Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
How is this property's recent track record on SPG Plat upgrades to suites?

Am thinking about booking for an upcoming stay where I will need two beds and wondering whether to force the issue and push hard for a suite with a rollaway bed brought in or if an executive room with 2 Q beds would be a more realistic upgrade to seek...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
How is this property's recent track record on SPG Plat upgrades to suites?

Am thinking about booking for an upcoming stay where I will need two beds and wondering whether to force the issue and push hard for a suite with a rollaway bed brought in or if an executive room with 2 Q beds would be a more realistic upgrade to seek...
We always seem to get upgraded, but we have stayed there quite a lot on know the Senior GSM that SanDiego1K refers to so would have to say it may not be the best guide! I would say at a weekend you would have a decent chance but during the week might be more hit and miss! I certainly have heard plenty of Plats getting an upgrade to suites but at the same time if they are busy dont bank on it!

Have you ever stayed there before or would this be your first time?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by toddml
We always seem to get upgraded, but we have stayed there quite a lot on know the Senior GSM that SanDiego1K refers to so would have to say it may not be the best guide! I would say at a weekend you would have a decent chance but during the week might be more hit and miss! I certainly have heard plenty of Plats getting an upgrade to suites but at the same time if they are busy dont bank on it!

Have you ever stayed there before or would this be your first time?

It would be my first stay at the property.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
It would be my first stay at the property.
All I can say is the old saying you can hope but there are no promises! I would say from experience you are likely to get an upgrade but it'll be 50/50 I would have thought to if its a suite!

Obviously you could drop an email to the hotel once you had booked mentioning the extra bed and I am sure they will do what they can to accomodate you but obviously the true response is if you want to know you have a suite you have to book one!

They will certainly upgrade Plats to suites but it would depend how busy the hotel is I am afraid! Over a weekend from what I can gather is usually quieter than during the week!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddml
All I can say is the old saying you can hope but there are no promises! I would say from experience you are likely to get an upgrade but it'll be 50/50 I would have thought to if its a suite!

Obviously you could drop an email to the hotel once you had booked mentioning the extra bed and I am sure they will do what they can to accomodate you but obviously the true response is if you want to know you have a suite you have to book one!

They will certainly upgrade Plats to suites but it would depend how busy the hotel is I am afraid! Over a weekend from what I can gather is usually quieter than during the week!
Thanks. Appreciate the input. It will be a Thu-Sun 3 night stay. I'm happy to see that suite upgrades are at least a possibility. Knowing how many properties flaunt the SPG program rules and do everything possible to deny suite upgrades it's nice to see that this one plays by the rules and treats Plats well.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:38 pm

We had another stay here this weekend and once again everything was very good! I just wanted to make a few observations:

There seems to be new flat TV's in all the suites now, not sure about normal guest rooms.

I have mentioned before how we find one of the Guest Service Managers there exceptional and a few other members have commented the same. I would just like to add that we have stayed a few times this year and he has been away another GSM is also very good, she is never to busy and always finds time to say hello and check everything is going well.

We stayed there last week just after the new Club Lounge opened and were very impressed as per my previous comments. We made a very small remark to them on that stay that the only thing missing was a toaster at breakfast. A week later on this stay the toaster has appeared, and yes there is bread with it! It is refreshing that rather than just say they want feedback they actually do want feedback and act on it! They have also updated the coffee machine as the original one had recieved some negative comments!

Suffice to say we have several more stays books and cant wait!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
at the hotel right now, upgraded to exec suite and waiting for it to be cleaned.

the new club lounge is certainly interesting, bit of a strange arrangement but its nice.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Two night stay under two separate reservations, first night was using the 2009 platinum free night award gift, and the second night from the 2008 Le Meridien 7 stay bonus.

Checked in at midnight on Saturday night (3/28) and upgraded to a club room on 2nd floor (facing Regent Street), was told that for our second night, we are confirmed in a junior suite. So, since it was late, we were fine with the club room. The room has a very high ceiling, with floor to ceiling window/french doors. The room was spacious. But, facing Regent Street, with the amount of traffic (even at 1-2AM) it was a bit loud for me. I think there is a night club below. I could still feel the vibration from the music playing below at 1AM. The manager on duty did called the club to lower the volume, which they did comply. I think the heater was broken in the room, so it's was very cold (I like it cold, but this was ridiculous).

