Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by tatia
I have an overnight at ATL coming up in January and would like to stay by the airport. The Cyber Monday sale has the ATL airport Marriott and the Rennaissance ATL for the same price. Would people recommend either of these hotels? Thank!
Atlanta Airport Gateway is actually the closest, easiest to get to/from the airport and the nicest of the Marriott properties near the airport, IMO. If it's on sale for the same price, go for it. You take a quick, free train that leaves from just outside the airport door to the hotel, so you don't have to get in a scary van and take the thrill ride from the airport to the hotel. It's the same train that goes to the Rental Car Center.

Of the two mentioned, I prefer the Ren.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"In time for holiday celebrations, the Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners announces the completion of a major renovation and refresh to its public spaces that includes the lobby and front desk; nearly 5,000 square feet of meeting and conference space; swimming pool; as well as the addition of a trendy new dining spot, Restaurant 4-7-5.

The new Restaurant 4-7-5 offers a locally sourced menu designed by renowned Chef Robert Mitchell. The inspired American cuisine is served with a distinctly Southern flair incorporating the produce of local farmers and seafood of regional fisheries to create well-crafted, freshly prepared offerings drawing from Chef’s experience in Southern, Cajun and Creole cuisines. Restaurant 4-7-5 is becoming a neighborhood favorite for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Additional new upgrades at the hotel include a redesigned swimming pool and deck area, contemporary new furnishings and soft goods throughout, as well as the hotel’s signature personal service that makes it a preferred location for guests and the community."

http://globenewswire.com/news-releas....ZWTUTyUK.dpuf
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
$78 million dollar renovation of Atlanta Marriott Marquis is complete. Press release on Marriott website:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/06/atl...ransformation/

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus
Stayed at the Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners last week. Although the new lobby looks nice, the guest rooms are the still the old and dated design, furniture, bathroom etc. Similarly, the concierge lounge is quite boring: food and decor.

The hotel does have signs advertising updates of rooms and lounge. I do not plan to go back until after the planned updates.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Renaissance Waverly Place Stay Report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28280450-post7.html
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, this thread has been pretty quiet for the past couple of years. I have an upcoming trip to Atlanta, need to be in the downtown area. Does anyone have any recommendations / places to avoid? First time in the city. Clean rooms and non smoking top priority, a pool would be nice. Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by emma69
I have an upcoming trip to Atlanta, need to be in the downtown area. Does anyone have any recommendations / places to avoid? First time in the city.
No particular recommendations on hotels, just be aware Atlanta has been experiencing a dramatic spike in crime and that the city police department is way understaffed. Last year, the Chief even announced that they would no longer arrest shoplifters [article: CBS46 - Understaffed Atlanta Police Department to ease up on certain crimes, March 22, 2018] and things have gotten worse since then.

Most of the crime increase appears to be happening in Buckhead -- an off duty FIre Department Captain was shot during a robbery there Saturday, in the middle of the day -- so I suggest avoiding that area.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
No particular recommendations on hotels, just be aware Atlanta has been experiencing a dramatic spike in crime and that the city police department is way understaffed. Last year, the Chief even announced that they would no longer arrest shoplifters [article: [url=https://www.cbs46.com/news/understaffed-atlanta-police-department-to-ease-up-on-certain-crimes/article_59f5f65a-25d8-55ed-b955-0e8f28bc7e28.html]CBS46 - Understaffed Atlanta Police Department to ease up on certain crimes, March 22, 2018] and things have gotten worse since then.

Most of the crime increase appears to be happening in Buckhead -- an off duty FIre Department Captain was shot during a robbery there Saturday, in the middle of the day -- so I suggest avoiding that area.
Ah, lovely. It isn't a personal trip so I rather need to go, but will avoid Buckhead (seems to be further out that my meetings will be in any case). Can anyone speak to the hotels in the downtown area?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
The Residence Inn downtown is in a cool, historic building. I've stayed there twice recently with no issues. Downside is no restaurant/bar but walking distance to ones.

