Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Was there last week.Was upgraded to junior suite.Agree the lounge food is quite reasonable and staff good.only grumpy employee was the doorman when leaving.
The Sheraton boat does go via Iconsiam on the way to Saphan Taksin but then straight back to Sheraton.A free IconSiam ferrt to Sri Phaya-dock between the Sheraton and River City.
xar likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by paolo64
They try hard to upgrade, at least to Junior but more commonly exec suite, for PLTs/TITs ( sometimes it doesn’t happen if they’re running a big conference). I don’t recall missing out on some kind of upgrade ( over 50+ stays)
Originally Posted by drron
Was there last week.Was upgraded to junior suite.
I believe ROS is the Marriott property in Bangkok with best odds of suite upgrades. This is in stark contrast with other properties in the lower range (Aloft, 4P, Courtyard) where suite upgrades are unlikely. You pay a bit more for ROS on average, but if space is important and if you are on a budget then ROS is an attractive choice.
paolo64 and xar like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by escape4
I believe ROS is the Marriott property in Bangkok with best odds of suite upgrades.
LM is also known for a very high historical success rate for PLT/TIT suite upgrades.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:14 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I just completed a 2 night stay here and was impressed by value I got out of this stay.
I booked a 2 night entry level stay which i managed to LFN. All in all, I only paid around around 160 USD with tax.
Was upgraded to their executive 1 BR suite which had nice 180 views of the river and Icon Siam.
The Club Sheraton lounge served free flow of alcoholic drinks and finger food from 5.30 to 7.30.
Breakfast was ok, weather gets pretty hot otherwise it would be great to have breakfast alongside the river.
There are 2 swimming pools. The 2nd garden pool, was 'discovered' on the date i checked out.
Staff were friendly and helpful with trip recommendations. Concierge guy (Sorry i am bad with Thai names) spoke very good english!
Travel by boat if you can. There is a free 30min shuttle service provided by Sheraton that takes you to Icon Siam (shopping mall) or Sathorn Pier (subway)
Intentional or not, the hotel is rather dated which seems like a memory trip for me back to 1990s.
The corridors leading to the rooms are rather dim and there was a odd "wet-carpet" type of smell.

Note: Cant post pics yet as it seems that FT isnt accepting any images as the moment.
margarita girl, Kacee and paolo64 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any cheap laundry service (they do it for you) or massage recommendation nearby?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
As you go out the entrance to the hotel walk left and then take the first street right. There are 2 or 3 places that do washing by the kg and also 1 or 2 massage places.
margarita girl and paolo64 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:18 pm

Thank you geminidreams.

Has anyone taken the train from DMK? I always have bad experience trying to take any sort of taxi from a Thai airport including Uber and Grab, either long wait or scam, I'm wondering if the train is worth considering.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thank you geminidreams.

Has anyone taken the train from DMK? I always have bad experience trying to take any sort of taxi from a Thai airport including Uber and Grab, either long wait or scam, I'm wondering if the train is worth considering.
No train at DMK. Take the A1 or A2 bus (30 thb) to Mo Chit BTS station (it's the 2nd or 3rd stop on the bus, about 20 mins total) and then transfer to BTS. It's very easy.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No train at DMK. Take the A1 or A2 bus (30 thb) to Mo Chit BTS station (it's the 2nd or 3rd stop on the bus, about 20 mins total) and then transfer to BTS. It's very easy.
Nonsense - there is a train but you have to cross over the highway so it isn't very convenient.

It goes to Hua Lumphong (main) train station which is quite close to the Sheraton According to the website below the fares range from 5 -20 baht but it may not be up to date

https://www.train36.com/bangkok-don-muang-train.html#OD

Oh and since the trains are coming from the North I wouldn't take the schedule as anything except a "general idea" the time can be off minutes to hours!
italdesign and Diplomatico like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by estnet
Nonsense - there is a train but you have to cross over the highway so it isn't very convenient.

It goes to Hua Lumphong (main) train station which is quite close to the Sheraton According to the website below the fares range from 5 -20 baht but it may not be up to date

https://www.train36.com/bangkok-don-muang-train.html#OD

Oh and since the trains are coming from the North I wouldn't take the schedule as anything except a "general idea" the time can be off minutes to hours!
Thanks for that information. Learn something new everyday here on FT.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I’m a keen user of public transport to/from airports if it’s feasible. In this case, I wouldn’t do it: bus to Mo Chit, BTS to Siam, change lines to Thaksin, then the hotel boat to the ROS? I’d give up on that and simply take a limo from DMK ( SP Limousine @950 Baht, AOT a bit more).
A comfortable Camry or Teana, non-lunatic drivers, reliable.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:12 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments on transportation. After some more research, I went with the DMK taxi queue. Got a pretty honest driver. Total journey took about 40 minutes on the tollway, including 10 minutes detour in the last 0.01 mile (we were basically in front of the hotel but were forced by traffic officer to turn left and make a huge detour). Total cost including toll and airport surcharge was 420 THB. If I got off just before the detour, would have been 30 minutes and ~380 THB.

Street laundry is 150 per kilo, seems expensive for SEA.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:19 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Any cheap laundry service (they do it for you) or massage recommendation nearby?
I always like the massage at Healthland as it's good and consistent, and there's one on Sathorn, so take the shuttle boat to the BTS and one stop to Surasek, then about a 10 minute walk or less. Pay with a Mastercard and ask for the 50% off which I think may still active but possibly ended with the high season here.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

Street laundry is 150 per kilo, seems expensive for SEA.
Yes I usually get it for 70 - 100b per kilo around Sukhumvit.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Yes I usually get it for 70 - 100b per kilo around Sukhumvit.
Bargained it down to 300 for 3.5 kilos w/o ironing. Didn't see any laundry in nearby "inland" streets on my casual walk today.

Had a tasty garlic pork dish for 45B nearby. The portion is just right and quite refreshing from the obesity-encouraging sizes in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.