Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 6, 19, 11:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DaveMidknight
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]

SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Cocktail Hour changed to 18:00-20:00
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 22, 19, 8:42 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, AccorHotels Silver, oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The Athenee Suite we got last month was not nearly so nice as that. It was spacious, but rather tired.
I have stayed at Athenee Suite last time and it was great. Do they have non-renovated ones or just quality vary that much?
Old Apr 23, 19, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by barracuda93 View Post
I have stayed at Athenee Suite last time and it was great. Do they have non-renovated ones or just quality vary that much?
I don't know. This was not a renovated room.

I'm not complaining . . . it was spacious and we appreciated the upgrade, but it was nowhere near as nice as the Royal Club Suite in the photoes upthread. Had some mildew odor, but was tolerable.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:44 pm

I don't know. This was not a renovated room.
And your stay was in 2019? Thatís strange, I thought they had completed renovations for all their rooms.

Iím back there tomorrow night ó if I meet a chatty agent Iíll ask them what % of rooms remain unrenoíd.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I stayed here, I got one of the renovated red suites on a high floor with SNAs, so I was happy but the bathroom did seem dated, although it had lots of marble so I really couldn't complain, especially since AFAIK the seemingly dated appearance was the standard style in Thailand.
Old Apr 23, 19, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by zzap View Post
And your stay was in 2019? That’s strange, I thought they had completed renovations for all their rooms.
Yes. I don't see how a "renovated" floor could have the mildew odor, since that usually comes from the carpet. Which certainly did not look new.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yes. I don't see how a "renovated" floor could have the mildew odor, since that usually comes from the carpet. Which certainly did not look new.
Any property with a noticeable mildew odor is off my list. Not only do I find the odor, itself, quite unpleasant, but it can be symptomatic of a wide variety of problems, none of which I have any interest in encountering.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm very sensitive to mildew and didn't have a problem when I stayed here, although I have had problems elsewhere. In one very bad case it was attributed to a minor plumbing leak that had occurred previously where something (probably carpet in the entry area) remained wet after the leak was fixed. In some climates, mildew problems are common and require use of dehumidifiers.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm very sensitive to mildew and didn't have a problem when I stayed here
Same for me. If a hotel has a mildew problem or if AC vents are not very clean, I will have a stuffy nose all night. No issue at Athenee.
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Same for me. If a hotel has a mildew problem or if AC vents are not very clean, I will have a stuffy nose all night. No issue at Athenee.
It would seem then to be floor specific, as there is another recent (and far more negative than mine) report of strong mildew odor at Athenee.