Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:09 pm
MKB
Original Poster

Arrow [LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

I had an award stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly, London, on New Year's Eve this past week. I confirmed at check-in that I had a 4pm late check-out and that the keys had been cut to work until 4pm.

So I was not pleased to get a phone call from the front desk at 11am when I was fast asleep asking me what time I was leaving. I reminded the man on the line that I had a 4pm check-out and explained he had woken me up. He didn't even apologise.

Bizarrely, I then had another phone call at 2.30pm from "the Duty Manager" asking if I was okay. She said they had phoned the room several times and knocked on the door -- the one with the "Do Not Disturb" sign on it -- but I had not answered and they were concerned for my safety. I had popped out for half an hour, hence missing the further disturbances to my privacy, none of which should have taken place until after 4pm.

The rooms at this property are looking very old and tired. Housekeeping on my room looked like it had been a rushed and incomplete affair. A solid hair band left by a previous guest was in one of the bathrooms. There were very few toiletries -- certainly none of the ones that this property used to leave in suites -- and just one small bar of soap to share between the two bathrooms. The voucher for a free drink that they give to SPG Platinums and Golds went unused as the bar had already closed when I returned at 2am, which seemed odd given it was New Year's Eve in a five-star hotel in the centre of London.

Every recent stay at London Starwoods has had service issues. Last month, I tried the Sofitel St James (which is about a three-minute walk from Le Méridien) and the Marriott Grosvenor House, and they brought home to me just how much Starwood quality has fallen behind the competition in the UK.

It's a shame, because, with a little bit of TLC, this could be a great property.

/mod

Prior reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

mod/

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MKB
Last month, I tried the Sofitel St James (which is about a three-minute walk from Le Méridien) and the Marriott Grosvenor House, and they brought home to me just how much Starwood quality has fallen behind the competition in the UK.
Were Sofitel St James and Marriott Grosvenor House much better, or were they about the same level as Le Méridien? Or, which one was better? I'm wondering because I'm on a hunt for a hotel to become my 'favourite London haunt'. I'm starting with Starwood properties (so far I've booked Le Méridien Piccadilly, Sheraton Park Tower, Sheraton Belgravia and Sheraton Park Lane for my next visit - I'm mattress hopping to test 4 out) but would like to hear your feedback about Sofitel and Mariott in comparison to Le Méridien.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MKB
Every recent stay at London Starwoods has had service issues. Last month, I tried the Sofitel St James (which is about a three-minute walk from Le Méridien) and the Marriott Grosvenor House, and they brought home to me just how much Starwood quality has fallen behind the competition in the UK.
While I love the Sheraton Belgravia, I can't say I'm a favorite of the other Starwoods in London. However the Sofitel St. James is easily the best hotel in it's class in London. The beds are as good or better than any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton and way better than Heavenly Beds. I love that hotel, but it's kind of pricy at times. Maybe now with the bankers all in retreat it is more reasonable?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:56 am
MKB
Original Poster

The only thing to watch out for with the Sofitel (as with so many city hotels) is that many rooms look out on to brick walls with very little natural light.

The nice thing about the Grosvenor House Marriott is the lounge, which is open on weekends and includes free alcohol. It has a very relaxed and cosy atmosphere. The rooms are newly refurbished. I was very lucky and managed to get an 8th floor one facing East which had a great view of the London cityscape.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If it comes to Starwoods, it is either the LM or the Sheraton Belgravia for me. I had wonderful experiences at both places and never ever had any reason to complain during maybe 10 stays in the last two years.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MKB
The only thing to watch out for with the Sofitel (as with so many city hotels) is that many rooms look out on to brick walls with very little natural light.

The nice thing about the Grosvenor House Marriott is the lounge, which is open on weekends and includes free alcohol. It has a very relaxed and cosy atmosphere. The rooms are newly refurbished. I was very lucky and managed to get an 8th floor one facing East which had a great view of the London cityscape.
Thank you for your feedback on Sofitel. The lack of natural light bothers me. I have a sun sensitivity so I try to avoid excessive natural sunlight anyway (not that it would be much of a risk in the UK I guess ), so it doesn't bother me too much.

Also about Marriott, I guess the lounge wouldn't apply to me as I don't have any Marriott status, but the lounge could well be worth bearing in mind if I choose Marriott as my regular London hotel.

Thank you Stimpy and Flying Lawyer as well.

I'm glad to hear you were pleased with Sheraton Belgravia. I guess I'll have to try them all out and see, but it's still good to hear positive things about it.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
Were Sofitel St James and Marriott Grosvenor House much better, or were they about the same level as Le Méridien? Or, which one was better? I'm wondering because I'm on a hunt for a hotel to become my 'favourite London haunt'. I'm starting with Starwood properties (so far I've booked Le Méridien Piccadilly, Sheraton Park Tower, Sheraton Belgravia and Sheraton Park Lane for my next visit - I'm mattress hopping to test 4 out) but would like to hear your feedback about Sofitel and Mariott in comparison to Le Méridien.
I stayed at the GS marriott last month. I thought the hotel was ok. Good restaurants, but the walls are pretty thin. I have no status with them. I think the LM is ok, great location, if you get an upgrade, otherwise I like the Park Lane Sheraton better, as I seem to always get upgrades. No lounges at the two spg properties.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:52 pm

Thank you for the info Chanp. I don't have any status at Marriott either. In fact, I've been mattress hopping too much to build any status with anyone yet, although I decided to concentrate more on two organisations, one being Starwood and the other possibility being Marriott.

Thank you for the recommendation for Park Lane - by my 2nd visit there I should have a status with Starwood so here's hoping, although I'm not expecting it.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:54 pm
BCH

I've stayed 4 times at LM Piccadilly in 2008, and each time I regretted that my choice. (I choose it solely because of Starpoint-earning ability and location).

