Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Years ago we stayed at the Hyatt Ziva PV. It was our first AI experience in traveling the world for 5 decades. We hated every meal..... even breakfast, which should be hard to ruin. After the second day we went out for every meal into town. As others have mentioned there is some really good food in PV.... usually not at the hotel. I guess it depends on how important food is to your total experience.
We've only done AI a handful of times, and mostly with teenage boys. I agree with your sentiment, especially in places like PV, where the food is part of the fun for us.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Curious if any of the more recent commenters have stayed there recently? We're debating different Marriott properties and curious how the Sheraton stacks up.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:56 pm
FT

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Try to get a non-connecting room if possible. The gaps under the doors are huge and there is very little noise insulation. You can hear everything in the corridors and in connecting rooms you can hear *everything* in the next room (quiet conversation, tv noise, music, LOUD conversation, shouting, crying, bathroom noises, etc). Everything.
I've stayed at this hotel many times over the past 25 or so years. You are 100% accurate. We had this issue during our last stay and ended up moving rooms. The hotel resisted and said no one had ever brought up any complaints which is incredibly hard to believe given how loud it was. It's a good value and close to town but that last stay was a bit too much.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:10 pm
FT

Originally Posted by MFtraveler
Curious if any of the more recent commenters have stayed there recently? We're debating different Marriott properties and curious how the Sheraton stacks up.
I'm not in love with any of the chain hotel options in the area, but I'm also not a big Nuevo Vallarta or Marina fan either. The Sheraton's biggest attraction is proximity to town. I've walked this path many times with three small/young children. The hotel itself while not luxurious, is updated, clean, well kept, and always affordable. I've stayed at the Westin in the Marina and it's also well kept and clean. The beaches in PV are no bueno so I'm trying to maximize the city aspect when I'm there.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:33 am

Agree with all you've shared here. I'd agree that the beaches along this coastline aren't the best of Mexico, but since we're traveling from California, we want to minimize travel to have more time once there.

From what I gathered it seems like the Westin and Marriott could likely be overall better properties, but to your point, they can't beat the Sheraton's close proximity to some of the more interesting neighborhoods (as well as restaurants). Location seems to be the one reason I am leaning towards it.
bizum and yscleo like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:25 am

MFtraveler

just returned from a stay over Dia de los Muertos / Halloween weekend. . .

Here's a quick summary/review, but tl;dr "This thread is mostly accurate".

Me: solo traveler, non-elite Bonvoy, booked Prepaid via the Bonvoy Escapes sale earlier in October. took advantage of Amex Offer of $50 off $200 for Marriott purchases (main motivation)

Room: Ocean View with Terrace. While on floor "14", it's actually the 3rd floor of the building. Pics on website are accurate. Terrace roughly measures 15x15' with a 3x3' table, 2 chairs, and 2 lounging chairs. Good for private sunning/tanning in the afternoon once the sun hits the area. 2 small (~12oz) bottles of water refreshed daily. Minibar is sparsely stocked. I suggest the OXXO across the street to stock up on water/drinks/snacks. The coffee maker is a Nespresso-type machine. Truly horrible.

Location: 15-20 min walk to center of Malecon. maybe 5-7 minutes to the colonia 5 de diciembre neighborhood. (if you're looking for a food tour, I recommend the "Untouristed" tour from Vallarta Eats vallartaeats.com which covers the neighborhood eateries.)

Pool: it's definitely a family affair at the pool. kids everywhere. standard annoying practice of leaving towels on chairs at 8am and not actually using it until after lunch. Kind of tucked away to the far left is another pool (next to the timeshare). Service is pretty good. You might have to actively flag down a server initially, but once you have one's attention, they come back frequently.

Beach: it really is as terrible as people have described. Nothing to write home about.

Restaurants/Gym/Spa: didn't try any of them. but the coffee stand proved useful.

Service: very good overall. no language issues (English), staff is attentive.

Random/other:
  • the in-between-rooms-and-hallway noise is a real thing.
  • TripAdvisor reviews complain about weddings. Indeed, there was one that weekend, but the noise died down by 11pm.
  • Air conditioning was fine.
  • the humidity was oppressive, so walking around was a really sweaty affair.
  • did not use any COVID testing they had to offer. (brought my own BinaxNow test)

I treated it as a base of operations as I was mostly walking around and eating my entire time in PVR. I'm typically no-frills/ala-carte when I travel. No regrets since I didn't really set myself up to be disappointed.
MFtraveler, laner and yscleo like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Gets the Job Done, Especially as an Elite

I stayed here in August, and while not the fanciest place in the world this property definitely presents good value, especially if you can get a good rate (I got a BRG for six nights at 112/night after tax, pretty good). Basically agree with everyones assessments; 3.5 hardware 4.5 soft service = 4 star hotel at US 2 star prices.

