Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:50 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
is LRM Shanghai a Le Meridien hotel?
Yes. Uses and follows the LM standards more closely than PA.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
is LRM Shanghai a Le Meridien hotel?
Yes, I would assume that any LRM is a LM.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by yosithezet
This of course led to an hour of Wikiedia. Thanks for the amazing info! Where did you come across this info?
Which assumption was wrong? I read what you wrote and went to Wikipedia to find out more about the Princess and Rama V and his family.
On your post, it seemed that there was only one assumption, followed by a thankful message, then a question.

No, I did not spend "an hour" to find an information (on the "Royal" part of the name of the hotel) that I already had for several years.
As posted earlier, I just made a quick search on another website than the one you mentioned to prevent errors on the names that I indicated.

Many years ago, I inquired on the same issue for the ROSH and was told that Queen Sirikit had inaugurated the hotel, so "Royal" it was - did not check this information further.

Since we are talking about royalty, I was at the hotel when the Prince of Bhutan (he is now the King of this small country) was staying there. We were lucky enough to be upgraded once to the suite where he had stayed, the Royal Orchid Presidential Suite.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If you keep an eye on the ballroom you'll find that this is a venue that definitely focuses on old Thai money. [...]
... and U.S. Embassy functions.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... and U.S. Embassy functions.
Not surprising since it's very close to the USA Embassy, including the ambassador's residence (that I could see from my window).

Could it be the case that Thailand reserves use fo the word "Royal" as part of a name for places that have some connection to their royal family? I know that the country has some other laws about respecting the royal family,etc.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by UASPG
On your post, it seemed that there was only one assumption, followed by a thankful message, then a question.
Thee was no assumption. Your post led to me spending an hour on Wikipedia. I didn't suggest that you got your information from Wikipedia. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Nov 2, 14, 2:14 am

Anyone heard that the PA will switch brand to 'Luxury Collection'?

I cannot confirm this information which might have been discussed here previously.
Apparently, it is going to happen soon.

FlyerTalkers cannot complain that they did not get enough advance notice.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, it is going to happen soon.

FlyerTalkers cannot complain that they did not get enough advance notice.
And what changes will we, as guests, notice?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Look at the date... that rumor was 2 years ago. It didn't come true.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

I think most of the changes have already be done with the renovation which was definitely in the Luxury Collection direction. Maybe, we will notice the change of rates.

I am sure that there are brand requirements that have to be learned by the staff, but will we really see changes?

My hope that they will have espresso machines in the suites, like they have at the WGS, the SGS, the LMBKK, the LMCM and others.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most of the changes have already be done with the renovation which was definitely in the Luxury Collection direction. Maybe, we will notice the change of rates.

I am sure that there are brand requirements that have to be learned by the staff, but will we really see changes?

My hope that they will have espresso machines in the suites, like they have at the WGS, the SGS, the LMBKK, the LMCM and others.
I can live without them. They're Nespresso (or competitor's equivalent) and don't make real espresso. Just doesn't taste the same. Cappuccino is particularly deficient IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat

FYI, LM CM does not provide 'espresso machine' in their suites anymore. I stayed there last april.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:33 pm

FYI, LM CM does not provide 'espresso machine' in their suites anymore. I stayed there last april.
I am a frequent guest at the hotel - stayed there last a week ago - and the Lavazza espresso machine has been there every time. They might have reduced the number of those coffee machines.

Luckily, they have those complimentary coffee cars and the illy coffee is better than its italian counterpart, Lavazza.

Last edited by UASPG; Nov 7, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:40 pm

I can live without them. They're Nespresso (or competitor's equivalent) and don't make real espresso. Just doesn't taste the same. Cappuccino is particularly deficient IMO.
I guess tastes differ as I do like the Nespresso brand (my preference is their "intenso" range), but I don't drink cappuccinos, just short espressos without milk or sugar.

We have one Nespresso and one illy machines at the office and I use the first one more often.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I guess tastes differ as I do like the Nespresso brand (my preference is their "intenso" range), but I don't drink cappuccinos, just short espressos without milk or sugar.

We have one Nespresso and one illy machines at the office and I use the first one more often.
Agreed. I've had Nespresso machines for years, and given the ease of use, find the quality vs ease extremely palatable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.