Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 6, 19, 11:36 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DaveMidknight
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]

SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Cocktail Hour changed to 18:00-20:00
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 6, 18, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Being a legacy Marriott guy, I've never done the SNA thing. I just selected 5 SNA for my 50 night benefit. Is it a good use of them to apply to this property or am I likely to already be upgraded to a suite as a Lifetime Plat Premier?
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT View Post
Being a legacy Marriott guy, I've never done the SNA thing. I just selected 5 SNA for my 50 night benefit. Is it a good use of them to apply to this property or am I likely to already be upgraded to a suite as a Lifetime Plat Premier?
This hotel doesn't have that many standard suites and is also very popular with local weddings that book suites for cash (or get it as part of the package).

If you want to make sure to get a suite here I'd use the SNA.
Old Dec 6, 18, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Does anyone have a map and/or driving directions to this property in Thai language? I would like to be prepared for a taxi ride.
Plaza Athenee is one of the most known hotels in Bangkok so no problem there. US Embassy is also right next door.
Old Dec 9, 18, 10:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Does anyone have a map and/or driving directions to this property in Thai language? I would like to be prepared for a taxi ride.
Not only the property is located in "central" Bangkok on Wireless Road, it is well known by locals. Both the British and American embassies are located on Wireless Rd. and with the advent of GPS on every cell phone, cab driver shouldn't have a problem finding the place. If you still having issues, mention terms like Witthayu, Phloenchit, and Lumpinin.
Old Dec 12, 18, 2:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I am 0/5 for suite upgrades as Plat-AMB in the last 12 months so I would think SNAs would be useful there. Without an SNA a suite upgrade is not impossible but this hotel is stingy, I have failed to receive upgrades even below suites when available, so I would not dream about suites.
Old Dec 12, 18, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz View Post
Not only the property is located in "central" Bangkok on Wireless Road, it is well known by locals. Both the British and American embassies are located on Wireless Rd. and with the advent of GPS on every cell phone, cab driver shouldn't have a problem finding the place. If you still having issues, mention terms like Witthayu, Phloenchit, and Lumpinin.
I have obtained a map from the hotel as posted above in post # 975.

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I am 0/5 for suite upgrades as Plat-AMB in the last 12 months so I would think SNAs would be useful there. Without an SNA a suite upgrade is not impossible but this hotel is stingy, I have failed to receive upgrades even below suites when available, so I would not dream about suites.
I figured out how to choose the SNA benefit. It took two days, but I recieved them and subsequently went through the process of requesting to apply them to my Athenee stay. The hotel appears to be sold out during the period of my stay (over NYE). I noticed that I unintentionally booked a smoking room in my original reservation. I didn't even know such a thing still existed within Marriott outside of Japan.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 12, 18, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find their post-renovation SNA suites to be rather nice. I had a corner one on a high floor with nice views and I liked the furnishings. The room had a small entry foyer, I think with a powder room, then an area just ahead with a large desk and the minibar with coffee maker. As you entered further, there was a living room, then bedroom and beyond a dressing area, a large marble (not newly renovated) bathroom IIRC with large bathtub and separate shower, double bowl sinks with lots of counter space, etc. The colors (charcoal and dark red) seemed restful but sophisticated with Thai influences.

It looked to me like the suite across the hall was occupied on a long term basis and might have been individually owned as when I glanced in as the occupant was coming or going, the decor/furnishings seemed very different from my suite, but perhaps it just hadn't been renovated due to the long stay. This made me wonder whether some of the hotel's suites could be privately owned or leased under long term contracts.
Old Dec 12, 18, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This made me wonder whether some of the hotel's suites could be privately owned or leased under long term contracts.
Many people live in hotels. I would imagine that if you're booking in for a period of months or years, you'll have a fair amount of input into things like furnishings, layout, etc.
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I noticed that I unintentionally booked a smoking room in my original reservation. I didn't even know such a thing still existed within Marriott outside of Japan.
Are you sure they didn't mess it up on Dec. 11 with the switch in booking platforms? This happened to both of my Bangkok reservations (SGS and St. Regis). Check your original email confirm, not the website.
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Are you sure they didn't mess it up on Dec. 11 with the switch in booking platforms? This happened to both of my Bangkok reservations (SGS and St. Regis). Check your original email confirm, not the website.
I had used an expiring cert here and when i looked at the res a few days ago it also was a smoking room.
Old Dec 12, 18, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No such luck.
Old Dec 13, 18, 5:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Stay here in March. Booked 2 base rooms and got upgraded to royal club room (both) as spg plt
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:06 am

I emailed the hotel asking to switch to a non-smoking room. They replied indicating they have noted the request.

What is this supposed to mean?

I also noticed that rooms with one King bed are now available during my stay so I'm going to try and update my room. I need to go away and study how it will impact my SNA request first. When starting to go through the process it shows that my SNAs will be returned.
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
What is this supposed to mean?
There's something wrong with the interface between the Marriott booking platform and the Bangkok SR and LC properties. It also manifests in the room inventory for sale, which jumps wildly and often differs between app and website.

If you're already in contact with the hotel, you might just make the request directly rather than messing around with the online platform. You currently can't book a nonsmoking room online or via the app.

It may also help you with your upgrade request if you're directly in contact with them.
Old Dec 16, 18, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're hoping for a suite upgrade, look at suite availability for 1 king bed versus 2 queens and try to make your reservation match if you can.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Search this Thread