Old hardware and bad beach is made up by great soft service and an above-average lounge, and excellent location to walk to town. Both the breakfast spread and the evening spread are full, hot, and quite delicious in my opinion (the evening spread could substitute as a small dinnerbut youre five minutes from town go get some street tacos). Theres a super market about a five minute walk, turning left from the entrance, where one can buy snacks and cheap booze.

I usually go to Asia in January, but that is increasingly looking unlikely and have this place booked as a likely back up to spend time with my brothers. They were pretty aggressive about signing me up for a timeshare presentation my first visit and I might see if theyll up their ante since Ill be a repeat customer and sit though the presentation

Also, staff come around to give free quick (10 minute or so massages) around the pool, if you are wondering about those services if you go here. Just make sure to tip.

Overall, while not my first choice (rather be in Ubud in January!) can hardly complain, especially since I live in San Diego and can take a flight to TIJ to get around Covid testing
MFtraveler, bizum and yscleo like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:03 pm
FT

I understand thar birria tacos are du jour nowadays. The street that is across the street from the hotel, maybe 1/2 km down has a row of birria stands and other restaurants. So walking out of the hotel walk directly across the street and keep going (soccer fields to your right) instead of making a right to get to town.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:05 pm

flyernok TravelingZoomer FT

Thank you for sharing your experiences on the Sheraton with me—all of this is incredibly helpful. The Sheraton seems to be a great homebase to walk around PVR — especially the colonia 5 de diciembre and zona romantica neighborhoods, which are top of my list. Can't wait to try some of the tacos and food tours you all recommended.

I think we'll plan to stay at the Sheraton for 1-2 nights using our Marriott FNA and then move over to the W Punta Mita and cash in our points there. I'd like a decent beach experience and am fond of a few in Punta de Mita and Sayulita, so the W gets us a bit closer to those, too. I'll report back on our stays and what elite benefits each extends to Bonvoy members. Not feeling hopeful about benefits, but you never know...
FT likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Hola! Has anyone stayed here recently? We arrive later this week and am hoping for an updated 2022 report. We are frequent travelers to PV, so asking specifically about the Sheraton itself. It's our first time staying there, I am Titanium for what it is worth. Gracias.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by jtwiz
Hola! Has anyone stayed here recently? We arrive later this week and am hoping for an updated 2022 report. We are frequent travelers to PV, so asking specifically about the Sheraton itself. It's our first time staying there, I am Titanium for what it is worth. Gracias.
I'm currently staying on the timeshare side so can't comment on the hotel rooms themselves. But the property is not very crowded right now. Pools, gym, and spa are all working; beach is beachy (though bring swim shoes as the sand turns to rocks once you enter the water). From what I can tell, the hotel suffered no damage from Roslyn (unlike the Hotel Buenaventura a couple of properties to the south - see https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1290444718495076).

I hope that helps a little bit.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by lbbzman
I'm currently staying on the timeshare side so can't comment on the hotel rooms themselves. But the property is not very crowded right now. Pools, gym, and spa are all working; beach is beachy (though bring swim shoes as the sand turns to rocks once you enter the water). From what I can tell, the hotel suffered no damage from Roslyn (unlike the Hotel Buenaventura a couple of properties to the south - see https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1290444718495076).

I hope that helps a little bit.
Thanks lbbzman! Good to hear no hurricane (or earthquake) damage! Looking forward to getting back to PV.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:07 pm

I spent 3 nights here in mid-November and can reiterate the views of other recent posts - it's nothing particularly special but gets the job done for proximity to town, a decent pool, and a pretty good lounge breakfast.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Any recent stays, especially Elite benefits? I need 7 nights this year to renew Platinum status. So my wife and I are considering coming to PV for a week in early-mid Dec. The point redemption rates don't seem worth it for this hotel or the Marriott or Westin, so I'm look at pay rates.

I had done scuba diving twice on cruise port stops, and one time added zipline and driving by the Melocon. So if we come we could do much more in a one week stay. I like some kayaking/sailing, but wonder if that's possible around the beaches here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.