Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Athenee Suite we got last month was not nearly so nice as that. It was spacious, but rather tired.
I have stayed at Athenee Suite last time and it was great. Do they have non-renovated ones or just quality vary that much?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I have stayed at Athenee Suite last time and it was great. Do they have non-renovated ones or just quality vary that much?
I don't know. This was not a renovated room.

I'm not complaining . . . it was spacious and we appreciated the upgrade, but it was nowhere near as nice as the Royal Club Suite in the photoes upthread. Had some mildew odor, but was tolerable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:44 pm

I don't know. This was not a renovated room.
And your stay was in 2019? That’s strange, I thought they had completed renovations for all their rooms.

I’m back there tomorrow night — if I meet a chatty agent I’ll ask them what % of rooms remain unreno’d.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I stayed here, I got one of the renovated red suites on a high floor with SNAs, so I was happy but the bathroom did seem dated, although it had lots of marble so I really couldn't complain, especially since AFAIK the seemingly dated appearance was the standard style in Thailand.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zzap
And your stay was in 2019? That’s strange, I thought they had completed renovations for all their rooms.
Yes. I don't see how a "renovated" floor could have the mildew odor, since that usually comes from the carpet. Which certainly did not look new.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yes. I don't see how a "renovated" floor could have the mildew odor, since that usually comes from the carpet. Which certainly did not look new.
Any property with a noticeable mildew odor is off my list. Not only do I find the odor, itself, quite unpleasant, but it can be symptomatic of a wide variety of problems, none of which I have any interest in encountering.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm very sensitive to mildew and didn't have a problem when I stayed here, although I have had problems elsewhere. In one very bad case it was attributed to a minor plumbing leak that had occurred previously where something (probably carpet in the entry area) remained wet after the leak was fixed. In some climates, mildew problems are common and require use of dehumidifiers.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm very sensitive to mildew and didn't have a problem when I stayed here
Same for me. If a hotel has a mildew problem or if AC vents are not very clean, I will have a stuffy nose all night. No issue at Athenee.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Same for me. If a hotel has a mildew problem or if AC vents are not very clean, I will have a stuffy nose all night. No issue at Athenee.
It would seem then to be floor specific, as there is another recent (and far more negative than mine) report of strong mildew odor at Athenee.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How does the laundry benefit compare here to SGS? It says 2 "pressing" per guest or day at Athenee. Any laundry? I think there was laundry at SGS too?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
How does the laundry benefit compare here to SGS? It says 2 "pressing" per guest or day at Athenee. Any laundry? I think there was laundry at SGS too?
Correct. I believe that laundry at SGS is two pieces er person per day. Does not include dry cleaning.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Correct. I believe that laundry at SGS is two pieces er person per day. Does not include dry cleaning.
I vaguely remember it as two pieces per person per stay (in a suite confirmed with SNAs as a SPG Plat 50). This was laundry, not dry cleaning, although IIRC you could opt for pressing instead.

ADDED: Sorry, this was for PA not SGS.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:58 pm

Just completed very brief stay. On points, "upgraded" to Royal Club room on 27. I think there were better rooms available but stay was so short I didn't care. No hint at all of the mustiness in the hallway or room that I commented on last time . . . think I was previously on an unrenovated floor, as this one looked much fresher. Room was quite nice, certainly nicer than the base room at SGS.

Had heard good things about the Rain Tree Cafe breakfast, but was mildly disappointed. No mango, many dishes empty and not replaced (at 7:30 am), Thai food options limited and bland. Service basically nonexistent after I got past the charming hostess. I did have to give up the 1000 point amenity for restaurant breakfast. Didn't really bother me, but I seem to recall reading that's a recent development.

Wifi was pretty slow at 8.6 mbps down. (I'm at SGS now, and just clocked 41.7)
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just completed very brief stay. On points, "upgraded" to Royal Club room on 27. I think there were better rooms available but stay was so short I didn't care. No hint at all of the mustiness in the hallway or room that I commented on last time . . . think I was previously on an unrenovated floor, as this one looked much fresher. Room was quite nice, certainly nicer than the base room at SGS.

Had heard good things about the Rain Tree Cafe breakfast, but was mildly disappointed. No mango, many dishes empty and not replaced (at 7:30 am), Thai food options limited and bland. Service basically nonexistent after I got past the charming hostess. I did have to give up the 1000 point amenity for restaurant breakfast. Didn't really bother me, but I seem to recall reading that's a recent development.

Wifi was pretty slow at 8.6 mbps down. (I'm at SGS now, and just clocked 41.7)
I got the same upgrade on a 3 nights stay recently.
I thought breakfast was good actually though I also noticed food wasn't replenish fast enough.
Internet wasn't the fastest but I still manage to stream a football match on my mobile. Somehow the tv screencast in my room wasn't working.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by shevboyz
I thought breakfast was good actually though I also noticed food wasn't replenish fast enough.
SGS is IMO much better for breakfast. And not replenishing items at 7:30 am is just inexcusable.

Every time I stay somewhere else in Bangkok, I'm reminded why SGS is my favorite.
Dr. HFH and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.