Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bosman
I like LM Piccadilly, though I seem to be in the minority on this board; stay here 2-3 times per year. Never had a problem getting lounge access. Breakfast in the restaurant has always been included in my room rate, so can't say whether it's an additional amenity. Lounge offerings are relatively sparse but functional. I've gotten a renovated room the last two times there, but that may be preferential treatment as I host a major event at the hotel annually. Non-renovated rooms can be hit or miss.

As others, have noted, it's a great location and the tube station is very accessible.
had a week long stay here last week and went with the LeM Piccadilly due to the rate being cheaper at the LeM.

location cannot be beat. Right at Piccadilly Circus and walking distance to a lot of the sites and sounds of London and access to public transportation is easy.

as a titanium, I was upgraded to a junior suite (but appeared to be a legitimate suite with a door between the living area and the bed area. Appears to be renovated as the bathroom was clean and updated. Sitting area had large sofa bed and a dining like table with a work desk. Carpets however seems worn. View out to regent street but the windows appear to be double glazed so no sound. AC was regular noised and worked well. Beds were comfortable although the pillows were extremely flat. Asked for a good 4 more pillows.

Club lounge still in the mezzanine level accessible by lift or stairs. Breakfast was very continental here in the lounge. Afternoon tea had scones and sandwiches, and happy hour was a rotating menu of 4 items that was served. Not bad but the Ren St Pancras is better.

welcome amenity I chose breakfast being that it was long stay. Served in the terrace restaurant on the 2nd floor. Not the best spread but a good selection of continental stuff and hot full English. You can order included items off the menu as well. Tasted the same after a couple of days.

love that the hotel has a massive gym in the basement. Also had a big (for central London) indoor pool.

Service is a a hit or miss here. Housekeeping was great but the lobby level staff can use some service training.

I can can see why there is not a lot of love for this property as I visited a friend’s un-upgraded room (no status). The classic rooms are small and can be slightly depressingly. I was lucky I didn’t need to press for an upgrade.

If the price here is the same as the Ren St. P, I would probably choose the Ren because of the lounge since both places have a good gym and a pool, although the Ren rooms are small and upgrades to Chambers is non existent.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:51 pm

I liked the LM and for a time it was my go-to. But the Sheraton Park Lane is just so much better. They had an exceptional GM for a time who has now moved on, but I have always had great upgrades (either as Plat or with suite nights). They value loyalty and have never played games. Lounge is decent enough and I prefer the location to LM (Shepherd Market is great).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Le Méridien Piccadilly junior suites

Do the junior suites at this hotel have actually two rooms (ie, one with the bed, then a separate area with a sofa bed) with a door that can be closed resulting in two separate areas?

We'll be traveling with our teenage daughter, and we'd prefer something like that.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
see post 594 in the Le Meridien Piccadilly master thread. Admittedly, a bit dated.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Last edited by bosman; Jul 22, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: added context
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Do the junior suites at this hotel have actually two rooms (ie, one with the bed, then a separate area with a sofa bed) with a door that can be closed resulting in two separate areas?

We'll be traveling with our teenage daughter, and we'd prefer something like that.

Thanks!
No, just one oversized room with a sofa bed, and sometimes some additional seating.
fliesdelta likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
My jr. suite had a bedroom and bathroom that was private. Then the sofa bed was in the main area but there was a second full bath out there as well. So we all had privacy. So long as my wife and I closed our door.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by myperks
welcome amenity I chose breakfast being that it was long stay. Served in the terrace restaurant on the 2nd floor. Not the best spread but a good selection of continental stuff and hot full English. You can order included items off the menu as well. Tasted the same after a couple of days.
@myperks - I'm staying here in a few weeks time and will ask for breakfast in the terrace restaurant as my amenity. Is everything free, even if you order things off the menu?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Lore
@myperks - I'm staying here in a few weeks time and will ask for breakfast in the terrace restaurant as my amenity. Is everything free, even if you order things off the menu?
there are two sides to the menu. The left side is a la carte full dishes NOT INCLUDED such as Benedicts and such and the right side such as omelette, eggs, pancakes, waffles, and espresso drinks INCLUDED. The included buffet has the continental and full English.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by myperks
there are two sides to the menu. The left side is a la carte full dishes NOT INCLUDED such as Benedicts and such and the right side such as omelette, eggs, pancakes, waffles, and espresso drinks INCLUDED. The included buffet has the continental and full English.
Thank you - that helps! I stayed here about a year ago and only ate in the lounge which I found to be extremely underwhelming. Looking forward to a better experience this time around!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I'm guessing FTers are avoiding the LMP, since there's been no post in this thread for 6 months. Just spent a few days here, and unfortunately the consensus seems pretty well borne out.

I spent probably 100+ nights here in 2012-2013 and have not been back since (have been mostly at the St Pancras and Marriott Park Lane). Towards the end of my time here (in 2013) they were trying out some new room designs which were pretty modern/updated, so in 2020 I was expecting to find a completely refreshed property. Alas, I should've done my research.

Location is still excellent, assuming you're here for theatre, touristy stuff or the tube access - very walkable. Service was inconsistent, and the old girl is definitely past due for room refurbishment.

As a titanium, I was "upgraded" to a "club" room, in the back corner of the hotel. As others have noted, the rooms are inconsistent. This one was spacious by London standards, but a little awkwardly laid out, and with no more furniture/function than smaller rooms. The additional floor space is nice, but could be put to much better use if they had a larger/more flexible catalog of furniture to select from.

Carpets still have large mysterious stains on them. Upholstered furniture still somewhat worn, and a bit too low (I'm 6'1"). Casegoods all still quite scuffed and scratched, and, design-wise, still weirdly out of step with the modern Le Meridien aesthetic and Eames-style desk chairs.

