Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I am also a fan of this place, and prefer it to the Westin. It can be a pain to get too by car but to get around I just hop on the courtesy shuttle boat the Saphan Thaksin BTS station and use the Skytrain.

Land-of-Miles must have had a bad experience here methinks.
LOL no I haven't really, I said I had not stayed there, but I had visited the property, I just don't really like the riverside location (having stayed at the Hilton, Shangri La, Oriental and Peninsula), since it really doesn't tend to work for where I want to be when in BKK. I can see why other people might like it, it's just that personally I would avoid the area at all costs if I wanted to get out and about rather than just have an overnight hotel stay. The Shangri-La seems to be the best of the riverside properties since you have the BTS immediately adjacent, but generally in BKK I prefer to take taxis where possible and where the journey will not end up taking years off my life

I did actually consider the ROS just over a week ago when I had an unexpected stay in BKK which involved only time in the hotel then off to the airport, but the current Meridien promo swung me over to the Plaza.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
LOL no I haven't really, I said I had not stayed there, but I had visited the property, I just don't really like the riverside location (having stayed at the Hilton, Shangri La, Oriental and Peninsula), since it really doesn't tend to work for where I want to be when in BKK.
You should give it a try, it's a decent place and they look after Plats. Corner Suites and access to the nice Exec lounge.

I've also stayed at the Shangri La and Hilton. I prefer the ROS to the Hilton. Of course depending where you need to be on business comes into it but if you're not working then you'll be fine.

I didn't like the look of the Meridien when I visited for a meeting with some friends but am trying it out next month due to the LM promo.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: HH Gold, LH SEN, *Wood Platinum
Tower Room on Points

Has anyone had recent luck booking a "Tower Room" using points at this property?

I was able to book an upgraded award to Tower Room last year (for something like 1,000 extra points a night IIRC), which was a great value as it came with lounge access - good breakfast and evening snacks as an earlier poster pointed out and you practically have to beg them to stop serving you free drinks - free in-room internet, and several free pieces of laundry each day. I tried to book the same deal again today, but the SPG rep said she could not find any rooms with lounge access and suggested that I save points and go for the upgrade at check-in. Even when she was kind enough to call the hotel to check, the only additional info I received is that they're at about 30% capacity for my travel dates and my chances for an upgrade are very good.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:21 am
Suspended

Sections of the tower floors were still under renovations last month; and although it was bookable online the front desk agent insisted these rooms should have been blocked and they probably have done so now.

Since you are SPG Platinum, wont you get lounge access anyway ?
While the towers rooms are fresh and new, its quite small and the decor does not really reflect the location of the hotel. The exec suites are much nicer accomodations
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:52 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
New Executive Lounge open on 27th Floor

I was fortunate that the day I checked in this week was opening night of the new Exec Lounge on 27. All the managers were greeting customers and taking photos.

The lounge looks great. And will accomodate many more people. It looks like it has been set up with many tables that will sit 4,5 or more people. They've used a few rooms overlooking the river, end units that are usually the suites plus some.

Reception Desks greet you as you approach from the hallway.

What is normally the 2 end suites are the main part of the lounge behind the reception desks. Boardroom to the left, a bar serving drinks from the centre of the room, and lots of seating with great views out of the many windows.

To the right of the main lounge area is more seating, at least 5 couchs areas, each with its own full length window overlooking the river. Another dozen tables in this wing, either with bench against the wall or table/chair sets on their own. Each end has a large flat screen tv.

Food area is tucked in the back corner and is quite a bit larger than the last area. Behind this room is the kitchen

Computer area in the far back has 3 desktops and another large window out to the river.

As usual, the ROS does a great job of taking care of it's regular guests, platinum or not.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Local Restaurants

The inhouse thai restaurant is quite good (and expensive) but I like to try somewhere else for a change.

Nothing in River City look interesting to me; and I have no idea how to get to the massive restaurants across the river, not looking forward to walking through deserted soi at night.

