Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 6, 19, 11:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DaveMidknight
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]

SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Cocktail Hour changed to 18:00-20:00
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 29, 18, 3:12 am

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
My SNA request was denied, however the standard room is more than adequate.

The dress code was being enforced by only one of several lounge attendants. I enjoyed watching him politely kick people out for wearing flip flops and others for wearing shorts. Unfortunately there were other guests wearing the same and some wearing sweat pants that didn't get caught as none of the other lounge attendants were enforcing the policy.

I would love being a lounge dragon for a day.

Hot water is hot and both shower and sink drains well. Bathroom lighting inadequate for shaving. AC is cold. Three very large towels, two large towels and three medium sized towels provided. No small hand towels. Even tough I arrived well past 4PM, it took an hours before my reserved room type was ready. My Marriott profile indicates I prefer a high floor, but I'm stuck on 7.
The LCD TV is able to be pulled out from the wall and pivoted.
No need for international adapters as my standard uS plugs (2-pronged and 3-pronged) fit in all the sockets.
No USB chargers.
Turndown service came in and set out one pair of slippers, but my wife occupies the room as well.
Kalboz likes this.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Dec 30, 18 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Edit: Hotel will continue to offer free lounge access to Ambassador and Platinum members only. Otherwise, it’s an extra 1500 baht/night.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 11, 19 at 11:55 pm Reason: incorrect info
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:45 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
This hotel now offers free lounge access to Ambassador members only. Otherwise, itís an extra 1500 baht/night.
Ouch. Nothing for PPE?

Actually just made a reservation an hour ago. Might cancel
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
This hotel now offers free lounge access to Ambassador members only. Otherwise, itís an extra 1500 baht/night.
oh no. This was my go to place in BKK and was planning a several week stay there this summer. Won't go there anymore of true

Edit: see my new post below.

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 11, 19 at 10:43 pm
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
I was told this was going to happen for the Luxury Collection properties (and other brands) by a GM at another Marriott hotel, but I was not foreseeing this happening at the Athenee.
The hotel just became a lot less attractive to Platinum members.<<< Apparently not.
Kalboz likes this.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 13, 19 at 12:26 pm Reason: Wrong information given by a staff member at hotel, but corrected shortly after
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Wow. After our stay two weeks ago, my wife informed me that this would be our new standard hotel in Bangkok. Now I get to tell her we won't be returning.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:41 pm

All, I just called twice, spoke with duty mgr and operator. Both said all plats still get club lounge access still in main room, 2nd room has to pay. As always.

Margarota girl - are you on property now?

Anyone else there that can confirm in person?
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the hotel otherwise must give Plats the restaurant breakfast (which has been an enormous hot buffet), how much do they save by not doing lounge access, including possibly eliminating the free breakfast downstairs for elites with lounge access? Of course, they could create a *special* continental buffet in some of the side dining room areas, or even use the little lobby bar for this purpose, but that would have costs too.

To me, this doesn't make sense, but I've been expecting it ever since the new Starriott rules specified the brands with lounge access, although I would have expected FC to be an exception regardless. Then The Nines (LC in Portland, Oregon) seemed to be the first to take advantage of the new rules and this lovely hotel moved to my do not stay list.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
All, I just called twice, spoke with duty mgr and operator.
If you want a written confirmation, here is the Duty Manager email address: [email protected]
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
All, I just called twice, spoke with duty mgr and operator. Both said all plats still get club lounge access still in main room, 2nd room has to pay. As always.

Margarota girl - are you on property now?

Anyone else there that can confirm in person?
Yes. That's what I was told when I checked in on the 26th floor. I'll ask again.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correction

I went back to the lounge and asked the agent who had told me lounge access was only for Ambassador members and she corrected herself. She said Ambassador and Platinum members.

I suspect what happened is she greeted me as PPE with Ambassador and said I would get lounge access because I was Ambassador member. I asked if that meant Ambassadors only and I'm positive she replied yes, but it was probably a misunderstanding due to language issues. I'll go back and amend my original post. Whew!
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
2nd room? Why a 2nd room at the lounge? 2nd room with inferior offerings?

Sounds like 2nd class guests treatment?

This separating Platinums like this which is imported from SPG is ridiculous!

They need to wait until all the newly minted Platinums will drop out by next year rather than permanently change their terms.
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UASPG View Post
If you want a written confirmation, here is the Duty Manager email address: [email protected]
Hmm, the email I was given when I was here in Oct is [email protected]. Looks like it may have been changed. I will update the wiki.

It would be sooooo much better if Marriott just provided this info on hotel websites.
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:36 am

I mean lounge access for the plat member's room (1+1). Additional rooms booked undrr plat account have to pay as always for lounge access but ymmv

Not inferior part of club lounge for plats.

This is one of my fav starwood properties in whole system. Thankfully many plats like SGS more. I don't think SGS hardware wise holds up to PA and SGS service mught be a smidgen better... Might...

I wrote a book while staying here and ate breakfast at same table everyday as they kindly reserved. A year later I came back and they reserved same table for me. As a creature of habit when working (same food, same clothes ie buy same shirt 5 times so i don't have to thhink about what I wear) in is hrlpful.
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:54 am

I went back to the lounge and asked the agent who had told me lounge access was only for Ambassador members and she corrected herself. She said Ambassador and Platinum members.
Whew.
I found it very convenient to walk to Ploenchit BTS from the hotel. I timed it once and took 6:05 walking at a leisurely pace with very few stairs. That is from the elevator on the 1st floor to the barrier at the station. Leave the hotel and turn right on the road. Cut through the Okura Hotel lot and walk into the air conditioned Park Ventures building. Pass the Boots pharmacy and take the escalator up. Make a U-turn at the top of the escalator and follow the path to the BTS. I think you can also cut through the Okura lobby also, but never tried it.

In addition to Boots, there is a large 7-11, a sushi stand and a Boba Tea place all right there.
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread