Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Hat tip to TerryK for letting us know exec lounge open. "It is open. Not so impressive lounge with standard continental breakfast. Evening spread is wine and cheese only."
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:56 am

I second BCH's comments. The hotel is fine, but not a first class hotel.
Yes, it's not next to Etoile, it's next to the Mallot Convention Center, but you can walk (through a pretty nice area). The Air France busses stop direct in front of the hotel.
I got it through Priceline (4-star hotel) for $119.23 Still, they recognized my Starwood Gold with some 'specials'. The staff was friendly and professional.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
My parents stayed here a few weeks ago and had similar things to say as the others. Their room was very small, as was their bathrooms. They experienced good service from the staff but overall were disappointed with the caliber of the property itself. Old furniture, 20-year old decorations, tired.

If you have a choice, there are much classier 4* and 5* properties in Paris.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat & CK, SPG Plat, UA Exec Premier
Thanks for all your responses...seemed pretty discouraging...I booked two nights at the Murano Resort in Paris for about EUR325 and one night at the Shearton CDG to get my stay!

Thanks again
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by sak712
Thanks for all your responses...seemed pretty discouraging...I booked two nights at the Murano Resort in Paris for about EUR325 and one night at the Shearton CDG to get my stay!
Sorry, it was not my intention to discourage you. The hotel is OK, our room was renovated .. and the location is good. Murano Resort is between Place de la Republic and Marais ...not bad, but not my favorite location
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:37 pm

I was a guest at the LM Etoile just prior to the property becoming part of Starwood. Overall, while the lobby was appealing, the rooms were nothing spectacular, given the rate that I paid. My view was of the courtyard. The location is not bad, as others have mentioned, it is directly across the street from the Air France bus stop, which is very convenient and the metro as well. Buses are easily boarded heading to Le Etoile.

I have also stayed at the Prince de Galles and while the location is fantastic, the hotel itself is rather worn.

My most recent stays have been at the new Hilton, which is the nicest of all these hotels, in my opinion.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Stay at Le Meridien Etoile - August 2007

I checked in at Le Meridien Etoile on Thursday for one paid night and one night using points. Upon checking in, was recognized as a Plat immediately and sent to the 8th floor for the Club President personalized concierge assisted check-in; a very nice setup.

I was given a room on the 9th floor (top floor) with a decent view of Paris, but partially obstructed by the gigantic Concorde Lafayette Hotel across the street as well as other buildings. The room itself is small by US standard, but it is typical of most hotel rooms for business hotels in Paris (in fact, one could argue that the room size is "generous" for Paris ).

I was concerned that it would be a "glorified Holiday Inn type" hotel as the thread had suggested, but I am quite pleased that the furnishings for my room are quite nice (blond woods and very modern touches), and the flat screen plasma TV is also very nice. The hallways are heavy carpeting and the walls and doors are made of classy beautiful dark wood like on a cruise ship and not cheap and cheesy at all. This is no "Holiday Inn" thingy.

The lobby is very modern and busy, and the taxis are plentiful at the front door, but you may not need them at all (see below).

In some way, this is a very traditional French hotel where the toilet is in a separate closet from the tiny bathroom, which has a bidet installed for the French ladies. And traditional French bathrooms have this irritating half glass shower door which does not stop any water from being sprayed all over the floor whenever you take a shower - this is because these French hotels expect you to either take a bath or use the hand held shower head to bath with instead of taking the long shower that I prefer.

Since I have been upgraded to the Club President floors (8th & 9th floor), I have access to the Club President lounge, where a decent breakfast spread is served free of charge: eggs, bacon, potatoes, smoked salmon, cheeses, the fine saucisses and French ham that I love and the wonderful French yogurts in a glass jar, extremely good orange juice, a basket full of croissants and french baguettes on each table, and good French coffee and international teas. A very respectable breakfast buffet indeed which you can enjoy indoors or on the terrace offering a partial view of the Eiffel Tower. I presume that Plat members would have access to this lounge but I am not 100% sure.

However, after the breakfast, the lounge only offers Evian and Perrier waters along with coffee and tea for free. All other drinks will be "billed to your room".

Location-wise, this hotel is extremely convenient:
1) the Car Air France buses will take you from CDG Terminal 1 and 2 directly across the street from the hotel for 13 euros one way or 20 euros R/T - cannot be beat.
2) you can go to the Porte Maillot subway stop (3 minutes walk) and 5 to 7 minutes later, you will be in the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees using the Yellow Metro line. Another 5 minutes will take you right to the Tuileries stop where all the fancy shops of the Place Vendome and Rue St Honoree are, as well as an easy walk to the Louvre Museum.
3) from the hotel, you can have a 10 minutes walk to the very fashionable suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine with all the fashionable shops and restaurants.
4) by Metro from the Porte Maillot stop, you are no more than 12 minutes to the business district of La Defense (where my office is)
5) the hotel's location in the Porte Maillot boast lots of restaurants and has a small train station (going where I do not know)
6) finally, the Palais des Congres across the street from the hotel has a pretty nice shopping center where you can buy all kinds of things, from clothings to shoes, to CDs to gourmet foods to souvenirs.

