driving all the way from Paris as part of a roadtrip).

Here is a list of parkings in the area around Le Meridien, as found on this website, atlhough I couldn't find any pricing information there:

- 3F CENTRAL PARKING - VIA FILZI FABIO, 43
- AUTOSILO BOSCOVICH - VIA BOSCOVICH, 18
- AUTOSILO PIAZZA 4 NOVEMBRE - PIAZZA QUATTRO NOVEMBRE, 5
- AUTOSILO PISANI - VIA V. PISANI, 15/A
- GARAGE 2000 - VIA ZEZON ACHILLE, 2
- GARAGE CAPPELLINI - VIA CAPPELLINI, 14
- GARAGE MARINA - VIA MACCHI MAURO, 52
- GARAGE PALACE - PIAZZA DELLA REPUBBLICA, 20
- GARAGE SAMMARTINI - VIA SAMMARTINI GIOVANNI BATTISTA, 3
- INTERNATIONAL PARKING - VIA GALVANI LUIGI, 12
- PARCHEGGIO PIRELLI - VIA PIRELLI G.BATT., 20
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:44 am
abk

two things:
1. if you Google parking and the centrale station milan you should find that the station has a garage and it is across the street from the hotel.
2. more interesting to me is that in your post you list the garage palace at the piazza della republica. this is about a 6 to 8 block walk from the meridian and more importantly is exactly where the westin palace is located. i have stayed at both hotels and the westin palace is much better than the meridian and in a better neighborhood ( the area around the train station is pretty creepy at night). if you could move to the palace you would have a garage right there for sure.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG
For your information, Le Mridien Gallia offers valet parking services which cost 20.00 for the outdoor parking and 40.00 for the indoor parking.

at this link you have some more info...
http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/Excelsiorgallia/transports.htm?IM=SOP_linktransports_LM_1870_IMB

but if you are going to Milan in August you shouldn't have any problem about parking... August is not high season in Milan
Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Cucchi
[...] but if you are going to Milan in August you shouldn't have any problem about parking... August is not high season in Milan
Having returned from Milan (we stayed at Le Meridien Gallia), I can confirm that August is indeed not high season there.

As far as parking goes, although on the first night we parked in front of the hotel (with pigeon drops included), we moved for subsequent nights to one of the many free parking spots available just two (slightly big) blocks away on Via Melchiorre Gioia (which could also be of interest to people staying at either of the many hotels in that area).

With regards to the hotel itself, we really liked the Deluxe room we stayed in (although not an upgrade), but service could have been much better (especially from the useless concierge or the maid who called our room 3 times in 2 hours to check whether we were still there - although we had a "Do not disturb" sign hanging).
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:38 am

In August Milan is normally out for holidays. This year is the first time that even the public traffic grows up. So more milanesi stay at home, because they cannot afford the holidays like the years before.

http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2...80824002.shtml

Apropos the pigeons: right now is the beginning the "time of birds" in milan. Nearly all the trees around will be full with pigeons. If you park a car under such a tree...

The concierges at gallia - I know only four of them - are normally far away of beeing useless. And in the room there is normally a switch to activate a little red light beside the door outside. If this would have been activated by you, no one would have disturbed you. Unfortunately some guest let the "no disturbare / do not disturb" sign on the door even if they have their room allready left...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Any recent review on Le Meridien and Westin please?

I'm thinking of a two-day trip to Milan, and wondering if it would be worth my while changing hotels to try out both, as Milan will be my regular destination.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:06 pm
abk

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Any recent review on Le Meridien and Westin please?

I'm thinking of a two-day trip to Milan, and wondering if it would be worth my while changing hotels to try out both, as Milan will be my regular destination.
don't rule out the sheraton diana majestic. if it were me i would try the westin and the sheraton. imho, especially if you are going to be a regular, try the diana to me it is a gracious property that treats it's regular guests well. also, if you are going to be there often the neighborhood is clearly better than the le meridien and i think much more interesting than the palace.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I have not stayed at the Westin, but we loved the Diana Majestic, where we were treated amazingly well. We have a labrador dog (who was with us), as does the GM, and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful. We also liked the location, as it was very central.

The Meridien Gallia was across the street from the train station, so good for my business trip, but it did not have the ambiance of the Diana Majestic. And the neighborhood is a bit dodgy at night. I would stay there again, but preferred the Sheraton property.

fduvall

Originally Posted by abk
don't rule out the sheraton diana majestic. if it were me i would try the westin and the sheraton. imho, especially if you are going to be a regular, try the diana to me it is a gracious property that treats it's regular guests well. also, if you are going to be there often the neighborhood is clearly better than the le meridien and i think much more interesting than the palace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.