The Aloft is newish and nice, but is a little out of the way. I enjoyed my stay there, but if you're not from a big city you may find it a little scetchy to be on the side streets. No resturant but a full service bar and the standard alof "market" for sandwiches and snacks. I believe it has a pool but I've never used it.

I have seen a lot of cockroaches around the Sheraton downtown (though none in the rooms to be fair) and it's in a bit of a seedy area so I avoid it

I haven't stayed in either but the Westin and Marriott (and the Hyatt if that matters)have indoor-skyways connecting the three hotels to surrounding downtown buildings and peachtree center if that's something you'd find useful.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
The Residence Inn downtown is in a cool, historic building. I've stayed there twice recently with no issues. Downside is no restaurant/bar but walking distance to ones.

The Aloft is newish and nice, but is a little out of the way. I enjoyed my stay there, but if you're not from a big city you may find it a little scetchy to be on the side streets. No resturant but a full service bar and the standard alof "market" for sandwiches and snacks. I believe it has a pool but I've never used it.

I have seen a lot of cockroaches around the Sheraton downtown (though none in the rooms to be fair) and it's in a bit of a seedy area so I avoid it

I haven't stayed in either but the Westin and Marriott (and the Hyatt if that matters)have indoor-skyways connecting the three hotels to surrounding downtown buildings and peachtree center if that's something you'd find useful.
Thank you for the input! I hadn't looked at Residence Inn, so will have a look. The Sheraton comment made me shiver, and not in the good way! I think I will rule that one out now, thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...nGC17EhgLC7MO/

It looks like the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead had a little problem over the weekend in that thieves broke into their valet lockbox and stole multiple car keys and multiple cars. (I've stayed here multiple times and I don't plan on being back if I can help it. I'll be across the street at the JW Marriott.)

Last edited by GTJoe; Mar 10, 2019 at 2:34 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Can anyone comment on the W Hotel in the downtown area of ATL? We last stayed at the Marquis and have stayed at the Ritz and The Glenn. We're seeking something new.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Can anyone comment on the W Hotel in the downtown area of ATL? We last stayed at the Marquis and have stayed at the Ritz and The Glenn. We're seeking something new.

Thanks!
It's the nicest W in Atlanta imo since it was built as a W, not a renovation of an old hotel like the other two Ws. I've never stayed there but it's a little bit isolated from the rest of Downtown. Fine to walk to the Georgia Aquarium during the day but seems like you need to drive/Uber to go anywhere at night.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm planning a trip to Atlanta, mainly close to Emory area for a couple of days. Will rent a car. Like to use my Cat-5 free nights. Look for newer property, club lounge, possible Platinum upgrade and good/easy parking. Shop and restaurants are nice, but not necessary. Car can take us most places.

Looking Buckhead and Mid-town areas:

Buckhead: W., Marriott, JW Marriott, Westin and the Whitley
Mid-town: W., Ren and Marriott Suite

Not sure if I'll consider downtown. Do not like the traffic.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm planning a trip to Atlanta, mainly close to Emory area for a couple of days. Will rent a car. Like to use my Cat-5 free nights. Look for newer property, club lounge, possible Platinum upgrade and good/easy parking. Shop and restaurants are nice, but not necessary. Car can take us most places.

Looking Buckhead and Mid-town areas:

Buckhead: W., Marriott, JW Marriott, Westin and the Whitley
Mid-town: W., Ren and Marriott Suite

Not sure if I'll consider downtown. Do not like the traffic.
I can't speak for Buckhead, but if you stay in Midtown, the Renaissance is your best choice. The Suites are mediocre at best and the W Midtown is probably one of the worst in the entire former Starwood portfolio.

Not that I recommend staying downtown, but honestly your travel time to Emory will be about the same regardless of whether you're commuting from Buckhead, Midtown, or Downtown. Midtown may be the best but the difference would only be a few minutes. They all have their follies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.