Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Physically I do find this hotel at/close to luxury-quality, but I'm afraid I reached the conclusion this hotel falls short of luxury-quality in service terms a while back.
The single "could be better" thing I can note on my stay there was a lack of welcome letter and/or fruit basket. Not a big deal anyway. Other than that, the property was amazing. Service at the lounge was great.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Service at the lounge was great.
Yup, gals in the lounge couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. It was also a civilized crowd this evening. Didn't see anyone shoveling food into ziplocks.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by escape4
I could be wrong but at that price I doubt it was the basic room (Athenee room). Most likely it was something higher such as the Prestige room.
Sorry for the late reply. I did make make a reservation at the Athenee with 7 night certificate, or thought I had. It seems I was Bonvoyed and the certificate wasn't attached on top of that even though a have/had well over a half million points the system had my reservation as a points advance reservation. With the March category change it became a problem to use the certificate. Luckily I was connected to a very good Marriott CSR, they still exist, and an even better Supervisor. My 7 night cat 1-4 cert was extended and converted to a Cat 1-5 cert and attached to a new reservation. This was the last week on Nov. and the prices for the room are for the 7 nights would have been -
for a Athenee, Guest room, 1 King, City view with pre pay/including tax/fees THB 47,219 (6,745/night),
But a points stay is the equivalent of a flex a standard rate stay which is at the Members rate for the 7 nights THB 56,948 (8,135/night)
I'm a Titanium elite with Marriott so even without an upgrade it more equivalent to a Club access room with is THB 72,955 for the 7 nights.

US$ 248/per night seem expensive for a Bangkok Hotel. Glad I'm using a Cat 1-4; 7 night certificate for the stay.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The single "could be better" thing I can note on my stay there was a lack of welcome letter and/or fruit basket. Not a big deal anyway. Other than that, the property was amazing. Service at the lounge was great.
That's my experience too. In December, I got a large fruit basket w/ chocolates and considered that more important than the absence of a welcoming letter. Service at the lounge super, as the concierge desk. Other stations in general very good.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Ripley62

US$ 248/per night seem expensive for a Bangkok Hotel. Glad I'm using a Cat 1-4; 7 night certificate for the stay.
What the focus to inflate the real value of your stay ?
​​​​​
actual price in Athenee doesn't match reality, changing hotel name and few renovation (lounge..) do not justify the new price tag. If you want better value try to LNF (and remove 100usd /night).

​​​​Using a certificate it's not my plan in Bkk, unless it's peak season.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was there for 2 nights in January and got a fruit basket, box with bags of dried fruits and nuts, and a chocolate chessboard with chocolate chess pieces.

Don't remember if I got a welcome letter or not.

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 7, 2019 at 10:36 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I was there for 2 nights in January and got a fruit basket, box with bags of dried fruits and nuts, and a chocolate chessboard with chocolate chess pieces.

Don't remember if I got a welcome letter or not.
Just finished my honeymoon stay from Feb 24 - 26 and nothing special from me except for the fruit basket, dried fruits/nuts and a chocolate chess pieces. I did use the SNA and it cleared but other then that Ambassador told them it was my honeymoon but nothing really special to be honest.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
What the focus to inflate the real value of your stay ?
​​​​​
actual price in Athenee doesn't match reality, changing hotel name and few renovation (lounge..) do not justify the new price tag. If you want better value try to LNF (and remove 100usd /night).

​​​​Using a certificate it's not my plan in Bkk, unless it's peak season.

​​​​​​
there aren’t a whole lot of option of Cat 4 Hotels that I’d want to spend 7 nights. The alternative is to take the cash out value of 45k points. So using this cert here actually cost me 45k Marriott points. I believe that before this week was almost enough for 4 nights at the ROS

I'm not sure how you can say I’m inflating the prices. Those are the prices plus tax and fees, the actually cost of the nights, directly from the Marriott reservation website.

It’s really not a fair comparison to use a prepay rate for a rewards or cert night, since those are fully flexible without penalty.

The infatuation might be the cost of room that would equal the minimum I’d get, without an upgrade, with my status. Using that makes it an apples to apples comparison. That would seem like a fair data point for comparison with other similar properties that are not in this specific rewards system.

Last edited by Ripley62; Mar 8, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ripley62
The infatuation might be the cost of room that would equal the minimum I’d get, without an upgrade, with my status.
Yes, I think that's the fairest way to calculate a redemption value - base room, using cheapest refundable rate (typically member rate or AAA). The upgrade is a status benefit (and getting a decent room on award stays is IMO perhaps the #1 benefit of status).

And for comparison, I just paid $7000+ THB for a night at the Athenee. Prices have been quite high in Bangkok lately. SR would have been over $9k that night, and SGS was over $6k.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by remymartin
I've enjoyed this property for several years, however - I stayed here a few weeks ago and had the most unpleasant check-in experience I've ever had in Thailand. Without going into details I was actually at one point told I should book another hotel if I wanted an upgrade.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Oh dear. I also got nothing in the way of upgrades when checking in late at night earlier this month (on a Luxury Privileges rate, so should include space available upgrade even if I didn't have status), just a relatively low floor standard room despite various other room categories being available online. To be honest I've never found this place particularly generous with upgrades, contrary to what various others seem to have experienced. I have had issues on each of my last three stays here unfortunately, so thinking I'll probably be adding this place to my avoid list now. It's a shame, as I love the breakfast in The Rain Tree Cafe and the pool is one of the best in Bangkok.
Booked here for two nights after two nights at the StR in June, but these posts are a little concerning. Anyone have some recent experiences? Will be a titanium member during my stay so I was hoping for an upgrade if rooms are available.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Booked here for two nights after two nights at the StR in June, but these posts are a little concerning. Anyone have some recent experiences? Will be a titanium member during my stay so I was hoping for an upgrade if rooms are available.
Extend the St Regis if you can, or try another property. I would not recommend the Athenee to anyone based on my two stays, and I wouldn't return even if it was the only Bonvoy option! It's also the only Bonvoy property I've stayed in in Bangkok that hasn't provided a decent upgrade, despite availability. That, and the smoke and damp filled corridors, resulted in me leaving around midnight and latterly arguing via Ambassador for a refund on the rest of the stay (eventually given by corporate, but denied by the hotel). I took a taxi to the Marquis or the W (can't remember), and enjoyed the rest of my time in Bangkok. The lounge and its staff are the only positives I can think of...

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 5, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EGW1
I still remember my "sampling" of the PA ... the only hotel I have ever walked out of in the middle of the night regardless of having a non-refundable rate. Stale old corridors that stank of mould and smoke and a room that carried the same odour... with near constant traffic noise.
Was noise the reason you walked out during the night or was there something else that happened as well?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by escape4
Was noise the reason you walked out during the night or was there something else that happened as well?
All things combined - no upgrade whatsoever, shown two rooms each on allegedly non-smoking floors with the corridors filled with smoke smell, stale damp smell everywhere including in rooms, and the traffic noise on top. The manager's attitude was essentially you are being very difficult (probably not realising I can speak Thai). When I suggested the easiest solution was for me to leave and have a refund, that was denied, but I left anyway. Never been back since.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I had a decent stay here about a month ago. Upgraded to Athenee suite. There was a musty smell but it was tolerable. Pool is great (even better than StR), lounge is very good. Felt well treated.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This is one of my favorite properties in Marriott system. I have not stayed post Aug 18 but have always been upgraded. I probably will be staying again soon and will post back reports if I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.