A change to auto-sensing minibar fridges has apparently required the relocation of the minibar from the TV console to the (small) wardrobe, which means there are no drawers/shelves in the wardrobe. Anything you'd like to unpack that doesn't hang must be stored across the room, in the tv cabinet which has only shelves, no drawers. Not that big a deal, just more unnecessary awkwardness.

Beds are good, if a little low - medium firmness, clean/recent linens, no major craters in the mattress. Pillows are a matter of taste: my king bed had two firm-ish foam pillows and two flat-ish feather pillows, none of which were very lumpy.

Floors still very creaky and walls still thin (though this room had a connecting door, which no doubt exacerbates that issue).

Bathroom is "updated" (I estimate mid-2000s - at least the sink has a single mixing tap) but a similarly poor use of space - shower-over-tub (with a curtain, no glass), with a large and not-useful open space next to it. Very poor water pressure in the shower - sink was OK.

Lounge has benefitted from the addition of a coffee/espresso machine, otherwise unchanged. It's kept pretty up to date, lounge attendants were helpful and friendly. Breakfast offering is both more limited and of lower quality than that in the restaurant.

Gym and pool are very good and an unusual feature for such a centrally-located hotel.

The bar is now branded a "magic bar" with live magic several nights a week. I did not have a chance to check it out.

I'm back in London in a week at the other end of this trip, had booked here but have now moved to another property. Guess I'll check back in another few years!
Horace and unclepants like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by rudling
I'm guessing FTers are avoiding the LMP, since there's been no post in this thread for 6 months. Just spent a few days here, and unfortunately the consensus seems pretty well borne out.

I spent probably 100+ nights here in 2012-2013 and have not been back since (have been mostly at the St Pancras and Marriott Park Lane). Towards the end of my time here (in 2013) they were trying out some new room designs which were pretty modern/updated, so in 2020 I was expecting to find a completely refreshed property. Alas, I should've done my research.

Location is still excellent, assuming you're here for theatre, touristy stuff or the tube access - very walkable. Service was inconsistent, and the old girl is definitely past due for room refurbishment.

As a titanium, I was "upgraded" to a "club" room, in the back corner of the hotel. As others have noted, the rooms are inconsistent. This one was spacious by London standards, but a little awkwardly laid out, and with no more furniture/function than smaller rooms. The additional floor space is nice, but could be put to much better use if they had a larger/more flexible catalog of furniture to select from.

Carpets still have large mysterious stains on them. Upholstered furniture still somewhat worn, and a bit too low (I'm 6'1"). Casegoods all still quite scuffed and scratched, and, design-wise, still weirdly out of step with the modern Le Meridien aesthetic and Eames-style desk chairs.

A change to auto-sensing minibar fridges has apparently required the relocation of the minibar from the TV console to the (small) wardrobe, which means there are no drawers/shelves in the wardrobe. Anything you'd like to unpack that doesn't hang must be stored across the room, in the tv cabinet which has only shelves, no drawers. Not that big a deal, just more unnecessary awkwardness.

Beds are good, if a little low - medium firmness, clean/recent linens, no major craters in the mattress. Pillows are a matter of taste: my king bed had two firm-ish foam pillows and two flat-ish feather pillows, none of which were very lumpy.

Floors still very creaky and walls still thin (though this room had a connecting door, which no doubt exacerbates that issue).

Bathroom is "updated" (I estimate mid-2000s - at least the sink has a single mixing tap) but a similarly poor use of space - shower-over-tub (with a curtain, no glass), with a large and not-useful open space next to it. Very poor water pressure in the shower - sink was OK.

Lounge has benefitted from the addition of a coffee/espresso machine, otherwise unchanged. It's kept pretty up to date, lounge attendants were helpful and friendly. Breakfast offering is both more limited and of lower quality than that in the restaurant.

Gym and pool are very good and an unusual feature for such a centrally-located hotel.

The bar is now branded a "magic bar" with live magic several nights a week. I did not have a chance to check it out.

I'm back in London in a week at the other end of this trip, had booked here but have now moved to another property. Guess I'll check back in another few years!
Its such a shame, I like you used to stay at this hotel an awful lot around a decade ago and it is suffering from the issue of its location. Its so good it can still sell its rooms for a decent rate which means the owners don't spend money on upating it, just the minimum to keep it going. There was even then as you point out talk of refurbishments and the closest it got was the lifts being replaced and that seemed to take forever.

It will probably get to the point one day where the entire property will have to close and be gutted because so little has been spent on it over the years, but I feear this is a long time off unless somehow new owners with vision come along, for now though its a cash cow for them and thus its never going to change which must be disheatening for the staff who have to excuse the issues to guests!
unclepants likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I agree that it's a great pity, as the location is so convenient for me (I spend a lot of my London time at the ROH and West End theatres). As an Ambassador, I was treated well there on my last stay, but the creaky floors drove me crazy, and even though I took breakfast in the restaurant as my amenity and thereby avoided that pathetic lounge, I thought the breakfast was subpar and rather unpleasant.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As noted in the "Hotels leaving Bonvoy" thread, according to the hotel website :

"Please note-Hotel will no longer be a member of Marriott Bonvoy from 26th Nov 2020, benefits will not apply on stays after this date"
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:00 am

What’s it switching out to? Always had a soft spot for here, I know others aren’t much of a fan
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:44 pm

Just completed a short stay here. Executive lounge is closed, and free soft drinks are provided in the restaurant all day instead. Also complimentary food (starter, sandwiches & burgers) from 5pm to 7pm, which was a surprising move! (I don't know of any other hotel in Western Europe that'd offer this kind of compensation.)

I was told it's switching to a Kew Green hotel, but after checking I think it's just a management company rather than franchise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.