Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
LM BKK has some type of similar machine in the rooms .... and the brand of the pods is not Illy.
Let's be quiet about this .
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
... home made cottage cheese, ....
I dodn't know that it was made there. I'll have to try it, might be perfect with some fresh mango!!

Originally Posted by geminidreams
The times I have stayed at the SGS the breakfast has been busy and the ambiance more akin to a cattle sale yard. I actually preferred the more limited offerings at Sala where at least the setting is much calmer and relaxing.
You do know that they run the same buffet upstairs in Rossini and Basil, right?

Originally Posted by UASPG
The machines were from Lavazza, another Italian coffee brand. They have now been removed.
Well that seems silly. If the hotels owns the machines, where did they go? They're sunk cost.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
It's not identical. There are definitely some plates that are different (although I can't recall specifics). I think the dim sum is one of them that is only served downstairs.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

No never tried in there, but I havent been to SGS for a couple of years either as I have felt there is better value elsewhere. I will be interested to see how the PA setup is after the renovations. For me it is the ambiance, I like the PA foyer, the pool, the great lounge and I loved the Raintree. My last visit with breakfast in Reflexions was a disappointment.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Well that seems silly. If the hotels owns the machines, where did they go? They're sunk cost.
There are other costs for the hotels when they do not respect the contracts signed by Starwood. I guess that it is a matter of comparing the costs and evaluating the impact that the removal of the espresso makers has on the guests of the suites where they were.

Last edited by UASPG; Oct 10, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UASPG
There are other costs for the hotels, when they do not respect the contracts signed by Starwood. I guess that it is a matter of comparing the costs and the impact that the removal of the espresso makers has on the guests of the suites where they were.
Didn't think of that. Well, if they're just sitting in a storage closet, I'll be happy to take one off their hands....

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Back at the property now. This is my first time staying post (mid) renovation. The rooms look excellent! I strongly believe this will be rebranded to LC once everything is in place.
My initial room was on the 24th floor. There was clearly renovation noise around. My second room was on 21st floor with significantly less noise.
They've revamped the pool bar and it now looks much fresher. They've completely revamped Glaz bar and, sadly as a result, the place is now dead! I count one more patron in addition to me. Too bad, the previous layout was actually more modern.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by remymartin
Back at the property now. This is my first time staying post (mid) renovation. The rooms look excellent! I strongly believe this will be rebranded to LC once everything is in place.
My initial room was on the 24th floor. There was clearly renovation noise around. My second room was on 21st floor with significantly less noise.
They've revamped the pool bar and it now looks much fresher. They've completely revamped Glaz bar and, sadly as a result, the place is now dead! I count one more patron in addition to me. Too bad, the previous layout was actually more modern.
Can you tell, if the upgrade policy remains the same after renovation? Do you know if suites were available and if yes, did you get one?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Olip
Can you tell, if the upgrade policy remains the same after renovation? Do you know if suites were available and if yes, did you get one?
I'd say it remains the same - meaning, I initially got a club room, but because of different smoking preferences, received a suite thereafter. I have not always gotten suites here so in my experience, the treatment remains the same.

The décor of the rooms (both the club room and the suite) is fantastic - definitely closer to the St. Regis than the SGS.

I did not check the suite situation upon check-in. I like doing "field testing", where I take whatever room I get. All in all the property was rather quiet during my stay - probably mostly to do with the long holiday weekend, and, possibly, due to the renovations. This could be seen throughout the property.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Wild that it's empty... rates here seem to be much higher than in the past. I can't find reasonable rates in comparison to the other SPG Bangkok hotels. So no PA for me this trip.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wild that it's empty... rates here seem to be much higher than in the past. I can't find reasonable rates in comparison to the other SPG Bangkok hotels. So no PA for me this trip.
I have been able to find BRGs on this hotel every time I have looked for one.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:00 am

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a shot ^
Old Nov 7, 2015, 5:48 pm

I was also on a BRG stay. I'd recommend checking it out, Sperry!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I was also on a BRG stay. I'd recommend checking it out, Sperry!
Thanks guys - BRG worked. Got a fantastic rate courtesy of Starwood BRGs 20% & Hotelsclick. Just lovely ^

btw - due to ongoing construction is it wise to use SNAs here or are they better used at the Sheraton Grande? I've had luck with upgrades at both locales in the past but have some left in 2015 that I need to burn anyway so might as well apply somewhere. Thoughts?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Nov 7, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: add upgrade question.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:56 pm

I have only had a 25% upgrade success rate here, usually get a club room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.