All in all, it's a decent stay! Certainly not my best experience of Paris (having stayed at the Westin Paris, Prince de Galles, Hilton Arc de Triomphe, Marriott Champs Elysees, etc), but at my corporate rate of 180 euros (regular rate seems to run at around 240 euros) it's not a bad deal. The 12,000 points needed for a free night (Cat 5 hotel) seems fair.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by sapguy
I checked in at Le Meridien Etoile on Thursday for one paid night and one night using points. Upon checking in, was recognized as a Plat immediately and sent to the 8th floor for the Club President personalized concierge assisted check-in; a very nice setup.
I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience at this hotel. Your experience is not all that different that the experience the Mrs. and I had there a couple years back.

Do they still have the Jazz lounge off the lobby?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP

All in all, it's a decent stay! Certainly not my best experience of Paris (having stayed at the Westin Paris, Prince de Galles, Hilton Arc de Triomphe, Marriott Champs Elysees, etc), but at my corporate rate of 180 euros (regular rate seems to run at around 240 euros) it's not a bad deal. The 12,000 points needed for a free night (Cat 5 hotel) seems fair.
I agree with Sapguy, the corporate rates as well as the location/transport for a foreigner (no prejudice!) is very convenient. The breakfast is good either way ( ie upstair or downstairs!) Rooms are good, I stay there quite a few times with my company and I quite like it for short stay,no wife ( not really a romantic place/rooms and space!). I prefer the german sheratons/meridiens - there are bigger and nicer).

My only critisicism is the reception/ lobby lounge ( where the jazz still takes place/ can be quite lively at times!) and eating place. It is like being at a train station, there are far too many people coming in and out the lobby/dining place!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I believe it is owned by Air France- but not sure-
Actually, Le Meridien chain of hotels was launched by Air France, about the same time as Pan Am launched InterContinental hotels, I think. It was subsequently sold to Nomura before being purchased by Starwood Hotels.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by zerbib
I quite like it for short stay,no wife ( not really a romantic place/rooms and space!).
LOL, zerbib. I completely agree with you on that one. However, my wife saw a few pics of my room and told me that she would not mind staying at LM Etoile during our next trip to Paris (scheduled for the early spring) - she likes the convenience of the transportation part.

I told her that it's OK, we will go back to the Westin Paris since we will be using points anyway - she's used to that standard of luxury ^ Plus the romance of walkin the Place Vendome, the Rue St Honoree, etc, etc...
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Aeroplan
Thanks sapguy for the detailed and new review! I am thinking of staying there on points in January and don't want to shell out the big points for the Westin! This looks like a good bet and a better bet than the Montparnasse too!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:22 am
SLF

Programs: Various
sapguy's post reflects this Plat's experience too. I'd have no problems about returning. Note however that the restaurant is expensive, although there are other nearby dining options if you prefer.
Originally Posted by griffinj
Do they still have the Jazz lounge off the lobby?
Yes, but there is a cover charge to get in. Which is great if you want to listen to the jazz, but is no so great if you've had a long day and just want to sit down in the bar & have a quiet drink or three.

If the weather is nice, eating breakfast on the Club Lounge terrace looking out over the roof tops is a "must do"!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zerbib
The breakfast is good either way ( ie upstair or downstairs!)
I tried the restaurant for breakfast during my stay in March. The restaurant was extremely busy and the selection for breakfast buffet wasn't that appealing. I immediately left and went upstairs to theClub Lounge. The quality of the food in the Club Lounge was better and the atmosphere was much nicer and quieter than the restaurant.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
Had an average at best stay here this week. Paid €350 for an room on the presidents floor. Went straight to the floor to check in, there was someone already checking in which took an age. Only one person doing check in, another lady came, picked something off the desk and walked off.

it would have been quicker to do it downstairs.

Was given a very small room with a view to the rear (car park, ugly buildings). No advantage of being a gold member. Breakfast was ok though. Internet was advertised at €25 but I got charged €15. Still pricey.

I wouldn't stay again on my own money.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP
Wink apalling service! Meridien europe are barred!!!

LOL, zerbib. I completely agree with you on that one. However, my wife saw a few pics of my room and told me that she would not mind staying at LM Etoile during our next trip to Paris (scheduled for the early spring) - she likes the convenience of the transportation part.

I told her that it's OK, we will go back to the Westin Paris since we will be using points anyway - she's used to that standard of luxury ^ Plus the romance of walkin the Place Vendome, the Rue St Honoree, etc, etc...
I stayed for the week end with the family on corporate rates last week end for the rugby. Frankly, it was the worst experience I had with bringing the family.
1. They checked us in (2 rooms) in smoking rooms, then they told us that they will find something, but we need to come back later ( checked in at 1.30pm- came back at 4pm)
We were thrown in into the 4th floor telling me that it is better!!
I complain on the 8th floor with some very poorly experience staffs. Not even the wine came ( as platinum client welcome gift!)
We were then moved back to the 8th floor with the embarrassment of moving into a room with presents and gift ( + wine) for a gold member. A letter was addressed to him. that was the final straw.
I literally went ballistic!!! I told them I want a reimbursement.
We are currently discussing it with the manager per email.
I have now barred all meridien as the service at 4 points hotels are distinctively higher!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.