Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Tahiti became Sofitel, 15 Oct. 2018 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won't miss much. They may honor elite benefits, at their discretion, but no points/nights credit.

Last edited by hhoope01; Oct 13, 2018 at 12:05 pm Reason: Removed recursive link (due to thread merge)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
😱 where will we stay at en route to bora bora now?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

I have two separate reservations booked in early Spring 2019 - one en route to Bora Bora and the other on the return. I have not been contacted.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by truptravels
Just got an email from Le Meridien Tahiti that effective Oct 15th, they will be changing ownership to a Sofitel by Accorgroup.
Just got my email today, but it failed to mention the name of the new hotel. Kind of key information really.

Anybody know if Accor does status matches? If it's even a worthwhile programme to have. I also have two trips to France next year and might be worth joining them rather than searching for Marriotts.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:16 pm

The Tahitians are French. They enjoy labor privileges that Americans don't to guarantee them universal free health care, free university education, a maximum working week of 40 hours, job security and guaranteed retirement by the age of 65.
I'ts not my intention to start a debate, but just as an observation ... there is no such thing as free healthcare. In France you pay an average of 55% of your income on taxes (all taxes added together) your entire life, so everyone can benefit of that "free" healthcare (this includes people that never moved a finger in their lives). If you want to calculate how much is that at the end of your life ... be my guest. Plus you have a ridiculous sales tax of 24% on goods that are already way more expensive than in US (ranging from food to electronics). Now if you want to compare the quality of the medical services, they are far behind the US on anything ... from medical innovation to cancer survival rate. My point is that let's not try to make the French system sound like bargain, because it's not.

Now let's get back to our sheep

I booked 5 nights with points there for next year and here is the message that I got:

As a valued Marriott Rewards member, we are writing to inform you of a change in the status of Le Meridien Tahiti. Since October 16, 2018, the property is no longer part of Marriott International or Le Meridien brand and no longer participate in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program. We see you are currently holding a reservation, arriving on xxx 2019 and departing on xxx 2019. We are pleased to inform you that the hotel will honor your reservation for a Preferred (free) Night Award, including Cash and Points, as your stay was originally confirmed. However, since the hotel will no longer be affiliated with the Starwood system, you will not earn Starpoints for any eligible charges incurred, nor will you receive any of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits. We realize this may be disappointing but hope we can count on your understanding.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Karter
Just got my email today, but it failed to mention the name of the new hotel. Kind of key information really.

Anybody know if Accor does status matches? If it's even a worthwhile programme to have. I also have two trips to France next year and might be worth joining them rather than searching for Marriotts.
Got my email, 2 days before check in... while in the tuamotus without internet. Arrived at airport without any idea of the name change, had already used my free 15 minutes of airport wifi when I landed to go to the tuamotu's. Most confusing experience trying to figure out why the taxi drivers were saying the new hotel name without being able to explain the ownership change. Emailed marriott/SPG because I thought it was horrible to communicate it so late and they replied and said my stay was honored as it was booked and the communication was the earliest they could send it. The restaurant was horrible, out of everything on the menu, 1 hour to get food, the wifi barely worked, room next to elevator despite status (duh no status now), and they made me pay $5/nt room tax on checkout! Told me to take my issues up with the new management. Huge waste of 12k SPG!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 604flyer
.....Emailed marriott/SPG because I thought it was horrible to communicate it so late and they replied and said my stay was honored as it was booked and the communication was the earliest they could send it.........!
That's sop when a property is de-flagged. It was a below average Meridien anyway. I won't miss it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

Just received a notification yesterday that my reservation made with Starpoints for March 2019 will not be honored because the new hotel group (Accor) could not come to an agreement with the Marriott group. So anyone who had reservations made with Startpoints, Free SPG nights or SPG employee discounts will have their reservations cancelled.

Luckily, I got my points back from Mariott / SPG, but I had to spend an unplanned amount of money to book something else.

This will remind me to never stay at an Accor brand hotel ever in my life. What a bunch of amateurs.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I just got a notification of cancellation for our stay in May. On the phone with Marriott now trying to figure this out. Pretty ridiculous that the two couldn't agree on a rate for existing bookings from many months ago. I'm trying to get Marriott to book me at another hotel similar to how airlines are required to book you on another airline because of the contract to get you from origin to destination. Not sure if it'll work out that way, but we'll see. Almost all the other hotels are sold out for our date. Got our Marriott points back (supposedly), but going to cost a lot more in cash than the points were worth if I cannot get them to book me at another hotel (whole point of using points for a one night stay after arrival was to save cash for the rest of the trip)!