The second night, we were upgrade to a Jr suite on the 7th floor. It's nice, but the ceiling was a bit low, so it felt a bit claustrophobic.

The club lounge on the Mezzanine level is small, but the lounge overlooks the lobby so it did not feel that small. There are 4 to 5 small tables with two sections of sofa. Breakfast was fine and so was the evening hor' dorves.

The hotel is very close to the Piccadilly Line (maybe about 100 feet away), so it was very convenient for us to hop around. Just wish we had more time in London. Now that this hotel is Category 5, I'm sure it would be booked solid.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Why would anyone need heater during these weather, I had the air-con on at full blast and the temperature was just nice.

I found the offerings at the lounge to be very poor, not a single hot item during breakfast (unless you pay for it) and very limitted coffee selection. Evening cocktails wasnt any better. The atmosphere at the lounge was quite nice though.

The executive room appeared to have been refurbished but the loose furnitures (writing desk,bedside stand etc) were very worn (and stained) to the point of being an eyesore. Outer window wouldnt even close properly, if not for the double windows noise would have been a major problem.

Apart from the excellent location, I cannot imagine staying here again. I would rate the Sheraton Park Tower to be at least 2-3 notch above the Le Meridien Piccadilly.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mario33
Why would anyone need heater during these weather, I had the air-con on at full blast and the temperature was just nice.
Typically, I would never turn on the heater, but at 36F or 2C, and no insulation from the floor to ceiling window, I want it. Were you in London last weekend? It was very COLD.

I do agree with your assessment of the furnitures, windows etc. Lounges Stateside are worst. Furthermore, the lounge does not compare near the lounges found in KUL or other Asian cities.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sink
Typically, I would never turn on the heater, but at 36F or 2C, and no insulation from the floor to ceiling window, I want it. Were you in London last weekend? It was very COLD.
Checked-in on Sunday and my room was facing Piccadilly, so no full height windows. I was a little concerned the air-con wouldnt work and was contemplating opening the windows but the air-con worked fine (but a little noisy at full blast).
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
funny three of us were there same weekend and probably ran into each other in the lounge w/o knowing it.

i had an exec suite and found it to be relatively spacious for a European hotel, but very worn out. its a shame b/c the location is great.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
We are staying Friday and Saturday (burning our last 2 MFN vouchers) so will hopefully update then. I wasn't informed of a lounge on our last stay 13-15 Feb. I have noted that Meridien properties are not compelled to offer lounge access to Plats unlike Sheratons and Westins but I have only encountered this issue at the Meridien Ile Maurice up til now. Hopefully we will get access at the weekend.
I'm thinking about staying here next weekend. Can any plats confirm that you have indeed been granted club access? I'd love to hear any recent stay reports as well.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm thinking about staying here next weekend. Can any plats confirm that you have indeed been granted club access? I'd love to hear any recent stay reports as well.
I'm currently writing this from the LM Piccadilly; it's my second one-night stay in the past week. I can confirm that as a Platinum I was granted club access without any problem. Actually, none of the staff explained or pointed out club acceess, I simply showed up - given that all of the elevators stop at the mezzanine level and simply open up into the club makes restricting access difficult.

That being said, a member of the club staff will eventually approach you and request and record your room number, so they do seem to be monitoring it closely.

Personally, I found the club to be rather nice. As mentioned above, no hot items at breakfast, however the wide range of baked goods, cereal, fresh salmon, etc. made it better than most club offerings that I've seen in the US. Evenings are quite nice as well with occasional hot items being brought up from the kitchen; the last night that I went down an entire iberian ham leg was ripe for the slicing; plent of booze was flowing as well.

I think the key for the LM is to try to obtain a renovated room. You're really dealing with two hotels here, and the unrenovated rooms are downright shabby - bordering near Park Lane levels. The renovated rooms are actually pretty decent - not all the way to Park Tower standards, but better than the average room at the Belgravia. It's frequent to get upgraded to a Junior Suite, which will be sizable for a city like London. However both the renovated and unrenovated floors have suites.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
Yes I received club access last week as a plat, however I had to ask about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.