Can someone recommend a decent thai restaurant (decent in terms of food, dont mind simple ambiance) nearby without having to take a cab. Or maybe I should just take a dinner cruise from River City .....

Thanks
Old May 27, 2008, 1:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by mario33
The inhouse thai restaurant is quite good (and expensive) but I like to try somewhere else for a change.

Nothing in River City look interesting to me; and I have no idea how to get to the massive restaurants across the river, not looking forward to walking through deserted soi at night.

Can someone recommend a decent thai restaurant (decent in terms of food, dont mind simple ambiance) nearby without having to take a cab. Or maybe I should just take a dinner cruise from River City .....

Thanks
just as you come into the soi to get to the hotel there is an excellent thai restaurant that i have eaten in a number of times over the years- most recently in february- called gallery cafe. phone 639 5580. you will not be disappointed.
Old May 27, 2008, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abk
just as you come into the soi to get to the hotel there is an excellent thai restaurant that i have eaten in a number of times over the years- most recently in february- called gallery cafe. phone 639 5580. you will not be disappointed.
Is this the one with a spa attached, looks a bit touristy but will try it !

Thanks
Old May 27, 2008, 2:00 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by mario33
Is this the one with a spa attached, looks a bit touristy but will try it !

Thanks
it is not really that touristy. if you are willing the travel a short distance i also like tongue thai which is near the oriental although i have not been there recently.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:23 am
Suspended

New Executive Lounge

Not sure I like the new lounge better. Though larger, it lacks the "wow" (as well as the bright and airy) feel which the old lounge had with no part of the old lounge further than 10-20ft away from the panoramic windows.

The new lounge is very much larger with a thai-less decor and looks much more like a nightclub (dark woods and corners, semi-high back red chairs, bar counters etc). Service is almost non-existent outside of cocktail hours (had to search for staff just to get a drink).

Its does offer more privacy and it is more comfortable no doubt, but unless you are seated next to a window you wont even know you are in Bangkok. Having seen the new towers room and this new lounge, it looks like the ROS is abandoning the thai decor in their new design. A shame really, because of all the Starwood properties in Bangkok, only the ROS makes me feel I am in Bangkok.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:36 am
Suspended

Nearby Restaurants

Originally Posted by abk
Agreed food is good and atmosphere is nice, but the "cafe" name seems misleading. Its more of a semi upscale thai restaurant targetted at tourists, not the kind of place a typical thai family would go to. Prices very similar to the inhouse thai restaurant at ROS.

The huge restaurant across the river (Yok Yor) is accesible by complimentary boat transfers at the River City. Mainly locals here with karaoke singing indoor, and alfresco dining by the river which is nice with most diners respecting the non-smoking rule. However if they ask whether you like the food spicy, say NO ......
Old Jun 15, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So how hot is spicy at Yor Yuk? I've eaten there a number of times and really like it - but can't remember having anything too spicy.... I do tend to like very spicy
Old Jun 15, 2008, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet
So how hot is spicy at Yor Yuk? I've eaten there a number of times and really like it - but can't remember having anything too spicy.... I do tend to like very spicy
My "local-spicy" tom yum kung was hotter than anything I had eaten during the past 3 years, and as you know I live in SE Asia
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:16 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
update on ROS construction

Their website still indicates 'special condition' of construction.
I SWORE I'd never stay again after staying through construction that DID disturb.
Even my spa treatment was destroyed by noise - and they did nothing...

However, it is closest to my business, and hence am willing to give it another shot...
provided someone has update on the construction??
Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:38 pm
Suspended

The last time I was there (like several weeks ago) they were still renovating the rooms on a couple of floors. I am surprised you were "disturbed" at the spa since the renovations were on the higher floors while the spa is at the lower section, unless the renovations have suddenly moved down.

With the number of rooms at this hotel, it looks like room renovations will be a common feature for a long time; I believe they started almost a year ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.