Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
I stayed here for the Olympics (it was a nice train ride). I had a great room and great service. No complaints. The hotel is older, dated furniture, but nothing different than most of the high end spots in Italy.

What suprised me most was the fact that the "upscale" business district of Milan around the hotel was such a depressing slum (I was there over the weekend) - there was graffiti on every surface, nothing was open all weekend, and I kind of wondered where the "there" was.

However, I was just walking the three blocks to the train station and riding to Turin - and the hotel sure gave me a good nights sleep. Heavenly Bed, huge flat panel TV, nice accomdation.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by joelfreak
From my Traveladvisor post:

I booked a stay at this hotel for the final night of my week long trip to Italy, hoping to finish the trip in 5 star luxury before having to sit crammed in couch for 8 hours. I paid significantly more for this hotel than others that were avalible, because I have always had good experiences with Starwood properties. When I made the reservation, I made a request for a Non-Smoking room. A week before my visit, I called and confirmed that I would receive a non-smoking room. I called AGAIN 2 days before my arrival to make SURE that I would be getting a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that although I had requested a non-smoking room, none were avalible in the entire hotel for that night, and I would have to stay in a smoking room. This alone was enough to make my stay non-pleasurable, however this was the least of the problems on my stay. Upon arrival in my room, I discovered CAKED dirt on the carpet along ALL of the walls, enough that just rubbing your finger on the carpet would make your finger black. The door to my room was worn down at least 1/4 inch to the bare wood in one place, and next to the lock was a large hole that exposed the entire device. The TV in the room did not work until it was unplugged and 'rebooted', and the phones never worked at all. Upon complaints, all I could get was a verbal "I'm sorry, we are fully booked", but no offer for any compensation or solution. It was only upon complaining to Starwood Corporate that I was offered SPG points to "compensate" me for my "unfortunate experience", and they now deny that I ever was confirmed as non-smoking. I would stay FAR away from this property, as the Sol Media, where I stayed for the first night of my trip was 200% better than this property.
Well it sounds like you drew the short straw .It happens sometime.I had a similar expierience at the Starwood in Seville Spain. Hole in the couch,dirty carpet,smokey ,and to make it all worse,a manager who would not call back to see what was wrong
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
I stayed here for the Olympics (it was a nice train ride). I had a great room and great service. No complaints. The hotel is older, dated furniture, but nothing different than most of the high end spots in Italy.

What suprised me most was the fact that the "upscale" business district of Milan around the hotel was such a depressing slum (I was there over the weekend) - there was graffiti on every surface, nothing was open all weekend, and I kind of wondered where the "there" was.

However, I was just walking the three blocks to the train station and riding to Turin - and the hotel sure gave me a good nights sleep. Heavenly Bed, huge flat panel TV, nice accomdation.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Olympics!
In terms of an "upscale" business district- that would be closer to P.za Cavour- not around stazione centrale....
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked a stay at this hotel for the final night of my week long trip to Italy, hoping to finish the trip in 5 star luxury before having to sit crammed in couch for 8 hours. I paid significantly more for this hotel than others that were avalible, because I have always had good experiences with Starwood properties. When I made the reservation, I made a request for a Non-Smoking room. A week before my visit, I called and confirmed that I would receive a non-smoking room. I called AGAIN 2 days before my arrival to make SURE that I would be getting a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that although I had requested a non-smoking room, none were avalible in the entire hotel for that night, and I would have to stay in a smoking room. This alone was enough to make my stay non-pleasurable, however this was the least of the problems on my stay. Upon arrival in my room, I discovered CAKED dirt on the carpet along ALL of the walls, enough that just rubbing your finger on the carpet would make your finger black. The door to my room was worn down at least 1/4 inch to the bare wood in one place, and next to the lock was a large hole that exposed the entire device. The TV in the room did not work until it was unplugged and 'rebooted', and the phones never worked at all. Upon complaints, all I could get was a verbal "I'm sorry, we are fully booked", but no offer for any compensation or solution. It was only upon complaining to Starwood Corporate that I was offered SPG points to "compensate" me for my "unfortunate experience", and they now deny that I ever was confirmed as non-smoking. I would stay FAR away from this property, as the Sol Media, where I stayed for the first night of my trip was 200% better than this property.
Wow..terrible experience. If that happens again I would check out with documentation that no other room was available and go to another hotel. I have not had anything like this in the Westin.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:23 am
tyn

When I made the reservation, I made a request for a Non-Smoking room. A week before my visit, I called and confirmed that I would receive a non-smoking room. I called AGAIN 2 days before my arrival to make SURE that I would be getting a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that although I had requested a non-smoking room, none were avalible in the entire hotel for that night, and I would have to stay in a smoking room.
Was your reservation confirmed for non-smoking? I'm asking this because being in the travel business I know that some wholesaler rates only confirm rooms as run-of-the-house and the hotel can indeed not take into account your preference, no matter how many times you call them to say you would like non-smoking
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most economical way to go MXP to Westin Palace Milan?

