Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EGW1
Extend the St Regis if you can, or try another property. I would not recommend the Athenee to anyone based on my two stays, and I wouldn't return even if it was the only Bonvoy option! It's also the only Bonvoy property I've stayed in in Bangkok that hasn't provided a decent upgrade, despite availability. That, and the smoke and damp filled corridors, resulted in me leaving around midnight and latterly arguing via Ambassador for a refund on the rest of the stay (eventually given by corporate, but denied by the hotel). I took a taxi to the Marquis or the W (can't remember), and enjoyed the rest of my time in Bangkok. The lounge and its staff are the only positives I can think of...
Originally Posted by Kacee
I had a decent stay here about a month ago. Upgraded to Athenee suite. There was a musty smell but it was tolerable. Pool is great (even better than StR), lounge is very good. Felt well treated.
The Marriott site says this is a non-smoking property. Is that wrong? Noticeable odours would definitely be a problem.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
This is one of my favorite properties in Marriott system. I have not stayed post Aug 18 but have always been upgraded. I probably will be staying again soon and will post back reports if I do.
Have appreciated your hotel reports in other threads in the past so I'll keep checking back for it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I'm surprised at how much positive feedback this place gets!
All things combined - no upgrade whatsoever, shown two rooms each on allegedly non-smoking floors with the corridors filled with smoke smell, stale damp smell everywhere including in rooms, and the traffic noise on top. The manager's attitude was essentially you are being very difficult (probably not realising I can speak Thai). When I suggested the easiest solution was for me to leave and have a refund, that was denied, but I left anyway. Never been back since.
I generally avoid hotels which do not upgrade and as documented earlier in this thread I have never received a suite ugprade even when they were available on marriott.com at time of check-in. So I hear you, it is frustrating. And I can relate to your experience regarding management's detached attitude on occasion - I was asked to move to a new room at 6pm one time because they needed to spray chemicals on my floor (!?). I was clearly not happy and they did not do anything about it except point out that my new room was better. And I found a cockroach in my room on a subsequent stay.

Despite all that, I continue to return sometimes, perhaps because I see more positives than you do, while not disagreeing with any of the negatives you pointed out.

Not only is the lounge great, but I see a very significant margin between that one and any other lounge in Bangkok. Breakfast in the lounge is a peace haven. Breakfast in the restaurant is more hectic (but not overly so compared to SGS for example) but food is fantastic. If you ask me to pick St.Regis breakfast or Athenee breakfast, I will pick Athenee 9 times out of 10 and would only pick StR once in a while to mix things up.

Also, while I cannot be pleased about the lack of upgrades as an Ambassador returning guest when there are rooms available, at least the entry level room is spacious and in good condition, unlike the entry level room at other hotels. You like the Marquis? Before I moved to a suite mid stay over there, I was disturbed by noise: I could hear the neighbor in the adjoining room talking, not screaming. There is no soundproofing whatsoever there.

So if I have to be stuck in the entry level room somewhere, I would pick Athenee ahead of any other Marriott hotel except St.Regis. Even ahead of SGS. And while I never had a suite at Athenee, to be fair I have been upgraded to other kinds of rooms on occasion for example Prestige and Royal Club.

Finally, I return to Athenee because I find it easier to get BRG than other properties. I have a couple of upcoming stays for 3100 THB flexible. Hard to beat that, so my intent is to enjoy the good and not obsess about the negatives at that price. Athenee is not perfect but I am hesitant to pay a lot more for another hotel just because I am not fully happy with my previous stays at Athenee. The good is good enough so I return. Maybe others are more picky than I am, but the fact is that even St.Regis Bangkok is not up to StR level compared to other cities and I have yet to find the perfect hotel in Bangkok. I was not wowed by Park Hyatt, and will try Waldorf Astoria next month. I also intend to try Marriott Surawong and Marriott Soi 57 at some point (and Hyatt Regency) but should I really pay 50% more for those compared to Athenee? Not sure. There are not a lot of instances where I would pay 50% more for a Marriott brand compared to Luxury Collection in the same city. If I cannot find BRG then yes Athenee is usually more expensive and when that happens I will try the Marriotts.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:12 am

