Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Room quality, breakfast, and the location of the SGS definitely beat out the Athenee.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by supergabe
Room quality, breakfast, and the location of the SGS definitely beat out the Athenee.
The rooms are similar in size and both adequate for purpose. Both have good breakfasts. SGS BTS access is more convenient but barely and advantage. Ive had many more stays at the Athenee because I have found good rates. For the same rate I would not be fussed which I stayed at.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Finishing up a stay here and as always love it here. Some recent changes - evening cocktail hour has been extended from 4-8pm (I believe from 6-8 last time I was here) which is nice. Only 2 items a day of pressing is allowed now unfortunately as I preferred the 2 items of washing a day. Was given fruit and water at pool for first time.

Overall, the room and quality of the lounge (and ability to take drinks at any restaurant) is great and why this is one of my favorite properties in the SPG system. I still do not understand the fanboy nature of SGS and how so many don't hold PA in the same level when I think PA's hard product is far superior (heck last night there was a society wedding that even the Prime Minister attended).

Moreover, the service has gotten markedly better since becoming a LC. First day of breakfast they reserved the breakfast table that they remembered I liked in the buffet area, and 6 different people remembered my preferences for drinks but also eggs. I don't change my eating habits greatly but was amazed they all had been trained/ told that I like my eggs and drinks in a very specific way and order (a little OCD perhaps or more I just make so many decisions in like that I don't like to when eating or dressing, same clothes etc).

Overall excellent stay. I paid more than double I think for this rate than what was on offer at Westin or ROS... and 30% more than SGS. I am glad I decided to pay the extra money. Absolutely worth it. I should note I stayed at Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok before switching over to PA. Hard product and treatment of me as a loyal guest made my stay here superior to MO. However, MO really is in another class when it comes to service on an everyday basis. They really are incredible but also lose I think to their properties being too old/ rundown and lack of a decent loyalty program.

Last edited by SHLTP; May 12, 2018 at 12:14 am
Old May 12, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I think the longer cocktail hours (reported here and ROS) may be due to merger - that is the good, but I am pretty sure the change to ironing rather than washing comp is also due to merger (I too really appreciated the laundry benefit) - that is the BAD
GalaxyChris likes this.

Last edited by estnet; May 12, 2018 at 1:49 am
Old May 12, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I think it is due to the merger (SGS has extended the hours as well). Some club lounge folks told me the change was due to Marriott, but I was not sure if that was a corporate directive or because there are more Marriott people now working at more SPG properties in the ones I frequent and made decisions on a property level basis - I have seen extended hours at most other properties as well if I recall.

One of the nice things about Marriott, if you drink, seems to be longer lounge happy hour times, at least in Asia. I am staying at the JW Marriott in London next week. I am interested in seeing what Marriott is like there as it is my first time at a Marriott in Europe. Was not impressed with my US stays but have been pretty happy with my Asia ones.

But the laundry change was a bummer.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by estnet
I think the longer cocktail hours (reported here and ROS) may be due to merger - that is the good, but I am pretty sure the change to ironing rather than washing comp is also due to merger (I too really appreciated the laundry benefit) - that is the BAD
Originally Posted by SHLTP
But the laundry change was a bummer.
The laundry benefit was done away with before my mid-November stay last year and I also dislike it but the Westin is again honoring 2 pieces per day of laundry so assigning blame to the decision might not be as clear cut as claimed.

TravelinSperry likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; May 12, 2018 at 11:09 am Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Just completed an amazing five-night stay here and posted a detailed review at the following link - perhaps someone can link/embed it here? Top-notch through and through

Happy to answer questions that anyone may have.

khabah
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:44 am

Has anyone stayed post merger and still received lounge access as a plat?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by r3cycle19
Just checking with hotel account manager about their new upgrade policy, will report back once I get an answer.

BR FC
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Why wouldn't someone have lounge access if they are Platinum or higher level?
I know the Ritz-Carlton doesn't allow it, but the Luxury Collection brand is part of the brands who do allow it.
Are you hearing about a restriction for the LC or just for the Athenee property specifically?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:29 am

I believe luxury collections are not required to provide lounge access to plats based on the pdf I read but the list does only show USA/CANADA and Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I believe luxury collections are not required to provide lounge access to plats based on the pdf I read but the list does only show USA/CANADA and Europe.
From the new T&C:

Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Design Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Four Points, SpringHill Suites, Protea Hotels, Fairfield, AC Hotels, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Element, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fairchecker
Just checking with hotel account manager about their new upgrade policy, will report back once I get an answer.

BR FC
Got an answer:
Platinum guest will still receive Club access. Restaurant breakfast will only be provided if it is part of the booked rate. Breakfast in club lounge is anyway part of the club benefit.

If you still can choose (the extremely decent) restaurant breakfast as your platinum gift was not clarified.

Hope it helps,

BR FC
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by fairchecker
Platinum guest will still receive Club access.

Restaurant breakfast will only be provided if it is part of the booked rate. Breakfast in club lounge is anyway part of the club benefit. If you still can choose (the extremely decent) restaurant breakfast as your platinum gift was not clarified.
Thanks for the follow-up.

While the continued lounge access is good news, I will be disappointed if we can no longer have breakfast in the restaurant. That would mean the Athenee has been "Marriottized" in terms of lounge vs restaurant breakfast.

Is there even still a Platinum welcome gift since August 18th?

I will be there in a couple of weeks and will report back.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the follow-up.

While the continued lounge access is good news, I will be disappointed if we can no longer have breakfast in the restaurant. That would mean the Athenee has been "Marriottized" in terms of lounge vs restaurant breakfast.

Is there even still a Platinum welcome gift since August 18th?

I will be there in a couple of weeks and will report back.
The way I understand it, the platinum welcome gifts at legacy SPG properties remain unchanged and breakfast is still a choice, in case you don't want to take free one in lounge - nothing changed in that matter. I'm staying at Athenee from 5th till 10th September so will report back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.