I tried a search on this & came up with some information - rather than bumping up an old thread, I was wondering if anyone could confirm the most economical (time & money) way for me from MXP to the Westin Palace in Milan with 3 other people?

From what I've found, I believe that its taking the train from MXP to Milan's Cadorna station (RT is 14.50 euros per person) & then either cabbing to the hotel or taking a subway to Central station & walking. With 4 of us, that'd be just about 65 euros RT - which I'm assuming is cheaper than a RT on a cab - I imagine its more than 30 euros from MXP to the hotel?

Any suggestions/tips are appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If I remember, the bus from MXP was cheap and quick.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The shuttle bus from the airport to the train is another 1+ Euro, adding about 10 Euros RT to your train fare. Taxi is about 70 Euro each way.

The bus to Milan is about 5 Euro one-way but takes longer than the train, but not much longer when you factor in the shuttle time to the train station.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
1. You have some very outdated information about the prices on the Malpensa Express. It costs 14.50 Euro r/t only if you are returning on the same day. Otherwise, you have to buy two separate one-way tickets at 11 Euro each. The ride to Cadorna takes 40 minutes.

2. The bus costs 5 Euro (one way) and has the advantage -- in your case --of leaving you off at the central train station instead of Cadorna. The ride to the central train station takes 50 minutes (assuming there are no traffic problems).

3. Both the train and the bus leave from Terminal 1, and no shuttle bus is required to get to them. If you are at Terminal 2 there is a free shuttle bus to Terminal 1.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the clarification, Dov - I'm assuming that this is the shuttle service? http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm

Can anyone who has been to the Westin before provide me with (detailed) walking directions from Central Station where the bus drops one off to the hotel? I understand its about a 10 minute walk - which I'd prefer to do than grab a cab (depending on what kind of luggage everyone else will have - I'll most likely have just a backpack).

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I stay at Westin Palace a few times a year and take the Malpensena Express to
Bovisa Nord station (one of the few stops on this line). Then buy a ticket for the use the ATM (subway). I think is was about 1 euro. Then get off at Repubblica and there is the hotel about 100ft away.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LATV
I stay at Westin Palace a few times a year and take the Malpensena Express to
Bovisa Nord station (one of the few stops on this line). Then buy a ticket for the use the ATM (subway). I think is was about 1 euro. Then get off at Repubblica and there is the hotel about 100ft away.
Is that station an actual stop on the line? I saw the schedule here - http://www.malpensashuttle.it/mxp-mil.htm - it doesn't appear to be a scheduled stop.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Not very practical and IMO a very big pain in the a... but here is how to do it:
Get the bus that takes you into Milano from MXP accessible outside arrival terminal, which is going to run you 5Euros or so (i am guessing). It drops you off pretty centrally but you will have to take either the subway to "stazione centrale" or the tram (which is the cable car) to the same stop (stazione centrale). From there walk up towards "piazza della republica" and youll find it easy on your left, your about 5 blocks away depending what you take. Taxi from Westin to MXP w/o traffic is 80Eur with traffic Ive paid 110Euros at times... Good Luck.

Edited to note: Just read that there is a bus that goes directly to Stazione Centrale from MXP, take that one and it will drop you off blocks from where you want to be, again towards Piazza dela republica (south i think).
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Thanks for the clarification, Dov - I'm assuming that this is the shuttle service? http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm

Thanks!
Yes, that is the shuttle.

From the train station, if you insist on being extremely lazy, you can take the Metro one stop. You would get on the "Yellow" line in the direction of S. Donato and get off at Repubblica.

The alternative is to walk to Piazza Repubblica.

1. You walk out of the train station onto Via Ferrante and make a right, heading towards Piazza Duca d'Aostra. (1 block).

2. Walk through the piazza and exit it at Via Vitt. Pisani.

3. After 5 blocks Pisani comes to a dead end at Via Tunisia. Cross Via Tunisia and make either a left or a right (it doesn't matter which). Either way, within a few meters, will bring you to a smaller street. Walk along one of those smaller streets two blocks and you will be at Piazza Republicca. The Westin is located on the piazza.

Last edited by Dovster; Jun 11, 2006 at 7:30 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Dovster
From the train station, if you insist on being extremely lazy, you can take the Metro one stop. You would get on the "Yellow" line in the direction of S. Donato and get off at Repubblica.

The alternative is to walk to Piazza Repubblica.
By the time you get down and up the stairs to and from the station and schlepp to and from the platforms, you will have expended just about as much energy than making the walk that Dovster has suggested. If it's raining, then the Underground might make sense - as you see from this timetable, the trip from Centrale to Repubblicana is a short one:

http://www.atm-mi.it/Appl_ATM/eng/Or...=0&cb1=0&cb2=2

http://www.atm-mi.it/NR/rdonlyres/DE...mappametro.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.