Edit: Interesting... after over an hour on the phone they said the reservation will be good still at the old Le Meridien under the original confirmation number. I'm supposed to get an email confirming that within a few days, so I'll report back if that works out. Will be interesting to see if I get the points back for it still as well, haha.

Last edited by glocklt4; Jan 9, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gin.Or.Juice
Just received a notification yesterday that my reservation made with Starpoints for March 2019 will not be honored because the new hotel group (Accor) could not come to an agreement with the Marriott group. So anyone who had reservations made with Startpoints, Free SPG nights or SPG employee discounts will have their reservations cancelled.

Luckily, I got my points back from Mariott / SPG, but I had to spend an unplanned amount of money to book something else.

This will remind me to never stay at an Accor brand hotel ever in my life. What a bunch of amateurs.
Originally Posted by glocklt4
I just got a notification of cancellation for our stay in May. On the phone with Marriott now trying to figure this out. Pretty ridiculous that the two couldn't agree on a rate for existing bookings from many months ago. I'm trying to get Marriott to book me at another hotel similar to how airlines are required to book you on another airline because of the contract to get you from origin to destination. Not sure if it'll work out that way, but we'll see. Almost all the other hotels are sold out for our date. Got our Marriott points back (supposedly), but going to cost a lot more in cash than the points were worth if I cannot get them to book me at another hotel (whole point of using points for a one night stay after arrival was to save cash for the rest of the trip)!

Edit: Interesting... after over an hour on the phone they said the reservation will be good still at the old Le Meridien under the original confirmation number. I'm supposed to get an email confirming that within a few days, so I'll report back if that works out. Will be interesting to see if I get the points back for it still as well, haha.
Curious - Did either of you get emailed that your room would be honored back in October when the hotel changed hands? There definitely was an email that circulated confirming that bookings would be honored

Did you both have redemption bookings?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sgan317
Curious - Did either of you get emailed that your room would be honored back in October when the hotel changed hands? There definitely was an email that circulated confirming that bookings would be honored

Did you both have redemption bookings?
Yes (to both questions):

As a valued Marriott Rewards member, we are writing to inform you of a change in the status of Le Meridien Tahiti. Since October 16, 2018, the property is no longer part of Marriott International or Le Meridien brand and no longer participate in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program.

We see you are currently holding a reservation, confirmation number xxxxxx arriving on xxxxxxx May 2019 and departing on xxxxxxx May 2019. We are pleased to inform you that the hotel will honor your reservation for a Preferred (free) Night Award, including Cash and Points, as your stay was originally confirmed. However, since the hotel will no longer be affiliated with the Starwood system, you will not earn Starpoints for any eligible charges incurred, nor will you receive any of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits. We realize this may be disappointing but hope we can count on your understanding.

Last edited by glocklt4; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4

Can you post a redacted copy of this cancellation email? Working on some publicity for your plight. Marriott PR will hopefully get back to me.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If Marriott only volunteered the usual low utilisation rate points value, then I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sofitel told them where to put it.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
Can you post a redacted copy of this cancellation email? Working on some publicity for your plight. Marriott PR will hopefully get back to me.
Great, thanks!

Bonjour,

Since October 15, 2018, the former Méridien Tahiti has been managed by Accorhotels under the name Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort managed by Sofitel.

We are sorry to inform you that we were unable to reach an agreement with the Marriott group to redeem the bookings made with SPG/ Marriott points, cash & points and employee rates. We therefore have no other choice than to cancel the reservation with other arrangements such as transportation, activities, … you made at our hotel.

We will be happy to help you to book again your reservation at Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort managed by Sofitel , please contact us or visit our website at www.accorhotels.com, to make your new reservation.

We remain at your disposal for any further information or assistance needed to enjoy your next stay in our beautiful islands.

Thank you for your understanding.

With warm regards,

Clémence CHIVAROFF

Agent de réservation

T +689 40 47 07 35
F +689 40 47 07 28

Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort managed by Sofitel
BP 380595 Tamanu, 98718 Punaauia

Tahiti, French Polynesia
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:42 am

I'm in the same boat. Had to spend an extra $2000 for my trip in April. Was using the points at the Le Meridien in order to spend some more in Tikehau. Definitely will not be an Accor patron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.