Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by DaveMidknight
Sorry, but in this case I think that has nothing to do with Marriott. The hotel has been switching between giving Platinums breakfast in the restaurant and only in the lounge also before the merger. They only switched back after some bad reviews here and in TripAdvisor sometime last year. But the merger is a good excuse for the hotel.
I'd wager it is Marriott as LM BKK has also become less generous now offering either breakfast OR pts as an amenity. Wish I had more data points but I've been staying away from this debacle.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
None of the proper SPG hotels in Bangkok have wanted plats to forego points for breakfast - whether the property had a lounge or not. That two historically generous properties have "standardised" post merger clearly points the finger toward MaRiot.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I had a couple stays here in the last two months, and must somewhat question the kvetching here. This property has had a mixed history with breakfast, at times allowing restaurant breakfast for plats, at times not. The lounge is pretty good, and the breakfast options here are not that much worse than many full restaurant buffets. Bangkok properties have become pricey, and the fact that this place is still attainable at BRG rates of 1800-2200 THB makes it a pretty good option (as long as you can live with the location). If you care so much about breakfast, maybe give up the $5 worth of Marriott points?
drron and DaveMidknight like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Yes, that's the official policy, not the hotel choice. So if unsure, call any hotel before to know what to expect...and if you don't like it, stay somewhere else....and if you don't like any of the other Marriott offerings...time to look away...simple. Bear in mind, it's not all bad in the new Marriott world....some hotels are still great and go way beyond what they should....had that at a wonderful stay last week Marriott in HK, a Le Meridien few days ago...and today....staying at a JW Marriott way below average....so check ahead!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If and when the hotels sees a reduction in its bookings from elite members, it will return to being more generous. But you can't really complain about a hotel following official policy.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:16 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
if breakfast in the restaurant is a choice now thats a good change ! is it now ?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cln
if breakfast in the restaurant is a choice now thats a good change ! is it now ?
Breakfast in the resto was an allowance for a year (+/-) prior to the merger.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:57 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
thanks D for the clarification, i stopped staying there when it was not anymore.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:11 pm

The breakfast arrangement has changed again: Plat breakfast in feast is now offered in lieu of 1000 points ( formerly inclusive, briefly). On the plus side, the lounge breakfast now has a card to order eggs ( of every style), previously this was a bit ad hoc. It’s a good change for the ( excellent) lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:42 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
But, the service has slipped. It’s like the staff has been told not to interact with the guests anymore...l
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
I will not agree with the above. We stay there few weeks ago, and staff was amazing..and interacting. Breakfast in lounge is one of the best I've seen in lounges, so yes rules changed as per Marriott, but note that the lounge breakfast is more than adequate. Now, don't forget, it's easy to have a rate below 3000b, this is a steal if you are PLAT with all the upgrades and lounge access! They are not perfect, but for that price.... hard to complain!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
I will not agree with the above. We stay there few weeks ago, and staff was amazing..and interacting. Breakfast in lounge is one of the best I've seen in lounges, so yes rules changed as per Marriott, but note that the lounge breakfast is more than adequate. Now, don't forget, it's easy to have a rate below 3000b, this is a steal if you are PLAT with all the upgrades and lounge access! They are not perfect, but for that price.... hard to complain!
Yes, agree. If awards were given for Plat Value for Money, ROS would be a sure winner. At least all the rumours from a few years ago about them leaving the program have abated...although with Thai Airlines in such a dire state, they might seek to offload their stake ( assuming they haven’t done so already).
I did notice that usage of the boat service has increased a lot since IconSiam opened, and the boat drops off there enroute to the BTS pier.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
With ROS being the right side of river compared to M-Hilton, is it fairly easy to get a morning taxi to Sukhumvit road area? I find getting taxi to/from M-Hilton a right pain in the backside in the evening hence the 1nighter.

Considering a 1-nighter on an early morning Monday arrival that is my own day in Bangkok , before relocating to a Sukhumvit area hotel first thing Tuesday 7.30-8am for rest of week , hoping to miss the peak traffic period.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:15 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Getting taxis here was a pain you can get a taxi but the drivers will basically make up a rate they like
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Getting taxis here was a pain you can get a taxi but the drivers will basically make up a rate they like
Had this happen for early morning trip to airport from ROS. As driver pulled away, we noticed the meter was not on. We asked that he turn it on. He said it was broken. We said fine, stop the car. Miraculously the meter was fixed in 20 secs.

EuropeanPete and paolo64 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.