I had a decent stay here about a month ago. Upgraded to Athenee suite. There was a musty smell but it was tolerable. Pool is great (even better than StR), lounge is very good. Felt well treated.
Did you book the entry level room and was your rate somewhat on the high side, for example above 5k-6k? I wonder if they frown upon low BRG rates and not upgrade even when rooms are available in those circumstances.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
Did you book the entry level room and was your rate somewhat on the high side, for example above 5k-6k? I wonder if they frown upon low BRG rates and not upgrade even when rooms are available in those circumstances.
Had two stays last month (1. BRG and 2. Reward Stay) and was upgraded both times to a Athenee Suite.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveMidknight
Had two stays last month (1. BRG and 2. Reward Stay) and was upgraded both times to a Athenee Suite.
Great to hear, I hope that is because they have recently changed their upgrade practices. I will see for myself when I stay there later this month and once again in June.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:13 am
kkl

Didn't get an upgrade in feb on one night stay.

Prefer STR both cat 5. Only standout is lounge
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I generally avoid hotels which do not upgrade and as documented earlier in this thread I have never received a suite ugprade even when they were available on marriott.com at time of check-in. So I hear you, it is frustrating. And I can relate to your experience regarding management's detached attitude on occasion - I was asked to move to a new room at 6pm one time because they needed to spray chemicals on my floor (!?). I was clearly not happy and they did not do anything about it except point out that my new room was better. And I found a cockroach in my room on a subsequent stay.

Despite all that, I continue to return sometimes, perhaps because I see more positives than you do, while not disagreeing with any of the negatives you pointed out.

Not only is the lounge great, but I see a very significant margin between that one and any other lounge in Bangkok. Breakfast in the lounge is a peace haven. Breakfast in the restaurant is more hectic (but not overly so compared to SGS for example) but food is fantastic. If you ask me to pick St.Regis breakfast or Athenee breakfast, I will pick Athenee 9 times out of 10 and would only pick StR once in a while to mix things up.

Also, while I cannot be pleased about the lack of upgrades as an Ambassador returning guest when there are rooms available, at least the entry level room is spacious and in good condition, unlike the entry level room at other hotels. You like the Marquis? Before I moved to a suite mid stay over there, I was disturbed by noise: I could hear the neighbor in the adjoining room talking, not screaming. There is no soundproofing whatsoever there.

So if I have to be stuck in the entry level room somewhere, I would pick Athenee ahead of any other Marriott hotel except St.Regis. Even ahead of SGS. And while I never had a suite at Athenee, to be fair I have been upgraded to other kinds of rooms on occasion for example Prestige and Royal Club.

Finally, I return to Athenee because I find it easier to get BRG than other properties. I have a couple of upcoming stays for 3100 THB flexible. Hard to beat that, so my intent is to enjoy the good and not obsess about the negatives at that price. Athenee is not perfect but I am hesitant to pay a lot more for another hotel just because I am not fully happy with my previous stays at Athenee. The good is good enough so I return. Maybe others are more picky than I am, but the fact is that even St.Regis Bangkok is not up to StR level compared to other cities and I have yet to find the perfect hotel in Bangkok. I was not wowed by Park Hyatt, and will try Waldorf Astoria next month. I also intend to try Marriott Surawong and Marriott Soi 57 at some point (and Hyatt Regency) but should I really pay 50% more for those compared to Athenee? Not sure. There are not a lot of instances where I would pay 50% more for a Marriott brand compared to Luxury Collection in the same city. If I cannot find BRG then yes Athenee is usually more expensive and when that happens I will try the Marriotts.
genuinely no offense itended, but I wouldn’t return anywhere with a cockroach in room, and that’s having lived in south east asia for 5 years! Marquis I’ve never experienced the noise problem, but I don’t think I’ve had a suite with an adjoining door (and I’ve only once not had a suite). I would pay more (even significantly more) to stay somewhere I feel comfortable in, like St Regis or Park Hyatt or W or Peninsula or Mandarin. I’d take the SGS or Marquis over the Athenee. That said, my satisfaction at hotels is primarily driven by the hardware/ambience, spa, in room dining, and service...lounge offerings and breakfasts don’t really sway me as I rarely have breakfast and I’d rather have a nice drink at a bar of choice than a hotel lounge, tho a good Gin Martini or glass of Champagne on offer would be a clincher! So, as ever, it all depends on your own preferences. Waldorf you will likely enjoy, although there are some issues with construction and street noise...my next one to try is Rosewood.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 5, 2019 at 4:36 am
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:16 am