On 2 of my most recent trips to London, I discovered The Trafalgar Hilton (equally terrific location) and that sealed the deal. The Trafalgar is modern, comfortable, and staffed with friendly and professional staff.

I'm Starwood Plat, staying over 100 nights a year. I've stayed at some great properties and some okay ones, but Le Meridien Piccadilly is a disgrace. And staff members do not care.

Originally Posted by aussiechris
I am organizing a reward stay probably at the LM for a number of days.
Any recent comments/reviews/suggestions?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 3:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I stayed at LM Piccadilly a few days ago. It was generally fine - staff were friendly and helpful enough, and very close to Waterstones (across the road) and the tube station.

One problem - I was in one of their newly renovated room, and the shower screen does not extend far enough. The water was literally everywhere. It was the case of 'it looks nice, but it's rather dysfunctional'.

Also there was no bath in this room, although it did not inconvenience me as I am more of a shower person, generally speaking.

There was also no shower gel provided, and the fragrance of the Hermes soap wasn't really to my liking.

Air conditioning system was a little weird. I set the temperature to 24 degrees (the room temperature at the time was 20 degrees from memory) and turned on the fan to 'low' setting. The temperature kept going down. Same thing continued when I tried the fan on 'high' setting. It appeared that it only worked as I expected when it the fan was turned off. The room temperature never climbed above 22 degrees though.

Also the loo button kept sticking which meant the water kept running on until I fiddled with the button, which was somewhat irritating (called maintenance but they just said 'you have to jiggle the button a bit' or something to that effect).

Overall, the room was of fairly good size for London and the décor was OK. If you have an optical mouse, make sure you have a mouse mat though - the red glass top table does not mix too well with it.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:43 am
Community Director Emerita

This property is obviously one where YMMV. I love it. I see handles of folks whom I respect who have had very bad stay experiences. For me, it is the ideal location in London. I love theatre, as well as some restaurants and shops that are easy walking distance from the hotel. It's right on the Piccadilly Line coming in from LHR.

The Guest Services Manager is the finest I have met anywhere. I deal almost exclusively with him, so I can't speak to any service downfalls with other staff. We have just stayed here again. We were given a full suite. It's a bit shabby; TVs are the old small CRTs, and bedding is badly outdated. However, it was very spacious and comfortable.

There is a cozy small bar to the right of the reception area, down a few steps. It's a nice place to sit and visit with friends.

Obviously, buyer beware. But then folks say that about the Park Lane Sheraton. As a platinum, I've been cared for well and will return.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
SanDiago1K I couldnt agree more with everything you put! We ahve just returned from a weekend there and have stayed there many times in the past couple of years! We were also upgraded to a full suite which is you say are showing their age a little, but it would be big enough to have a small party in! While the rooms are tired they are clean and have everything you could need!
My main point I wanted to agree with you on is the customer service, I wondered who youj dealt with there as we deal with D.M, as I dont want to give out his full name but find him to be simply superb! we have on occasion spoken to other members of the Guest Services team and find them to be very good also! We noted on our last stay there seems to be a more settled feel to the reception staff as well now which is good as its always nice to see the same faces on return trips, plus they are starting to know us as well!

We also like the little bar which feels right in the character of the hotel and also enjoy the Terrace for dinner on occasions! The 750 bonus starpoints if you book breakfast before you arrive is also a nice little extra!

It would appear from this thread not everyone has the same opinion, but if you do have a issue try talking to the Guest Services as I have found them to be about as good as any hotel I have stayed in!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This property is obviously one where YMMV. I love it. I see handles of folks whom I respect who have had very bad stay experiences. For me, it is the ideal location in London. I love theatre, as well as some restaurants and shops that are easy walking distance from the hotel. It's right on the Piccadilly Line coming in from LHR.

The Guest Services Manager is the finest I have met anywhere. I deal almost exclusively with him, so I can't speak to any service downfalls with other staff. We have just stayed here again. We were given a full suite. It's a bit shabby; TVs are the old small CRTs, and bedding is badly outdated. However, it was very spacious and comfortable.

There is a cozy small bar to the right of the reception area, down a few steps. It's a nice place to sit and visit with friends.

Obviously, buyer beware. But then folks say that about the Park Lane Sheraton. As a platinum, I've been cared for well and will return.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:54 am
Community Director Emerita

toddml, yes, we are both talking about D.M. - a true treasure.

He mentioned that the hotel is going to have a club lounge - but I've forgotten the timing. By any chance, did he mention this to you?

He told us that the hotel has 35 to 40 gold and platinum guests each day.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
toddml, yes, we are both talking about D.M. - a true treasure.

He mentioned that the hotel is going to have a club lounge - but I've forgotten the timing. By any chance, did he mention this to you?

He told us that the hotel has 35 to 40 gold and platinum guests each day.
I have heard the same thing, although not sure on the date either, that said I think with the current financial issues he and other staff there are doing very well as I know they keep getting told different dates for a refurb that is suppost to happen and obviously the lift issues which I am glad to say the new lift seems to be helping with an awful lot! Its getting the refurb committed to that is driving them all crazy I think! That said I love the hotel now but have to say done right with its location and the health club it could really be one of the hotels on London! With a W opening up in a couple of years just down in L.Square you would think the owners would want to steal a march on that!

As I understand it the weighting is heavily to Gold rather than Platinum, but I guess this no doubt varies day to day!

It is very true however D.M. is fantastic, by far the best GS Manager I have ever met!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Website indicates the club lounge is now open. Has anyone been able to check out the lounge yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.