Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
No choice given for breakfast at the restaurant. Just the lounge.
Originally Posted by cln
this is standard, or were u given the choice for bf at restaurant ?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I stayed at ROS for a 1-night stay to check things out and see if this hotel has gotten as bad as some reports here, and in order to gauge if I will consider it for longer stays in the future.

Overall it was a mixed bag, but I would say it's better than the (low) expectations I had. I consider the main competitor of this hotel to be the Millenium Hilton, given that they are both international chain hotels, both suitable for tourists who want to be by the river, and both in a similar price range. While my comparison might not be as useful for SPG-only guests, it can be useful to compare similar hotels rather than compare the ROS to other SPG properties which are not in the same category (StR, SGS, PA).

The main weakness of the ROS is obviously the breakfast. There are no asian options for breakfast in the lounge; it would be so easy to fix this. When in BKK, I do not want my breakfast to be North American style. Give me choice. In the restaurant downstairs it felt a bit chaotic, sub par service, and suboptimal seating arrangement. The spread is good but I did not find the food to be as delicious as other hotels in the city. At Millenium Hilton, the lounge has a far superior breakfast, and the restaurant is better although by a smaller margin. Hilton gives Diamond members the choice where to eat breakfast, while ROS makes you pay for the restaurant. That is a significant minus.

Some people have mentioned that the offerings in the lounge in the evening were going downhill. Actually I was positively surprised. If I compare with the Millenium Hilton, there is no comparison possible. The Millenium Hilton has very limited hot food options while ROS has three plus a hot crispy option, plus a food station handled by a chef which changes every day. I had noodle soup when I was there and it was excellent. There are also several desserts in the lounge while M Hilton has almost no sweets.

The river-facing suite at ROS is nice, but it's better at M Hilton. The suite at the Hilton is brighter while the ROS is quite dark. I prefer having the large living room in the Hilton and do not mind the smaller bedroom; ROS has seating available in the bedroom while the living room is quite small. There are two bathrooms at M Hilton which is convenient; only one in ROS.

The ROS gives generous free upgrades to suites if available with good success rate, while the M Hilton will make a Diamond member pay for a suite if a basic room was booked.

Overall I was pleased with my stay. Not perfect but given the price I found there is decent value.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Any other recent reports from this property. We have a 5 night reward stay from 12/27-1/1 (28k Standpoints).

I am Marriott plat matched to SPG plat. Will love to hear what I should expect.

When I booked the room, I was gold instead of platinum if that matters.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
You got what you pay for there. It's a cheap property and the experience is nothing fancy but i would say a good value for money because they are generous with platinum upgrade. Except that, it's not a fancy property at all...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

The ROS gets the job done and I would especially stay there on a BRG (and select 2000 points). Plats usually gets upgraded to a spacious suite and HH drinks are of decent quality.

Other than that, it’s an average hotel. I usually stay here when I want to get out and explore the city, as opposed to the SGS which I find hard to leave the confines of the hotel.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks guys.

We have a 5 year old kid and the only draw was this property has a good view of fireworks from the room. (So that we don't miss out if she sleeps off). Hope that is still true.

If you think there is another Marriott/spg property with better (or even similar) view of celebrations, please suggest and we will check it out.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The place is in high demand for fireworks view so upgrades may be tough to get (even though normally they treat plats well).
Confirm river view ahead of time either with extra points or upsell if you plan to watch from your room.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
The place is in high demand for fireworks view so upgrades may be tough to get (even though normally they treat plats well).
Confirm river view ahead of time either with extra points or upsell if you plan to watch from your room.
Every room description says river view.

​​​​​​​I would suggest try to be seated early in the lounge.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver
Good evening,

I'm checking in tomorrow for 2 nights (SPG plat), I'll keep you posted if it's interesting

Best
Sophie
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Thanks, most suites are sold out, so I won't expect an upgrade. I am.hoping that they will give us a good room from the river view room we selected.

​​​
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Every room description says river view.

I would suggest try to be seated early in the lounge.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.
Originally Posted by Sophie Lecomte
Good evening,

I'm checking in tomorrow for 2 nights (SPG plat), I'll keep you posted if it's interesting

Best
Sophie
​​​​​​​thanks, will wait for your inputs.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver
Hello,

I hope this message finds you well ! As promised here's an update on the ROS as SPG Plat. We were upgraded without asking to an Executive Junior Suite with a really nice view on the Chao Praya river. It almost has a "suite" feel, more than junior, as the living room is separate from the bedroom by wide tv screens.

So far I feel more comfortable here than at the Millenium Hilton just in front of the Sheraton. The lounge offer at the ROS is nice, and I found breakfast to be really good in general (lacks maybe 1 or 2 items I usually enjoy, but eggs and salmon will make up for it . The team is very friendly and efficient. And they asked (without asking) if we wanted a late check out.

Best
SOphie
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sophie Lecomte
Hello,

I hope this message finds you well ! As promised here's an update on the ROS as SPG Plat. We were upgraded without asking to an Executive Junior Suite with a really nice view on the Chao Praya river. It almost has a "suite" feel, more than junior, as the living room is separate from the bedroom by wide tv screens.

So far I feel more comfortable here than at the Millenium Hilton just in front of the Sheraton. The lounge offer at the ROS is nice, and I found breakfast to be really good in general (lacks maybe 1 or 2 items I usually enjoy, but eggs and salmon will make up for it . The team is very friendly and efficient. And they asked (without asking) if we wanted a late check out.

Best
SOphie
Thanks Sophie. This is very useful. Please enjoy your stay.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I stayed at this hotel for a decade and breakfast was always available in the restaurant. The last GM put an end to that. I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.

These days, the hotel is just fine. The staff are great. The rooms ok. And, the view as good as ever.

They still don't have any furniture in the lobby, which made things awkward during the conference there earlier this week.

But, I heard that breakfast will soon be permitted in the restaurant downstairs, again for Platinum members.

I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Yes, Platinum breakfast downstairs is back and that's good news. They made a point of mentioning it ( indeed recommending it) at checkin yesterday. Also,, cocktail/happy hours now 1630-1930 ( previously from 1730 IIRC).
I didn't take breakfast downstairs because I prefer the more relaxed time in the lounge ( clearly others chose downstairs as the lounge was empty).
So for anyone wanting the more varied spread, this is good news.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, Platinum breakfast downstairs is back and that's good news. They made a point of mentioning it ( indeed recommending it) at checkin yesterday. Also,, cocktail/happy hours now 1630-1930 ( previously from 1730 IIRC).
I didn't take breakfast downstairs because I prefer the more relaxed time in the lounge ( clearly others chose downstairs as the lounge was empty).
good news indeed.

i may stay there again for mattress run.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64

Never tried the breakfast downstairs, is it competitive with other SPG properties in town with regards to spread and quality? Also, will there be lots of tour groups at breakfast downstairs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.