genuinely no offense itended, but I wouldn’t return anywhere with a cockroach in room, and that’s having lived in south east asia for 5 years! Marquis I’ve never experienced the noise problem, but I don’t think I’ve had a suite with an adjoining door (and I’ve only once not had a suite). I would pay more (even significantly more) to stay somewhere I feel comfortable in, like St Regis or Park Hyatt or W or Peninsula or Mandarin. I’d take the SGS or Marquis over the Athenee. That said, my satisfaction at hotels is primarily driven by the hardware/ambience, spa, in room dining, and service...lounge offerings and breakfasts don’t really sway me as I rarely have breakfast and I’d rather have a nice drink at a bar of choice than a hotel lounge, tho a good Gin Martini or glass of Champagne on offer would be a clincher! So, as ever, it all depends on your own preferences. Waldorf you will likely enjoy, although there are some issues with construction and street noise...my next one to try is Rosewood.
LOL, no offense taken mate I know what you mean, and I would not return to a hotel with a cockroach in probably 90% of cases, Athenee being part of the 10% where the strong points can make me come back despite the weaknesses. If breakfast and lounge are not that important to you then I can see why you are not coming back to Athenee because F&B is the strength of the hotel. When I went there with my mom who has celiac's disease, the chef asked her what did she want to eat and prepared her personalized dish in the lounge every evening. On top of individual treatment mornings too. Just top notch service.

The suite at Marquis is good because there is no adjoining room when you are on the bedroom side, only on the living room side. The noise issue was when I was in the regular room (not upgraded) in the first half of my stay. It was awful, and I would rather have the entry level room at Athenee.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I booked the Prestige Corner room. It was pretty expensive (over 7k THB). The FDM checked me in.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:00 am
kkl

I booked the Prestige Corner room. It was pretty expensive (over 7k THB). The FDM checked me in.
As plat can check in at lounge but seems more effort than anything

Unless better upgrade options at lounge check in?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kkl
As plat can check in at lounge but seems more effort than anything

Unless better upgrade options at lounge check in?
I'd rather check-in at the front desk. I just want to get my key and go to the room. I've never felt I did any better on upgrades checking in at the lounge.
CO-PLAT and kkl like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I always check in at lounge. That is also when I tell staff personal preferences (ie they will prepare fresh squeezed juice for me when normally that is not offered). I also always tip staff well at end of trip - never at beginning as I don't want to feel I am bribig for good service - but staff remember me on next trip and I find go out of there way for me.

I have had hours of good conversations with CL staff and they remember amazingly our discussions. I have always wondered if they have crib notes.

One guy remembered two big deals as I was in the middle of and asked how they went.... A year later.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:16 am

Anyone know if the lounge is still closed for renovations?

I booked a room for next week and got this announcement on "upcoming stay" email.

​​​​​​"Renovation Alert
Please excuse any possible disruption while venues on the 3rd floor of the hotel undergo an upgrade that will lead to the launch of exciting new options available August 1st 2019."

As some people on here seem to indicate that the 3rd floor lounge is one of the biggest benefits of this property, should I look elsewhere if I can't access the lounge?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by zzap
As some people on here seem to indicate that the 3rd floor lounge is one of the biggest benefits of this property, should I look elsewhere if I can't access the lounge?
Didn't even know there is a lounge at 3 floor. What's so great about it?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Didn't even know there is a lounge at 3 floor. What's so great about it?
Oh I thought the lounge was on the third floor. If not, then what's on level 3 that's currently under renovation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.